Cult Villa Players | Page 2 | Vital Football

Cult Villa Players

Both Joachim and Vassell had pretty similar playing and scoring records as Angel and Dublin but I rarely see them mentioned as far as past players go.

Really liked both of these guys. Joachim was at the club a lot longer than I thought he was as well. In my memory he just sort of materialises the season Yorke left. Never really noticed him till suddenly he was our top goalscorer. Never kicked on from there though. I saw him play for a Villa old boys 11 that played a charity game against a squad of lads from work. He grabbed a hat trick and didn't look like he'd lost too much of his pace despite putting on a few pounds. He was still playing non league not long ago as well.

Vassell I always thought Could have done a lot more with his Career than he did. I think his penalty miss for England at the euros really knocked his confidence and he was never the same afterwards, though he always seemed to score against us for man city.

Not the best known but Brian Godfrey who never gave up. Charlie Aitken should be in here too, maybe Alan Wright too, certainly not the best but always tried h tv o outjump his opponent despite being so small.
Getting old now but forgive me if my memory is Mal functioning. Remember when our po met dynamo out jumped Peter Crouch?

De La Cruz? I thought he was absolute dog shit but he had an awesome name and there was something quite likeable about him.

There could be loads of these.
Kent Nielsen - never heard of the fella before we signed him. Formed a great partnership with McGrath and will never forget the thunderbolt he scored against Inter at VP. Not sure why Big Ron got rid of him so soon, but he then went on to win the Euros with Denmark afterwards.
Garry Thompson - really just for the promotion season. The bloke was a brute who bullied defenders and was great in the air. Villa fan too which helps.
Never really considered Dalian an all time great, but would definitely put him in this bracket. Bags of talent and scored some brilliant goals. If he had the same desire as Deano he'd have been a world beater
Dalian,cudda,wudda,shudda.

Not the best known but Brian Godfrey who never gave up. Charlie Aitken should be in here too, maybe Alan Wright too, certainly not the best but always tried h tv o outjump his opponent despite being so small.
Saw Godfrey make his debut along with another old favourite Brian Greenhalgh.
Always liked Brian Godfrey, another one who gave his all in the claret n blue.

De La Cruz? I thought he was absolute dog shit but he had an awesome name and there was something quite likeable about him.

He wasn't the best but he did occasionally pull off a spectacular dribble or cross to create something. Scored a cracking goal vs Charlton as well. Couldn't defend to save his life of course.

Just looked him up and he's now a congressman for the ruling party in Ecuador. Is he the first Villa player to become a politician after his football career has finished?

Last edited:
He wasn't the best but he did occasionally pull off a spectacular dribble or cross to create something. Scored a cracking goal vs Charlton as well. Couldn't defend to save his life of course.

Just looked him up and he's now a congressman for the ruling party in Ecuador. Is he the first Villa player to become a politician after his football career has finished?

He use to fund his home village when he was playing if I recall correctly , sounds a decent bloke

Saw Godfrey make his debut along with another old favourite Brian Greenhalgh.
Always liked Brian Godfrey, another one who gave his all in the claret n blue.

Was that the game against Blues at home when they won 4-2 and it seemed the Holte had more Bluenoses than Villa fans?

Luc Nilis for me as well.

He was one hell of a player, incredible talent, did amazing things at PSV, scored a wonder goal for us against Chelsea and really looked like we had something special, career cruely ended.

Definitely a 'might what have been' if not a cult hero.