D DAY 1971 n/g | Vital Football

D DAY 1971 n/g

GRSoldie

Vital Youth Team
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9259063/Royal-Mint-marks-50th-anniversary-Decimal-Day.html

I know this made sense but I would still prefer 240 pennies to the pound. I remember the price of my pint went from 1 shilling and 9 pennies to 10 pence overnight. I was outraged that my pint increased by threepence and I announced I was giving up drinking beer. I think I lasted 20 minutes before I caved.

It might be my memory but we didn't have inflation back then like we do now. Prices only increased by a half penny or just the one penny whereas nowadays price increases can be 20 or 30 pence.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9259063/Royal-Mint-marks-50th-anniversary-Decimal-Day.html

I know this made sense but I would still prefer 240 pennies to the pound. I remember the price of my pint went from 1 shilling and 9 pennies to 10 pence overnight. I was outraged that my pint increased by threepence and I announced I was giving up drinking beer. I think I lasted 20 minutes before I caved.

It might be my memory but we didn't have inflation back then like we do now. Prices only increased by a half penny or just the one penny whereas nowadays price increases can be 20 or 30 pence.
Inflation is remarkably low at the moment. Serious inflation in the 70's.

I can remember the day, I was working at Speke (Liverpool) airport and was going in for the late shift starting at 2pm, but forgot to take my lunch from home, normally a pasty or sandwich but for some reason that day forgot.
I opted to go to the restaurant at the airport for a bite to eat and joined the queue at the till, it took ages of course as well as having foreign currency that they were taking abroad they had the added problem of working out the cost of their grub with the new UK currency.
The couple in front of me were really worried about coping with their money in Bulgaria, I told them they would have done better holidaying in Blackpool, oh no he said we would have the same problem with the new currency there anyway.

I was working part time and after school and remember my wages going from £2.9&6 to £2.50 . A tanner rise for nuffink.
Get in there my son.
I do remember my Granny being very confused about it all.

Half a crown. How great does that sound. How big was that coin and how heavy. A solid piece of spending power all 30 big pennies of it. An absurd system but with a host of instantly recalled calculations and references. I stopped cringing when people gave up talking about about half a p and new pence and it was very weird when beer went from 2 bob, a florin to 10p. I miss the really old coins that had survived from victorian and georgian times and the gradual changes but we've made up for that in 50 years.

Half a crown. How great does that sound. How big was that coin and how heavy. A solid piece of spending power all 30 big pennies of it. An absurd system but with a host of instantly recalled calculations and references. I stopped cringing when people gave up talking about about half a p and new pence and it was very weird when beer went from 2 bob, a florin to 10p. I miss the really old coins that had survived from victorian and georgian times and the gradual changes but we've made up for that in 50 years.
I’ve got loads of old coins from Victoria to QE2.
A big tin full.

Watching George and Mildred today. They got two portions of cod and chips, two pickled onions, and two cups of tea for £1.80!

Anyone remember the jamboree bags! Used to get one on a monday morning from the shop in maidstone road (no i dont fucking know if it was half way up or half way down) It cost sixpence and lasted all week!
Depends which shop. If it was the corner shop opposite the Queen's Head in Woodside it will have been half way down.

I remember nicking a bottle of Cream Soda with my brother (very sophisticated drink in those days we believed) from that shop. We went back after drinking it and got the 3d deposit 'back'.:grinning:

Nobby, please don't report me.

Depends which shop. If it was the corner shop opposite the Queen's Head in Woodside it will have been half way down.

I remember nicking a bottle of Cream Soda with my brother (very sophisticated drink in those days we believed) from that shop. We went back after drinking it and got the 3d deposit 'back'.:grinning:

Nobby, please don't report me.

It was on the corner of Maidstone Road and Herbert Road! We lived in Hathaway Court off Cheriton Road/ Derwent Way!

My first ever football match was in the late 1960s at Norwich, then a mid-table Div 2 side. Entry was 2/6 and the programme was sixpence. That's 15p for both in today's money! God, I feel old.

When I first started getting pocket money - 2/6 but I could go out and buy an Airfix kit with that!
Also 2/6 - that went a long way - comics and sweets to be exact.

When you can remember shillings, threepenny bits, sixpenny pieces, etc it makes you sound ancient. However I think coins in the UK will disappear within the lifetime of my generation. Then it will be 'What! You had lumps of metal in your pocket to trade for goods - just like the Romans - get out of here!'.