D.I.Y. Thread | Vital Football

D.I.Y. Thread

SKEGGY

Bringer Of The Seasons
A thread to discuss D.I.Y.

I've got to fit some skirting boards over the weekend. Shouldn't be a problem but got some pipe work to negotiate. Pray for me

I fixed a fencel panel yesterday. That sense of accomplishment you get is brilliant.

I need to somehow fix one of the dials on the gas hob, but dont know where to start.

I have a myriad of jobs to do throughout the summer, the most important of which are; Repair flat roof over veranda and shed including new guttering, dig a 1.5m deep trench and install a waterproof membrane along the front of the house to stop the water seepage into the cellar, build new steps to the veranda (main entrance to house), paint entire house

and then the less important but would be nice to do; remove non structural basement wall, rebuild basement staircase, convert existing basement office+laundry+cupboard+hall space into new basement bathroom/laundry, new wardrobes in bedroom, lots of decorating, rip up garden hedges and replace with fence, build garden shed, convert existing and aforementioned shed (it's more like an external cupboard as it's part of the house) and cloakroom (not wc, just for coats and shoes) into combined cloakroom/study, install new kitchen and refurbish WC.

Oh yeah, and there's a bit of car maintenance, changing break pads and the like.

In reality I expect to complete the first list and if I'm lucky one or two things from the second list.

Used to love DIY, used to buy and sell houses. I do far less now due to energy really and also time. Works takes a lot of time so better to get staff at it really!

Having my garage converted end of this month Wurzel, will let you know how it goes. It is going to be a dungeon... ahem, I mean gym.

I've got all the important bits bought already, you know, mirrors and nice posters of girls.

Wurzel - 5/4/2013 09:53

Please Ian especially if they are good at brick laying.

I converted about 1.5 metres at the back of an internal garage into a toilet/utility room last year.

Never done any bricklaying but as it was such a small job I got pissed off after about 3 brickies failed to turn up and built the wall myself. As long as you can get the knack of getting the mix right then it's not too bad.

I used metal wall connectors each end, made it so much easier, just make sure you read up on what insulation you should use. It will probably need to go under the floor as garages are not usually insulated, and you will need to insulate the new wall in the right way. My mate did a similar job in the area of a different council and they wanted different insulation, so maybe speak to the building regs dept at your local council, I found them much more helpful than the planning dept.

Most of it is just common sense. Take your time. You can probably do it near enough as good as a pro, but it will just take a lot longer.

SKEGGY - 5/4/2013 15:48

So skirting boards easy or not lol

Pretty easy, but most of the time the walls are not square. Fit one flat to the wall, right up to the side wall, and then cut the profile of it out of the next one so that it fits neatly.

Don't piss around with 45 degree angles unless it's an external corner. Cutting the profile out makes a much neater job.

The only D.I.Y i have ever enjoyed is tiling. I like the idea of using tools and all the rest of it but 10 minutes into the job and i am swearing and cursing.

I renovated a garden once. Smashed up a big garden shed with a hammer, got rid of the paving slabs and put down the grass seed. Very satisfying now to see it all.

Never done any bricklaying, that does seem like one I would enjoy.

I don't need a diy Hubby: My ex and Mr Kefkat were/are usefully apprentice trained joiners and so is my 2nd son so no diy needed here. Just the professionals at nil cost

Skeggy Mr Kefkat says get a Mitre Box, which will make the job easier for doing the corner mitres and the outsides mitres. They cost about £6-00 he says.

Mr Kefkat says it depends on what the walls are like as to how easy it is re how straight and well plastered they are

Failing that pay someone to do it Mr Kefkat says

neilh111 - 5/4/2013 16:47

SKEGGY - 5/4/2013 15:48

So skirting boards easy or not lol

Pretty easy, but most of the time the walls are not square. Fit one flat to the wall, right up to the side wall, and then cut the profile of it out of the next one so that it fits neatly.

Don't piss around with 45 degree angles unless it's an external corner. Cutting the profile out makes a much neater job.

What an easy job. Perhaps due to the fact I got my mate to do it and I made him a brew!

Only just starting to take an Intrest in football this past year. Being 7 too he doesn't remember the better days, His best friend is a Spurs fan and he went through a stage of wanting Spurs stuff but with no pressure he decided to follow the Villa.

Well im glad this thread is here, im just about to move into my first council house finally, had to decorate the whole house top to bottom carpet and paint every wall ceiling and skirting board

And after this experiance i have realised i am shit at D.I.Y my dad did most things for me carpets especially ye went to college and have an HNC in engineering wheras my dad left school when he was 14 never been to college in his life but still can do jobs i can not

I couldn't wallpaper as the rolls i got cost me £20 a roll from B&Q some Lawrence lewellyn Bowen design, and i was too scared to cock it up :3:

I can confirm iam a disapointment to my father oh well theres the garden for him to do for me soon for the kids in the summer :17: