Crystal Palace FC vs. Tottenham Hotspur | Page 8 | Vital Football

Crystal Palace FC vs. Tottenham Hotspur

I agree, but that point is when we have had a more settled side with a reasonable level of injuries. At the moment we have 6 players on the injury table, you obviously don't believe injuries impact performance which I find strange as that view is contrary to the rest of the football world.

It’s a level playing field. Everything affects everyone.

I agree, but that point is when we have had a more settled side with a reasonable level of injuries. At the moment we have 6 players on the injury table, you obviously don't believe injuries impact performance which I find strange as that view is contrary to the rest of the football world.

What is the difference between making an excuse and finding a reason ?

The "reason" is the factual cause, the "excuse" is the explanation of the effects.

"Making excuses" would infer that there aren't any factual causes for the effects we have seen, however, our injury issues in addition to player inability for other reasons, are pretty established. Also, the stadium delays have certainly affected the team and is also a well established set of factual circumstances.

Not sure we need to be excusing the performances so far, instead we should be cheering the results in the face of adversity.

The "reason" is the factual cause, the "excuse" is the explanation of the effects.

"Making excuses" would infer that there aren't any factual causes for the effects we have seen, however, our injury issues in addition to player inability for other reasons, are pretty established. Also, the stadium delays have certainly affected the team and is also a well established set of factual circumstances.

Not sure we need to be excusing the performances so far, instead we should be cheering the results in the face of adversity.

Exactly which is why I asked the question. Some may see our perceived weaknesses as excuses for under performance and we should just perform anyway despite those issues. Some may accept that the weakness is a reason and justifiable regardless of whose fault it is.

What I can't excuse is players making the same errors over and over again and managers being too rigid or stubborn to change tactics or formations.

I can't excuse a chairman who takes 13 attempts to find the right manager or fails to support a manager who needs it like when Harry got Nelson and Saha. Unless of course I don't know the reasons !!

I don’t believe defenses pack their box more against us than for example citeh, pool & chavs, unlike them our attackers need too many opportunities to score one goal. So many of our promising situations often go unpunished and have little to do with the players in DM positions, it’s more a case of the indifferent finishing & interplay of those ahead of them.

Ive always belived its really a matter of just one world class attacking midfield player city have three. But we could compete with just one. For example if we had Silva(either of them)or Hazzard to commit teams in the final third with the ball at their feet we would go close. The kind of player who unlike Lamela or Son 9 times out of 10 pick the right pass beat there man or engage the keeper.

Ive always belived its really a matter of just one world class attacking midfield player city have three. But we could compete with just one. For example if we had Silva(either of them)or Hazzard to commit teams in the final third with the ball at their feet we would go close. The kind of player who unlike Lamela or Son 9 times out of 10 pick the right pass beat there man or engage the keeper.

Yes, I agree, with the caveat that it isn't just having the player in the squad, it's pushing the formation with TWO attacking CM's, ala Silva-Fernadinho-Silva, to get the best advantage of that player on the field.

I think the player you are wishing for may be Dele Alli. Could be Eriksen, might even eventually be Lucas, but won't be anyone unless they are put into a similar attacking formation. Also, have a look at Citeh's match lineup so far this season. The consistency of those 3 players is crazy. If we had Eriksen-Winks-Dele as our CMs as consistently, I think we'd be out of our minds with happiness at how things were going.

The other lacking bit in breaking some of these teams down, is movement. Waaaaaay too much static. I'm not sure how anyone could pick out a '3rd man running' because there ain't one! Whenever we have 2 of Dier-Moose-Victor-Winks-Sissoko on at the same time, it all just dies. When we have Eriksen-Dele-Lucas-Kane-Son on at the same, its smooth and glossy and dominant (finsihing issues aside). Because they move together.

Overly simplisitc, but sometimes that's what it is.

But yea, we need another at least potentially world class attacker in that midfield.

I totally agree, we just can't afford to buy one. I had hoped Edwards would develop into such a player, any idea how he's doing?

That one world class player would certainly improve on what we have but the issue raised here with others around (that player) would still be apparent. Improvements are also needed from the current incumbents, as well as a general need to reduce the sloppiness and mistakes that our players to frequently indulge in. Hopefully, we would then see an expected level of efficiency.

Yes another top midfielder preferably with the physique of Moussa but the vision of Silva. Any suggestions?Of equal importance is a mobile fox in the box like Aubameyang,Lineker & the inimitable Greaves. Harry tends to slow the play down & his feet just aren't quick enough to nip in & poach those 'in the box' chances .I still love him though & there is room for both .