Current Squad: December 2020 | Page 5 | Vital Football

Current Squad: December 2020

I've not seen any more updates since the 'hopefully February' comments round about Christmas.

But given the transfer window action has not included a striker, either as a loan or permanent, hopefully that's an indication that Morton's rehab and return to training is on track and the management team are happy with the cover options they have.

Looking at one or two Premiership line-ups and formations over the weekend, here's another, slightly curve-ball option : Grant as a 'false 9' slightly withdrawn behind say Scully and Johnson. With Sanders now in the squad it opens that up as an option.
maybe we did try to sign a striker, but it didn’t work out. They are the most expensive options, and if we target a good one, it is likely other teams did the same. and we are possibly competing with championship teams for signings now.

quite like the curve ball option.
another thought is that we are playing more and more along the grass than earlier in the season, and there are very few games where we are under constant pressure and need a player like hopper to just smash a clearance up to. In which case the option to play johnson, Rogers or scully in the centre role becomes more realistic.

maybe we did try to sign a striker, but it didn’t work out. They are the most expensive options, and if we target a good one, it is likely other teams did the same. and we are possibly competing with championship teams for signings now.

Fair point, I'm naively assuming we got the targets we wanted again! I did also think the decision was made that our striking options are fine for the rest of this season, depending on when Morton is back in contention.

Targets for the summer can then be progressed depending on which league we will be in next season, that may also impact on loan continuations.

'when morton is back' is the one remaining question regarding the forward line.
it appears to have slipped to late feb/early march last time i heard appleton mention it. unclear as well what that timescale refers to. is it, starting back in training? or, back fully fit and ready to play in the first team?

I've not seen any more updates since the 'hopefully February' comments round about Christmas.

But given the transfer window action has not included a striker, either as a loan or permanent, hopefully that's an indication that Morton's rehab and return to training is on track and the management team are happy with the cover options they have.

More recently, MApp said he is coming back to training with us this month and will, hopefully, be available by the end of the month or the beginning of March, if that helps.

This is where we stand against the 22-man squad requirement:

21+:
Anderson, Archibald, Bramall, Bridcutt, Edun, Grant, Hopper, Howarth, Jackson, Jones, McGrandles, Montsma, Palmer, Poole, Sanders, Walsh (16)

U21:
Cann, Eyoma, Johnson, Long, Morton, Rogers, Roughan, Scully (8)

Is not Sanders classed as U21 as his birthday was 04/01/99?

Is not Sanders classed as U21 as his birthday was 04/01/99?
Correct!

This is where we stand against the 22-man squad requirement:

21+:
Anderson, Archibald, Bramall, Bridcutt, Edun, Grant, Hopper, Howarth, Jackson, Jones, McGrandles, Montsma, Palmer, Poole, Walsh (15)

U21:
Cann, Eyoma, Johnson, Long, Morton, Rogers, Roughan, Sanders, Scully (9)

So if I've understood the changes for next year: If we lost all of the loan players but none of our own and Sanders + Scully step up to 21+ we would have 16/20 in the older age group.

You would then look at which of Ross, Melbourne and Elbouzedi remain at the club taking us potentially to 19/20.

On that basis I suspect there will be some movement out as whoever is first choice keeper is more often than not a more established age taking it up to the full complement.

I imagine MA will want a bit of flexibility to sign one or two in the 21+ age bracket.

Still plenty of flexibility to be had there and subject to contracts expiring this summer, hopefully more flexibility than a lot of clubs for the 'senior' player category.

The Championship is different - the squad limit is 25, but that includes loans under 21:

https://www.efl.com/-more/governance/efl-rules--regulations/section-6---players/

43.9 Squad Lists

43.9.1 Clubs shall be permitted to name up to a maximum number of Players in their Squad List based on the following provisions:

(a) in respect of Championship Clubs, 25 Players of which a minimum of 8 must be a Home Grown Player;

(b) in respect of League One and Two Clubs:
(i) in Season 2020/21, 22 Players of which a minimum of 8 must be a Home Grown Player; and
(ii) in Season 2021/22 and each subsequent Season, 20 Players of which a minimum of 8 must be a Home Grown Player.

The limit set out in Regulation 43.9.1(b)(ii) increases to 22 for any Club relegated into League One, for its first Season following relegation.

43.9.2 The following Players do not need to be included in the Squad List to be eligible to play in League Matches:

(a) in respect of Championship Clubs, any Under 21 Player (save for any Under 21 Player who is registered with the Club on a Temporary Loan Transfer); and

(b) in respect of League One Clubs and League Two Clubs, any Under 21 Players.

Guidance

Under 21 Players who are on Loan to Championship Clubs are counted towards the 25 Player limit for the purpose of the Squad List Regulation.

In other words, 19 of our players would count towards the 25-player squad limit in the Championship, whereas 15 count towards the 22-player limit in League One currently.

Update after the signing of Max Sanders:

Goalkeepers: (2)
Sam Long, 18 (unknown)
Alex Palmer, 24 (season loan from WBA)

Ethan Ross, 23 (June 2021) (on loan to Weymouth to the end of the season)

Defenders: (9)
Joe Walsh, 28 (unknown) Centre-half
Lewis Montsma, 22 (June 2023) Centre-half
Sean Roughan, 17 (June 2023) Centre-half / left-back
Tayo Edun, 22 (June 2022) Left-back
Adam Jackson, 26 (unknown) Centre-half
Cohen Bramall, 24 (unknown) Left-back
Regan Poole, 22 (unknown) Right-back / centre-half
Hayden Cann, 17 (June 2023)
Centre-half
TJ Eyoma, 20 (season loan from Spurs) Right-back / centre half

Max Melbourne, 22 (June 2022) Left-back (on loan to Walsall to the end of the season)

Central Midfielders: (5)
Jorge Grant, 26 (June 2023)
James Jones, 24 (June 2023)
Max Sanders (June 2023)
Liam Bridcutt, 31 (unknown)
Conor McGrandles, 25 (unknown)

Wingers: (3)
Harry Anderson, 23 (June 2021)
Theo Archibald, 22 (unknown)
Remy Howarth, 23 (June 2021)

Zack Elbouzedi, 22 (unknown, 'long-term deal') (on loan to Bolton to the end of the season)

Strikers: (5)
Tom Hopper, 27 (June 2023)
Anthony Scully, 21 (June 2021)

Callum Morton, 20 (season loan from WBA)
Brennan Johnson, 19 (season loan from Nottingham Forest)
Morgan Rogers, 18 (on loan from Man City to the end of the season)

Total: 24
Contracted: 22
In on loan: 5
Out on loan: 3

Average age at 31 December 2020: 23 years 0 months
(excluding players out on loan)
Poole’s contract indicated to be two and a half years in MA’s post-Gillingham interview

Sam Long, 18 (unknown)

Regan Poole, 22 (June 2023) Right-back
Centre-half

Max Melbourne, 22 (June 2022) Left-back (on loan to Walsall to the end of the season)

Max Sanders (June 2023)

Zack Elbouzedi, 22 (unknown, 'long-term deal') (on loan to Bolton to the end of the season)

Sam Long, 18 (unknown)

Regan Poole, 22 (June 2023) Right-back
Centre-half

Max Sanders (June 2023)

Not going to steal ScotImps thunder, but looking at this I reckon most of the ‘unknown’ will be beyond this season with Archibald my main doubt as to contract length,
Harry is listed as expiring this season but when he signed a ‘long term contract’ in 2019 was described as being well beyond his previous contract which was due in 2020, so to me suggests 2022 at least.

Not going to steal ScotImps thunder, but looking at this I reckon most of the ‘unknown’ will be beyond this season with Archibald my main doubt as to contract length,
Harry is listed as expiring this season but when he signed a ‘long term contract’ in 2019 was described as being well beyond his previous contract which was due in 2020, so to me suggests 2022 at least.
I hope you are right about H. Big if, but should we be promoted it would be fantastic for him personally to represent the club in four different divisions.

I can't imagine many players in relatively modern times have done that; maybe a Swansea player along the way?

I hope you are right about H. Big if, but should we be promoted it would be fantastic for him personally to represent the club in four different divisions.

I can't imagine many players in relatively modern times have done that; maybe a Swansea player along the way?
Was just going to agree and then I remembered there will be at least one from Luton - Pelly Ruddock-Mpanzu, who joined them initially on loan before signing permanently shortly after (similarly to Harry) in 2013 when they were in the Conference and is still playing for them now in the Championship.

Britton for Swansea I think? Bournemouth and Hull might have some?