Crystal Palace v Aston Villa - Match Thread | Page 37 | Vital Football

Crystal Palace v Aston Villa - Match Thread

Sorry Sil but you’re using a still to “prove” a point that gets undone by watching actual footage of the incident. You’re not winning this one.

I do agree that Doug’s tackling technique is poor however. He seems to try and win the ball with his hip. It needs work, but he’ll never be good at it.

Hopefully his positional play can make up for this.

Sorry Sil but you’re using a still to “prove” a point that gets undone by watching actual footage of the incident. You’re not winning this one.

I do agree that Doug’s tackling technique is poor however. He seems to try and win the ball with his hip. It needs work, but he’ll never be good at it.

Hopefully his positional play can make up for this.
Best one I've seen was few weeks ago when Lansbury booted that bloke up in the air , then they showed the whole incident and you then understood the full context

It's much worse than I originally thought: Based on this still Douggie's leg must have actually teleported through the Palace player's leg.

Or, you can't prove shit with a single 2 dimensional blurred still shot from your preferred angle.

Maybe you can write to the FA to ask for the red card to be reinstated.
somebody said it wasn't studs up :LOL:Regardless of angle , it shows the studs are up , I was furious at the time as it looked like he was about to cost us valuable points again

It's much worse than I originally thought: Based on this still Douggie's leg must have actually teleported through the Palace player's leg.

Or, you can't prove shit with a single 2 dimensional blurred still shot from your preferred angle.

Maybe you can write to the FA to ask for the red card to be reinstated.
:clap::clap: Anyone can make anything look the way they want with the benefit of slow motion and camera angles. Similarly, anyone who has ever played football knows exactly the type of challenge that was - step across the ball and use your leg/body to prevent the opponent winning it.
I could freeze-frame every single tackle from every single match in the last ten years and say "if he'd made contact with the opponent it would have been a foul."
If Dougie's challenge was a cautionable offence then Kouyate, Saha and Milohilevic would have all been off before half-time.

1638193269356.png

somebody said it wasn't studs up :LOL:Regardless of angle , it shows the studs are up , I was furious at the time as it looked like he was about to cost us valuable points again

We're getting too focused on this particular incident imo.

I agree with what I think is the core of your complaint, Doug is crap in the challenge. Let's be honest, he has put in silly challenges before, but I don't think we can use this one against him.

He looked okay when he came on, but I do get nervous when he's defending around our box... Ghazi and Buendia were the ones that really gave us a much needed energy boost when they came on.

It's a bizarre argument really. A red card gets overturned correctly by common consent of almost everyone including 2 refs and we go on and win the game .

Not sure why it can't be left at that.
I like bizarre arguments. Just ask Mrs gmv (or my dog, or my cat)....

Luiz is being treated like Mings it seems. Is Luiz the only one , has Luiz been the only one who has made occasional bad or mistimed challenges? . The way it‘s portrayed is that there is a huge never ending list of misdemeanours.
Pretty sure there was a moment in the BHA match where I winced because I thought Marv had left one on one of their players. And I wasn’t the only one either. The lad behind me said red card straight away.

Similarly there was time where when Mings was blamed for every defensive lapse whether he was actually at fault or not . It becomes a focus and easy to concentrate on to suit at the expense of others doing similar . And it’s not a reason to sell Luiz nor is it because he is having a relationship with a female player from the club,

I too find bizarre that a brilliant away win has been overshadowed by the correct decision not to send one of our players off :shrug:

Last edited:
Luiz is being treated like Mings it seems. Is Luiz the only one , has Luiz been the only one who has made occasional bad or mistimed challenges? . The way it‘s portrayed is that there is a huge never ending list of misdemeanours.
Pretty sure there was a moment in the BHA match where I winced because I thought Marv had left one on one of their players. And I wasn’t the only one either. The lad behind me said red card straight away.

Similarly there was time where when Mings was blamed for every defensive lapse whether he was actually at fault or not . It becomes a focus and easy to concentrate on to suit at the expense of others doing similar . And it’s not a reason to sell Luiz nor is it because he is having a relationship with a female player from the club,

I too find bizarre that a brilliant away win has been overshadowed by the correct decision not to send one of our players off :shrug:

In fairness, Mings has been pretty crap for about a year until the last two games when a blind man on a galloping horse can see he's back to doing the stuff he did when he first signed. He's been really good and back to his old self
Dougie is a good player, he's been out injured he will be back in the side every week under Steven, we aren't good enough to leave Brazillian international on the bench. He makes no more or no less silly tackle than McGinn or Marv or anyone else.

In fairness, Mings has been pretty crap for about a year until the last two games when a blind man on a galloping horse can see he's back to doing the stuff he did when he first signed. He's been really good and back to his old self
Dougie is a good player, he's been out injured he will be back in the side every week under Steven, we aren't good enough to leave Brazillian international on the bench. He makes no more or no less silly tackle than McGinn or Marv or anyone else.

Yup

and yup, potentially very good, but now he has to push on and if anyone can bring the best out of our midfielders, it will be Gerrard. The lunge on Sunday was reckless, not necessary and thank goodness he didn't connect. I am sure he will be told to be combative, but not reckless, we need all players on the pitch.

It's a bizarre argument really. A red card gets overturned correctly by common consent of almost everyone including 2 refs and we go on and win the game .

Not sure why it can't be left at that.

Because it is the match thread and we are discussing incidents?

Looked reckless, lucky he didn't connect, was thankful it was turned from red to yellow, but having not long since been on, that was the last thing he needed to risk, being sent off.

Surely