Current Squad: June 2020 | Page 3 | Vital Football

Current Squad: June 2020

Still alright for central midfielders then.
Although MA did tell Jack Payne back in January that he could go, if he could find a club. I'm not convinced he will still be here when the season does kick off, and what likelihood is there that Bradley will have a significant part to play? That leaves us with three CMs, so still plenty of movement possible.

I would expect Coker,Payne and Bradley to leave sooner rather than later. Also Adebayo-Smith I expect will go out on loan,although you would hope it would be a higher level than Gainsborough.

At this point a contract is gold dust. Many better players than these will be unemployed or playing for significantly reduced contracts.

Already a notably young squad, and I have a feeling Coker will be moving on soon.

EDIT: 24-year-old Jones is our sixth oldest player.

If Coker does move on then we will have nobody 30 or over in the squad which is truly astounding! Have we ever had a squad with nobody over 30 in it before?

Expecting the 4 players mentioned above to not be here next season. Bradley perhaps around.

So would expect:
2 GK’s, RB, 3 CB’s, LB, 2 WG’s, 2 CM’s, 1 CAM, 1 ST

Or something similar. Some will be youngsters, some will be loans. I expect all will be good deals for us financially.

Reasonable basis for a squad, though a little young and maybe lacking a bit of experience for L1. Agree with Impish on players needed and think we need at least two experienced players (CB & MF), perhaps in the mould of O’Connor and Bossie (would be good if he re-signed) plus we need a good captain to lead on the pitch. Maybe also a forward with a bit more ‘presence’ and nous 🤔. I do wonder whether the Covid break has delayed MA’s development plans and the coming season will be more about recruitment and getting the basis of a solid L1 squad to push on the following season (Not that it would be a problem - patience required).

Goalkeeper - i would like to see an experienced head there towards the end of their career - someone that has played at a high level but now looking to fill their afternoons with league 1 football. If the youth team keeper is promising he can be backup learn from the older pro and play in cup matches etc.

Goalkeeper - i would like to see an experienced head there towards the end of their career - someone that has played at a high level but now looking to fill their afternoons with league 1 football. If the youth team keeper is promising he can be backup learn from the older pro and play in cup matches etc.

I just want a good 'keeper, of any age. I think the options we've had since we've been back in the League (Gilks, excepted) have largely been average.

I just want a good 'keeper, of any age. I think the options we've had since we've been back in the League (Gilks, excepted) have largely been average.

i dont think we can afford a good keeper at a young age - they tend to be investments!

I do wonder whether the Covid break has delayed MA’s development plans and the coming season will be more about recruitment and getting the basis of a solid L1 squad to push on the following season.
It's the same for every club though, so those challenges are relative in much the same way as any other season. We may actually be in a better place than many clubs because we are better capitalised and have the season ticket money from 4,100 renewals. Survival must be almost impossible for the poorly supported clubs in the division such as Accrington, Rochdale and Burton. I wonder how AFC Wimbledon are coping, with their hopeless financial outlook? Some League One clubs have large numbers of players under contract - one medium-sized club has 26. That is going to be very damaging for them.

At least MA started his recruitment work in January and is already well down that path. That decision to change direction appears to have been an extremely good one, and now fortuitous.

Yep, I'm sure it will. He seemed a pretty calm presence anyway but it can't harm to have played there before.
Forgive my typo, it should have read gave rather than have, which I have now edited. I was fortunate to be seated behind the goal when Allsop made his remarkable save in the 1st half at Wembley against Shrewsbury.

Forgive my typo, it should have read gave rather than have, which I have now edited. I was fortunate to be seated behind the goal when Allsop made his remarkable save in the 1st half at Wembley against Shrewsbury.
You probably had a much better view than us then, stuck on the back row! Still a great experience though.