Current N/G Events | Page 2 | Vital Football

Current N/G Events

There are many stories circulating ... including the sighting of a fast jet approaching just before the explosion (the Beirut Correspondent for France 24)
Leila Molana-Allen

@Leila_MA
·
20h

My apartment in Beirut was just blown apart. We think it was a missile from a jet. We're ok.

& anon - that most of the country's grain was stored nearby ....

Last edited:
There are many stories circulating ... including the sighting of a fast jet approaching just before the explosion (the Beirut Correspondent for France 24) & anon - that most of the country's grain was stored nearby ....

let's hope not. Gross negligence already on the table with storing so much of it in one place. We dont need any state involvement

I don’t believe there were jets fighting over but it only needs someone to come in and sabotage the building. Israel will naturally have the finger pointed at them after threatening Lebanon literally days earlier. Not to mention Israel’s comments the day before:

That said, it only takes an honest accident to cause this. By having this much ammonium nitrate stored for 6 years next door to a fireworks warehouse in a built-up area of a capital city?! It’s daft.

Overall though, countries shouldn’t be concentrating on this, but rather co-ordinating relief efforts.

I said to my wife yesterday that I think it might be the work of Israel, when it was reported the port was controlled by Hezbolla. But I love conspiracies.

If, BIG IF, someone set it off intentionally, I'd bet they were not expecting this scale of destruction. I'm not sure you see/hear military jets incoming when they doing anything but landing -more when they're over or have passed. We have F 16's coming and going all the time, and by the time you're aware of them, they're just beyond directly over you.

I don’t believe there were jets fighting over but it only needs someone to come in and sabotage the building. Israel will naturally have the finger pointed at them after threatening Lebanon literally days earlier. Not to mention Israel’s comments the day before:

That said, it only takes an honest accident to cause this. By having this much ammonium nitrate stored for 6 years next door to a fireworks warehouse in a built-up area of a capital city?! It’s daft.

Overall though, countries shouldn’t be concentrating on this, but rather co-ordinating relief efforts.
And that's the point, the fact that it was there for so long is the problem.
Storing it anywhere is quite safe, even next to relatively high temperatures (unless it is mixed with an accelerant like fuel oil etc).
Problem comes when its been sitting for a while, a little moisture gets in and it solidifies into, basically, a big rock. Then it becomes unstable.
So, either someone has been negligent by letting it sit for so long or (for LSB2 and other conspiracy theorists, like me 😉) it was deliberately mixed with something and detonated.
Managers from the depot have apparently been put under house arrest which would suggest the negligence theory..........or are they scapegoats? 🤔

"Managers from the depot have apparently been put under house arrest which would suggest the negligence theory..........or are they scapegoats? "

If I were them, I'd be requesting -nay, demanding- protective custody.

On C4 news they identified that it came from a ship that diverted to Beirut for repairs. As required the Lebanese impounded the ship as it wasn't sea worthy. The ships owners effectively abandoned it 6 years ago leaving the Lebanese no choice but to take the cargo off and impound it.

Jeez all that damage from something that was never scheduled to be there.

I imagine there are few nervous people working out legally whether it was still their cargo !

Macron flew out there a day or two afterwards to encourage a revolt? Have I got that right?

On C4 news they identified that it came from a ship that diverted to Beirut for repairs. As required the Lebanese impounded the ship as it wasn't sea worthy. The ships owners effectively abandoned it 6 years ago leaving the Lebanese no choice but to take the cargo off and impound it. Jeez all that damage from something that was never scheduled to be there. I imagine there are few nervous people working out legally whether it was still their cargo !

As "cover stories" go, this one, if it is one - I suspect it is, falls right into place for covering delivery and storage of explosives and munitions for illicit purposes. Disgustingly, there would be people in power who`d have been aware of what was going on and prepared to acquiesce over the danger. I haven`t looked closely so could be wrong, but, anyone else notice how thick the still standing section of the city facing wall around the "warehouse" seems to be ? More than a token of protecting the city, but clearly not enough to deflect a huge explosion. Wouldn`t be surprised to see some scapegoat executions by hanging at some time in the future. People can be horrible creatures..

Probably standard practice to have a weak sacrifical wall facing the Sea if you are storing explosive material. Force any blast away from the population.

Not effective if the blast is that big though

Is there still 2,500 tonnes of ammonium nitrate being stored at Chatham docks? Been there for about 12 years if it is. I remember the council being worried it could be used by the IRA.

Could well be wrong, but the "protective wall" looks a bit like damaged storage siloes to me :hmmm:

Just had a more detailed look, you`re right they are grain silos.

However, i`m no architect, but the way the silos are compacted does seem to be a clever way of putting up a discreet quasi explosive shield !

Someone who does know her stuff has kind of agreed: BBC website -

Genevieve Langdon, Professor of Blast and Impact Engineering at the University of Sheffield, said the grain inside the silo would have compacted under the enormous blast pressure, but would also have absorbed and deflected some of the blast.

"As the blast wave struck the silo wall, it probably dissipated a great deal of energy," she said. "Without the grain silos in the way, we expect the damage in the area behind them would have been even worse."

The grain silos - the large white building on the dockside - took the brunt of the blast.