Crystal Palace v Aston Villa - Match Thread | Page 28 | Vital Football

Crystal Palace v Aston Villa - Match Thread

Never ceases to amaze me how quickly some people want to write players and sell them. Anyway back to the point, Watkins was very poor today but that’s why we bought Ings, so we have options if one is struggling. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Ings coming back in next week.

The optimum response is the coaching staff and Ollie recognise the weaknesses in his game, work on it, and he becomes an even better player. Feedback is a gift and all that, he could be a dynamite player if he could do some of the basics well

dynamite player if he could do some of the basics well
Exactly.
It's the easy basic stuff that's letting him down. So many times he has lays offs available and he chooses the wrong option. As you say, this is coachable stuff that can get him looking a more complete player.
He's annoying at times, but too early to be letting go

My thoughts:
1. Matt Cash limited their best player to the point he got hooked with 20 minutes left and chasing the game.
2. The tweak to the shape of midfield is paying dividends, with Nakamba able to be what he is supposed to be (ie. holding in the central area) and McGinn/Ramsey sliding across to support/cover the full-backs.
3. Watkins isn't a hold-up player, never has been, never will be. So I feel the criticisms of him are OTT. We don't have that type of attacker in our squad, so unless we're going to play Keinan Davis away from home, we have to accept that our centre-forward will get out-muscled when playing with back-to-goal. His movement and running in-behind today was very good. Thankfully the team is transitioning away from the default long ball from Mings, so as they develop, those moments will get fewer. He (Watkins) should have had two penalties out of the three times he was brought down in the box today.
4. Kouyate committed at least four fouls today that would have been a yellow with a non-blind referee. He completely cleaned out Bailey midway through the first half, and Bailey barely put in a challenge after that. I worry that Bailey doesn't have the requisite mental toughness to survive in this league.
5. See above re the referee - absolutely abysmal.
6. Could be just coincidence or new manager bounce, but our substitutes are actually making an impact! El Ghazi and Buendia with a lovely combination that led to the second goal.
7. Our away fans are simply the best in the country. Selhurst is a noisy place, yet you could hear the Villa fans throughout.

A more “measured” approached by Gerrard let’s say. I hate saying it’s obvious but it is clear it’s defense first under Stevie. Maybe not even defense but just the basics first and then we play.

dare i say a great start but what ever you do in life, if you are too soft, you will pay the price and get took to the cleaners,,,seanie

And the train service from the ground is a joke. Delays and now they have just announced the train isn't stopping at the station where we parked ffs.

Can see improvements with our midfield with immediate effect.
Today we played like the way we were playing under McAllister when houllier went off Ill. I think anyway. similar.
What is going on with these refs? The ref today was beyond a joke. I don't mind refs getting the odd decision wrong or the odd call of judgement wrong. As they are human. But Jesus Christ. Come on. FFS.
Overall a solid performance and a great foundation now to push on from.
Ollie is a little concerning though but I am sure he will come good.