D*rby to be relegated? | Page 66 | Vital Football

D*rby to be relegated?

Can understand your view but must dispute it. When I started watching, and it's a long time ago, the rivalry existed but that's all it was,, the nastiness that we see today never existed in those days, not at Forest or Notts. In fact it was possible to find yourself in the same pub as the opposition supporters and even having a bit of a joke with them, can't ever remember a punch up. But times have changed for the worse in my opinion.

Honestly can't think that my remoteness has any connection. Bet you're a good bit younger than me.

Football hooliganism was far worse in the 70s and 80s. I don't buy the rose tinted view of yesteryear (no offence intended here), I just think you look back on the positives and remember things more fondly. Also depends what circles you move in.
Most of us who have lived/worked in the Nottingham area will have worked/been friends with Derby fans. It isn't raw hatred between the two sets of supporters and most of us will have enjoyed friendly banter down the years. I've never seen or been caught up in trouble at matches between Forest and Derby, or any other visiting team. The genuine trouble causers are few and far between.
The rivalry and vitriol on a forum is largely just that. I'll laugh at Derby on here and take some pleasure from their plight, but equally the Derby supporters I know absolutely have my sympathy. We aren't able to be vindictive, it's not down to us. We're re just along for the ride.

Last edited:
Isn't everybody?:-)
I started watching in the days of Billy Walker so maybe not a good bit, perhaps a bit. In my regular attendance seasons under Johnny Carey (that great '67 team) Derby were irrelevant.

That's interesting, as I started watching in the days of Billy Walker also, but if I remember right he was the Forest manager for a good many years, over 20 if my memory serves me right. Even so you're still a bit older than I thought.
I left England for Oz in 1965 so missed Johnny Carey, came over for a holiday in 1980 and saw 1 game versus Everton I think. It was a shocker, I was with my young brother and he reckoned it was about par for the course.
The opening couple of words on your post hit the spot, but I can't stop now.

:thumbup:

Football hooliganism was far worse in the 70s and 80s. I don't buy the rose tinted view of yesteryear (no offence intended here), I just think you look back on the positives and remember things more fondly. Also depends what circles you move in.
Most of us who have lived/worked in the Nottingham area will have worked/been friends with Derby fans. It isn't raw hatred between the two sets of supporters and most of us will have enjoyed friendly banter down the years. I've never seen or been caught up in trouble at matches between Forest and Derby, or any other visiting team. The genuine trouble causers are few and far between.
The rivalry and vitriol on a forum is largely just that. I'll laugh at Derby on here and take some pleasure from their plight, but equally the Derby supporters I know absolutely have my sympathy. We aren't able to be vindictive, it's not down to us. We're re just along for the ride.

Yes, agree with most of that. I was living in Oz in the 70s and 80s so can't give an opinion on those years, my time was well before then. But I have read several times of punch ups in the car park, bricks thrown through the bus windows and the like and stuff of a similar nature, all second hand of course.
I think that my sympathy with Derby probably goes back to the days when some of us used to go over to watch them play occasionally, in those days they had a great side which left us for dead with a forward line (5 of them) all internationals.
I think you're right about the rose tinting to a degree although I do my best to keep it in check.

I don’t want Derby to go out of business - I never have. I reserve that for Liverpool and one or two others.

After the shit we got from them for dropping into league one I was more than happy to watch them struggle last season and I will be delighted if they drop to league one and delirious if they drop to league two as well for a spell.

The latter probably won’t happen but the former is looking more likely by the week which will be enough for me.

Then I want them to get the next in a long line of shitty American owners just to make sure that any form of success remains out of reach.

I don’t want Derby to go out of business - I never have. I reserve that for Liverpool and one or two others.

After the shit we got from them for dropping into league one I was more than happy to watch them struggle last season and I will be delighted if they drop to league one and delirious if they drop to league two as well for a spell.

The latter probably won’t happen but the former is looking more likely by the week which will be enough for me.

Then I want them to get the next in a long line of shitty American owners just to make sure that any form of success remains out of reach.
Problem is, I can see Derby being one of those that come straight back up as champions with momentum, having had a cracking year not suffered at all

I'd like to see Derby in the Prem.
The Northern Prem.

Can you imagine if Liverpool went out of business? It would be like the crucifixion. They would become deities and no team's achievements for then onwards until the end of time would ever be comparable with the great, mythical, Liverpool FC in their pomp - a faultless and extraordinary club that should have been allowed to live but, in some ways, died so that humanity can find a better way. Anfield would become not just a museum but a place of pilgrimage for all football fans the world over. They would have to build a new airport to name it after the club - The You'll Never Walk Alone Airport.

Can you imagine if Liverpool went out of business? It would be like the crucifixion. They would become deities and no team's achievements for then onwards until the end of time would ever be comparable with the great, mythical, Liverpool FC in their pomp - a faultless and extraordinary club that should have been allowed to live but, in some ways, died so that humanity can find a better way. Anfield would become not just a museum but a place of pilgrimage for all football fans the world over. They would have to build a new airport to name it after the club - The You'll Never Walk Alone Airport.
don't forget West Ham and Arsenal.

That could all be solved with a dirty bomb… 😳

Problem is, I can see Derby being one of those that come straight back up as champions with momentum, having had a cracking year not suffered at all

No offence but what you see happening & what actually happen are usually very different things.