Crystal Palace-Manchester City Premier League Post Match Thread | Vital Football

Crystal Palace-Manchester City Premier League Post Match Thread

Colin Is The King

Alert Team
Crystal Palace 0 Manchester City 0
City Goals -
City Assists -

FT Stats
Possession
Palace 26% City 74%
Corners
Palace 2 City 6
Offsides
Palace 2 City 3
Fouls
Palace 6 City 11
Cards
Palace 3 Y City 1 Y (Grealish)
On Target
Palace 1 City 4
Woodwork
Palace 0 City 1
Off Target
Palace 6 City 14 (PL site has 7 Palace shots, City 18 - City OS Palace 5 City 8)

Attendance: 25,309

Compiled from Premier League and City Official Site match day threads

https://www.premierleague.com/match/66626

https://matchday.mancity.com/fixtures/first-team/2021/crystal-palace-v-manchester-city

22:00
'Constant pressure'
Crystal Palace 0-0 Man City

Glenn Murray
Former Crystal Palace striker on BBC Radio 5 Live

It was constant pressure from Manchester City but you have to give credit to Crystal Palace, they were resolute and at the end they could've nicked it.

Guaita was superb for Palace. Pep Guardiola may have thought his players had enough to break them down.

There was nothing wrong with Manchester City's performance, they just couldn't find that final piece of the puzzle but you have to look at the other side as well and say Crystal Palace did really well.

22:05

Here is a list of every team to not concede a Premier League goal against Manchester City in a season since the appointment of Pep Guardiola:
  • 2021-22 - Crystal Palace
  • 2020-21 - Manchester United

22:12
'We gave everything'
FT: Crystal Palace 0-0 Man City

Crystal Palace midfielder Conor Gallagher tells Sky Sports: "We will take a point against them and it was really deserved. I can't feel my legs, every one of the boys worked so hard, we gave everything and I'm proud of the team. I'm struggling to talk and my legs have gone.

"You could see our game plan, to be organised and try to catch them on the counter attack. It was a very good performance from us.

"Before the game we had the belief we would win. We have played well and got good results, but we're happy with the point.

"They are one of the best teams in the world and to do that against them twice is amazing and shows what we can do as a team."

22:14
'We fought for the luck'

Crystal Palace boss Patrick Vieira to BBC Sport: "It was a difficult game. I was really pleased with the players. We worked hard, we worked well. We defended well and created a couple of chances. I’m happy with the team spirit and organisation today.

"When you play against City you have to concede chances. It’s all about having your luck on the day but also putting in a shift as a team. We did that today. We fought for the luck and we got a point. We’re happy with the performance.

"[I was happy with] the way we managed the game. We defended well as a team. At times during the season we’ve struggled during difficult periods. But today we stuck together.

"We had some chances. It was that kind of feeling you can score one and win the game 1-0. I’m happy with a draw.

"Part of the game we have to learn and be more consistent if we want to be a better team. You need to roll your sleeves up and defend well and today we did that.

"It’s all about building confidence. Playing against City and not conceding is always positive. There’s a lot of positives to take to the FA Cup game."

22:21
'I am pleased with the performance'

Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola to BBC Sport: "We play a really good game. In 90 minutes we concede mistakes a little bit, but the way we played was really good.

"Luck doesn't exist in football. We have to score goals and we didn't do it. We played to score goals and concede few. We struggled a little bit.

"The guys who were playing were playing good, that's why I didn't make changes.

"We didn't score, that was the mistake.

"The team that was there today was there before and will be there in the next game. I am very pleased with the performance and the way we played."

22:30
'Our performance was really good'

Crystal Palace manager Patrick Vieira, speaking to Sky Sports, said: "It was tense from the first minute but I think the players managed the difficult situations very well.

"It was a team effort and our performance was really good. When you play against the quality of players they have, you need a bit of luck at times and at times we were lucky but you also need to perform as well.

"We want to make the end of the season exciting. We're still in the FA Cup and it will be a massive game against Everton and if we win that it will be really exciting."

On how good Manchester City and Liverpool are, he added: "I would put Chelsea in that bracket as well and these three teams are in the best four or five in Europe.

"You look at how they play, they make the game look easy, they have the quality, the technical ability to make the right decisions. It will be a really exciting end to the season for the title."

22:36
'No regrets about the team'

Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola, speaking to Sky Sports, said: "I think they [Palace] played good.

"There are still many games to play, we have to win a lot of games but the way we played, there's no regrets about the team. We would have preferred to win of course but the game was well played.

"We played to win the game, we created more, the way we played was amazing in a difficult stadium with the grass not perfect."

We had chances - we didn’t convert them.

Interestingly the BBC narrative has been - City drop points, Liverpool have a game in hand, if they beat Arsenal midweek they will be a point behind and have a superior goal difference and of course still have to play City at the Etihad.

In a parallel non “we love LiverpoolTMfailed” universe it might read - City drop points, Liverpool do have a game in hand and could be a point behind with slightly better goal difference and of course still have to play City at the Etihad. If City win that game they could extend their lead to 4 points.

Last edited:
Sky Player Ratings
Man City: Ederson (6), Walker (5), Stones (6), Laporte (6), Joao Cancelo (7), De Bruyne (7), Rodri (6), Bernardo Silva (6), Mahrez (7), Foden (5), Grealish (6).

Manchester Evening News
Player Ratings
Man City: Ederson (6), Walker (6), Stones (7), Laporte (6), Joao Cancelo (4), De Bruyne (7), Rodri (4), Bernardo Silva (4), Mahrez (5), Foden (5), Grealish (5).

The View from KippaxBlue:-

Crystal Palace 0-0

Two goalless draws on the trot! Unbelievable! When are we going to score a goal! There were some bad misses by City players. I knew it was not going to be easy against such a well organized side managed by a certain Patrick Viera but although City dominated the game on the break Palace were dangerous losing the ball in midfield was going to be a chance of a break for the home side.​

We had the first shot in the7th minute when Mahrez shot wide and a minute or so later Laporte lost the ball and luckily for City the Palace break came to nothing. On 14 minutes a good effort by De Bruyne was partially saved by the keeper and Silva following up missed a golden chance to put City in the lead. 4 minutes later Stones had a shot deflected and then on 27 minutes following a corner Cancelo hit the post - City's 18th post hitting this season! When the ball came out there was Laporte shooting over the bar. City continued to put on the pressure but efforts by Mahrez ,Foden and Rodri were blocked by the 100 man defence ( well it seemed like it). City did have a let-off when Zaha missed an effort after Laporte had lost the ball. Mahrez went close with a good shot just before half time.​

In the second half Grealish got a yellow for a bad foul just before Kevin hit the post and Mahrez had a shot saved.​

On 70 minutes a good cross by Grealish was missed by Silva and later Ederson actually had to make a save - from Zaha! On 90 minutes De Bruyne took a free kick for a foul on Walker and Laporte failed to make the most of a header.​

There seemed to be a lack of creativity and determination by City and even with a few minutes to go they were still being 'patient' in their play. Pep made no substitutions and there were no outstanding City players on the day. The Palace keeper had a good game and made some excellent saves but some of the those misses by City players might effect the league table if the sky blues continue with this lack of scoring! The lack of a centre forward was very noticeable today​