D*rby to be relegated? | Page 21 | Vital Football

D*rby to be relegated?

The EFL can get rid of Trevor Birch while they are at it; he is a former CEO of Derby.

None of it will make the slightest difference as it is not the Board who determine what sanction is applied; that is if there actually will be one.

It appears the Independent panel who impose sanctions, are dragging their feet in the hope that Derby are sold to a new owner; they can then impose a lenient sanction, possibly with a suspended element, and get themselves off of the hook.

I have read and re read the panels findings and I am still not sure what the can charge Derby with.

They have submitted accounts which have been accepted by HMRC without question.

The EFL are not claiming one of their rules have been broken, they are claiming accounting standard FRS 102 has not been adhered to; if that is the case it is surely an FRC issue and not an EFL issue.

I do not think the EFL have a leg to stand on.

The EFL can get rid of Trevor Birch while they are at it; he is a former CEO of Derby.

None of it will make the slightest difference as it is not the Board who determine what sanction is applied; that is if there actually will be one.

It appears the Independent panel who impose sanctions, are dragging their feet in the hope that Derby are sold to a new owner; they can then impose a lenient sanction, possibly with a suspended element, and get themselves off of the hook.

I have read and re read the panels findings and I am still not sure what the can charge Derby with.

They have submitted accounts which have been accepted by HMRC without question.

The EFL are not claiming one of their rules have been broken, they are claiming accounting standard FRS 102 has not been adhered to; if that is the case it is surely an FRC issue and not an EFL issue.

I do not think the EFL have a leg to stand on.
Aren’t they hoping that Derby will be told to redo their accounts in compliance with said standards?

The assumption is that when they do that it will show that they have broken FFP at which point they can be penalised accordingly.

That was my initial take on it anyway but not sure how viable a course it will prove to be...

Aren’t they hoping that Derby will be told to redo their accounts in compliance with said standards?

The assumption is that when they do that it will show that they have broken FFP at which point they can be penalised accordingly.

That was my initial take on it anyway but not sure how viable a course it will prove to be...

That is a distinct possibility, but it would be retrospective action by the EFL.

If there were rules in place which stipulate that certain accounting standards must be adhered to, it would be an open and shut case.

I reckon the EFL are banking on one thing; a new owner comes along and the EFL strike a deal.

In return for a free ride at the fit and proper stage the new owner accepts a token punishment; the EFL can then go and put their own house in order and hopefully stop making things up as they go along..

That is a distinct possibility, but it would be retrospective action by the EFL.

If there were rules in place which stipulate that certain accounting standards must be adhered to, it would be an open and shut case.

I reckon the EFL are banking on one thing; a new owner comes along and the EFL strike a deal.

In return for a free ride at the fit and proper stage the new owner accepts a token punishment; the EFL can then go and put their own house in order and hopefully stop making things up as they go along..
That certainly wouldn’t surprise me but at the same time it has received a lot of publicity which means they will need to do some very fast talking to avoid looking even more incompetent than they already do.

The reality is though that Derby will once again be seen to ‘get away with it’ in circumstances where other clubs feel that they have been punished.

The only point of interest now is if there is actually a buyer out there that would want to take the club on. I am sort of hoping not in the short term...

That certainly wouldn’t surprise me but at the same time it has received a lot of publicity which means they will need to do some very fast talking to avoid looking even more incompetent than they already do.

The reality is though that Derby will once again be seen to ‘get away with it’ in circumstances where other clubs feel that they have been punished.

The only point of interest now is if there is actually a buyer out there that would want to take the club on. I am sort of hoping not in the short term...

There are reports that Gary Cook has an American consortium lined up; Gary Cook is the very same person who got the Poker Player involved at Wigan, and look how well that one went.

There are reports that Gary Cook has an American consortium lined up; Gary Cook is the very same person who got the Poker Player involved at Wigan, and look how well that one went.
We can only hope...

In fairness I would see relegation as sufficient ‘punishment’ for their continued shenanigans regardless of whether it was sanctioned by the EFL or resulting from their own incompetence.

The EFL are in a very difficult position.

They want shut of Mel because he has exposed their incompetence.

The only way that happens is if a new buyer comes along.

Any prospective buyer is going to want reassurances from the EFL.

They know that if they impose a penalty with Mel still in charge he will take them to court.

The EFL are in a very difficult position.

They want shut of Mel because he has exposed their incompetence.

The only way that happens is if a new buyer comes along.

Any prospective buyer is going to want reassurances from the EFL.

They know that if they impose a penalty with Mel still in charge he will take them to court.
The only question there is whether Mel would soften his stance in order to sell and accept a ‘token’ punishment.

The longer this drags on the more it is going to cost him even if he wins any appeal and I think they could struggle badly next season if he is still there. I am guessing they can’t afford to sack Rooney either...

So the Panel have waited close on a Month and come back with a measure which everyone expected; the only problem being that no one is going to provide amended accounts between now and in 44 days time when the season kicks off.

That gives Mel a whole season to take the EFL to court.

Some good may come of it; you would think that exposing the EFLs incompetence will result in change, although I am not holding my breath.

Unfortunately it aint going to happen.

If the method of amortisation is wrong why are HMRC not taking them to court?

If the method of amortisation is wrong why did it take the EFL three years to establish the fact, or rather Middlesbrough to point out that they where using that method?

It is retrospective legislation which will not wash.
Surely the HMRC would only be interested if the returns gave incorrect tax, which I've not seen anyone suggest. Whereas the idea is that the incorrect accounting allowed them to hide what would have been an FFP breach