D Day | Vital Football

D Day

Rexn

Vital Champions League
There has been some fantastic coverage of the commemorations both yesterday and today.

Even remotely, it is hard not to be emotional when hearing the stories of the few survivors who remain, now in their 90s but paradoxically radiant in their humbleness. For 75 years they have lived with the terror of going into the unknown and horrors of brutally losing friends with who they had served for months or years in preparation.

Some saw the whole day through and for months beyond. Some were on the beaches for minutes before suffering severe injury. Some were captured. Loved ones were left with uncertainty for long periods without the opportunity to say goodbye.

To those who are left and those who never came back, we salute you.

Last edited:
Some relived that day everyday for the rest of their lives my grandad did but never spoke about it, very sad because it broke him but he put on a brave face 19 years old and witnessed his friends being shot in front of him, my grandmother reckoned he went to war as a boy and came back as a broken man. Not much counselling available back then very sad

Makes my skin crawl when I see these narcissistic reality TV pricks off Geordie Shore, love Island and the rest going on the way they do ESPECIALLY when they are in tears over something pathetic. I think of this - June 6th 1944, kids the same age about to embark on the biggest amphibious operation the world has ever seen. Looking at all the young faces in your unit KNOWING not all of you are going to come back.

I remember when we got deployed to Afghanistan when the world trade centre got hit! The fear, the nerves and the experience is something I never want to go through ever again. The difference there was that was a choice, I decided to join up knowing what could happen. WW2 was different, you got called up and that was it, not really much choice. If you were lucky you could choose which of the forces you wanted to join. Many many casualties but only physical injuries were counted, you were either wounded or killed. No such thing as PTSD back then, was known as shell shock and a sign of cowardice.

The sad thing is 75 years on and there's STILL nothing to support veterans. Yes there are independent charities and organisations out there but nothing that's officially funded and run by the MoD/Government. In the US they are treated like celebrities, heroes etc, here it's "thanks now, see ya". The forces take our kids break them down to build them back up to act, think and behave a certain way but there's nothing that turns soldiers back into civvies. Many just can't adjust and the suicide rates for ex forces is far too high.

Agree Uk rocks although the Vietnam veterans were treated like shit but it seem the USA learnt their lessons. I never knew the story of my grandad until he was dead but by all accounts he was a very brave man but as i say he suffered for his bravery