Crystal Palace-Manchester City Premier League Post Match Thread | Vital Football

Crystal Palace-Manchester City Premier League Post Match Thread

Colin Is The King

Alert Team
Crystal Palace 0 Manchester City 2
FT Stats
Possession
Palace 30.3% City 69.7%
Corners
Palace 2 City 6
Offsides
Palace 3 City 1
Fouls
Palace 9 City 10
Cards
Palace 2 Y City 0
On Target
Palace 4 City 3
Woodwork
Palace 0 City 1
Off Target
Palace 5 City 17 (PL site has 9 Palace shots, City 20 - City OS Palace 4 shots City 10 off target)

Attendance Behind closed doors

Compiled from Premier League and City Official Site match day threads

Links

https://www.premierleague.com/match/59229

https://matchday.mancity.com/fixtures/first-team/2020/crystal-palace-v-manchester-city

Manchester City stat attack
Manchester City have scored a league-high 34 goals away from home this season.

City have won 11 Premier League away matches in a row, scoring 28 goals and conceding just four.

In all competitions, they have won 19 successive away fixtures (this excludes cup ties at Wembley, since it is a neutral venue).

14:23

FT: Crystal Palace 0-2 Man City

In years to come we'll look back on this City side and realise how lucky we were to witness this phenomenal team.

They have been a joy to watch this season.

If Liverpool beat Manchester United at Old Trafford on Sunday, City will celebrate a third league title in four seasons.

Match stats 🔢
🔹 This was our 11th away Premier League victory in a row, equalling the all-time English top-flight record for consecutive away wins.

🔹 Ferran Torres' goal was our 700th scored in all competitions under Pep Guardiola, 157 more than any other Premier League side since the Spaniard took over in the summer of 2016.

🔹 We had to wait until the 57th minute to register a shot on target (Sergio Aguero’s opener), our longest wait in the Premier League since November 2nd 2019 v Southampton (70th minute).

🔹 Sergio Aguero is the 12th player to have scored at as many as 30 different stadiums in the Premier League, with the Manchester City striker now netting at eight different London stadiums in the competition (only Wayne Rooney and Nicolas Anelka with more – 9 each).

14:33

'Ruthless and relentless'

Paul Dickov
Former Manchester City striker on BBC Radio 5 Live

Eight changes and the best thing for Pep Guardiola was that he was able to keep the likes of Kevin de Bruyne, Bernardo Silva and Riyad Mahrez fresh for PSG on Tuesday.

The 83 seconds when they got in front summed up Man City. They took the lead and then from the kick-off won the ball straight back and scored again.

They're ruthless and relentless. If they had won by four or five in the end, no one would have complained.

A perfect afternoon for Man City.

MuEN
Player ratings
Ederson 6, Cancelo 6, Laporte 6, Ake 6, Mendy 6, Fernandinho ©*8, Rodrigo 6, Sterling 6, Torres 7, Aguero 7, Jesus 7.

SUBS: Steffen, Walker, Dias, Gundogan, Zinchenko* 6, De Bruyne, Bernardo, Mahrez, Foden.

14:38

'Finally I got the goal'

Manchester City striker Sergio Aguero: "Finally I could play, I’m so happy. It was a long time that I hadn’t played 90 minutes. The goal was good because maybe we can win the Premier League.

"We wait for tomorrow. Every game is difficult, but we wait for tomorrow. Of course if Liverpool win it’s better."

On his goal: "Always [Benjamin] Mendy tries to pass to me. All I needed in the box was one touch or two touches. Finally I got the goal. I’m so happy about that."

On Tuesday's game against Paris St-Germain: "Always I’m ready. I’m feeling good, my knee is so good. I just wait for the opportunity to play, like today. If I don’t play it doesn’t matter. I want to be with the team-mates. Of course every player wants to play, but we’ll see."

On receiving a statue: "When the club told me about that I told them I don’t want anything. I prefer to wait until the end. If the club want to do something, then thank you."

14:42

'You have to be switched on all the time'

Crystal Palace defender Tyrick Mitchell: "There were positives. There was some solid defending in the first half.

"You have to be switched on all the time against City. They don't give you a second's break. It's a great experience to play against them.

"Everyone knows the qualities of our squad, whoever the manager plays. Today we just came a bit short."

14:45

'It's my job to score'

Manchester City's Sergio Aguero, speaking to MOTD: "I am so happy for the goal and I hope to win the title tomorrow. I hope to win the title tomorrow because then we have more calm for the rest of the games.

"It's my job to score but the most important thing is the three points. Always the first half is difficult. The second half for us was better because we know how they defend.

"That goal [which won the title in stoppage time] is the best moment in my life. I will try to score a goal that's more important, but it's not easy.

"I am ready [to face PSG]. we will see on Tuesday. Of course every game I want to play."

14:54

'What a goal, what a man'

Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola, speaking to BT Sport: "I'm absolutely delighted with that after the Champions League. We could not play with much rhythm. We struggled a little bit but in the second half we deserved it.

"We can start to predict our future [in Premier League]. I will check on the Liverpool game. It's in our hands and now we will give everything to beat PSG."

On Sergio Aguero: "What a goal, what an action, what a man. I am in love as a person."

14:56

'I can't fault the players'

Crystal Palace manager Roy Hodgson, speaking to MOTD: "I'm a bit sad. I thought at half-time we gave ourselves a chance. I think if we could have just kept that going, who knows? Maybe we could have got a lucky bounce and scored a goal. We weren't without opportunities ourselves, but when the first goal is immediately followed by the second, you're staring down the barrel of a gun.

"I can't ask any more of the team and the players. All I can do is congratulate Man City. They made a lot of changes, but they've got such a good squad – they showed just how good their squad is.

"Tactically I don’t think I can fault the players too much, far from it. You get undone with teams like Manchester City. With their technical ability and athleticism, they're always making runs in behind. Of course it's very difficult to keep the ball long enough to ask enough questions.

"We have a very good group of players. You can never really accuse them of lacking heart for the fight or not giving their best. Some days they don't play their best, but that's football. We couldn't have played much better for 60 minutes, but after the two goals we had to accept we're not good enough to score three goals against them.

"We're fighting still. We’d like some more points. We showed today we're not going to be out of any race we have to take part in between now and the end of the season. We just have to lick our wounds."

On his future: "We’ve now got five games – one’s away to Liverpool but the others are against teams who aren’t really in the top half. The test will come if there is uncertainty. And if that uncertainty is having an effect on players we will see it in the next five games.”

On Wilfried Zaha: "We were a bit concerned about Wilf today, he was complaining about groin problems. He kept saying he’s OK, but we were a bit concerned about that."

15:00

'We were much better in the second half'

Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola, speaking to MOTD: "I'm so incredibly satisfied. After the Champions League it's always difficult. We made many changes. The players were sad because they wanted to play, but they did what they had to do. The first half we struggled, but that’s normal – you need patience and time.

"For the quality of players we had on the pitch, we should have attacked the way we did in the second half. We are one step closer – one more game and we will be champions.

"Always [Crystal Palace] defend really well. The spaces between the lines is so close, but in the second half we switched places more often, we attacked the spaces. Between the lines it was difficult to play. We were much better in the second half."

On Sergio Aguero: "How many times has he done it? What a goal, what a player and what a man. I'm completely in love with him. The people cannot believe it but we've missed him. We haven't been able to use him many times, but maybe we got him back at the right time. He knows he has a special quality."

On Man Utd v Liverpool on Sunday: "We're going to think about it. Tomorrow I will take a look. It's in our hands – four games, one victory and we will be champions. I'm really impressed by the way we've done this Premier League. We are close."

Sky
Player Ratings

Man City: Ederson (6), Cancelo (7), Ake (7), Laporte (7), Mendy (7), Fernandinho (7), Rodri (7), Torres (7), Sterling (7), Jesus (7), Aguero (7).

Subs used: Zinchenko (6).

Man of the match: Sergio Aguero.

Manchester City stat attack
Manchester City have scored a league-high 34 goals away from home this season.

City have won 11 Premier League away matches in a row, scoring 28 goals and conceding just four.

In all competitions, they have won 19 successive away fixtures (this excludes cup ties at Wembley, since it is a neutral venue).
I thought Wembley might be excluded because it’s almost like a home ground 🤣

So great when you succeed in the early kick off and can relax for the rest of the weekend.

Meanwhile the rags and dippers have to stew for another 24 hours before they have to go through the he exquisite agony of playing knowing that they could hand the title to City AND utterly crush the rag’s teeny tiny, guttering-candle-flickering-in-the-distance-light-years-away sliver of a chance........bad for both sides you have to think. Dippers could deny the rags AND yet hand ’their’ crown to City. Such a shame. They won’t be looking forward to tomorrow one bit.

Unlike us :thumbup: