Current Squad | Page 3 | Vital Football

Current Squad

Always wonder why the club does not generally use the third year scholar route that I know other clubs have used.Not sure of the full implications but it has to be cheaper.
Don’t know but I guess it comes down to budget as the third years would all have to be paid all be it the scholars don’t earn much.

Did Woods sign a new deal then? Don’t recall it being announced if he did. Hanlan Also shouldn’t be included until news of him signing is announced, as he is now effectively an ex-player as his contract has expired.
Well Woods and Hanlan both played in the Colchester match, so both still at the club, all be it nothing has been announced regards them agreeing new terms yet.

Can someone up date please ideally including any youth teamers in a box at the bottom that might be good enough to make the seven man bench.

Well Woods and Hanlan both played in the Colchester match, so both still at the club, all be it nothing has been announced regards them agreeing new terms yet.

Nothing to stop them being used as trialists or guest players.

Can someone up date please ideally including any youth teamers in a box at the bottom that might be good enough to make the seven man bench.

GK: Bonham
Walsh

DF: Jackson
Ogilvie
Medley
Tucker
(Probably need at least 2 , maybe 3 more to come in here)

MF: O'keefe
Mellis
MacDonald
Dempsey
Willock
Woods

Wide FWS/ST: Coyle
Hanlan*
Akinde
Graham
Oliver
Bancroft

Regarding youngsters, Woods and Bancroft look like the only ones remotely troubling the first team at the moment. Evans said in his pre-match interview before Colchester that any youngsters that played in that game should not be under the impression they will be anywhere near the first team.

Regarding youngsters, Woods and Bancroft look like the only ones remotely troubling the first team at the moment. Evans said in his pre-match interview before Colchester that any youngsters that played in that game should not be under the impression they will be anywhere near the first team.
A interesting comment. Perhaps planning to just try to stick with the same 18 players all season. It could work as long as we don't get too many injuries or suspensions.

A interesting comment. Perhaps planning to just try to stick with the same 18 players all season. It could work as long as we don't get too many injuries or suspensions.

I think you’re right Chris. Last year we basically kept the same 18 just rotated those, with a couple in/out in Jan. Those outside the 18 were very much surplus. And in the current Covid climate I can’t see the point in brining in a player that’s not even going to sit on the bench. Bit of a waste of scarce money.

Only reason we might go with a slightly bigger squad is due the the extra games in shorter time. Sat/tue/sat games might take a toll.

Good reason to have some of the utility players we have that can cover 2 or 3 areas.

Thinking of players still needed. A quick left wing back who can also play as a winger would be useful. Ogilvie can of course move to central defence.Having the option on the bench would be very useful.It would also allow Evans to switch to playing a three with Jackson and this other lad pushing right forward.

Thinking of players still needed. A quick left wing back who can also play as a winger would be useful. Ogilvie can of course move to central defence.Having the option on the bench would be very useful.It would also allow Evans to switch to playing a three with Jackson and this other lad pushing right forward.

With players like Coyle and Graham in the squad as wingers, and maybe Mellis. Plus with 2 big lads up top and some long throw merchants. Surely 442 or 433/451 is the way to go.

Do we really want to try 532/352 with wingbacks?
Not for me.

I’ve always thought of wingbacks as players who aren’t quite decent enough as out-n-out wingers, and not defensively sound enough to be outright full-backs.

So I hope Gillingham will play 4-4-effing-2 👍

With players like Coyle and Graham in the squad as wingers, and maybe Mellis. Plus with 2 big lads up top and some long throw merchants. Surely 442 or 433/451 is the way to go.

Do we really want to try 532/352 with wingbacks?
Not for me.

I’ve always thought of wingbacks as players who aren’t quite decent enough as out-n-out wingers, and not defensively sound enough to be outright full-backs.

So I hope Gillingham will play 4-4-effing-2 👍
To a extent playing a deep midfield player and pushing your full backs forward is the tactics we played all season. It is not that far from playing 3 centre backs. Evans doesn't really use wingers we were quite narrow last season most of the width was provided by the full backs.