Croatia V England | Vital Football

Croatia V England

B

Bienvenu17

The game before the big one.

Alli is fit, Kane is top scorer of the competition, Trippier is, you know, he’s like Trippier-izing opponents. Ex-spur Walker will clash with ex-spur Modric.

Football is home all over the world, but the world cup may be going to the place where it all began.

Man for man we're the better side, but again, we need to step it up and be more incisive and positive and take our chances.

Croatia are nothing to fear.

First real test in the knockout stages.

I hope I'm wrong but their midfield is class. If they are on it I can't see us beating them over the full 90.

Should be a close game.

I agree RD, their MF has some serious talent in it. It’ll be interesting to see what tactics Southgate employs to try and subdue them. If they are allowed to dictate they’ll ask more searching questions of England’s back 3 than at any time in the tournament. A plus for England is they are not supplying a better striker than Mandzukic.

Someone has to mark Moders man to man...he is their class player who makes things happen and opens areas up as we all well know. stifle him and we will have a much better chance of a win.

Be tempted to start Dier and task him with sitting on Modders. I'd also be tempted to put Dele in Sterling's position and put Rose in for young.

Southgate will probably just play the exact same team as last match though.

I'm excited we're in the semis but we've not played a single team ranked higher than us in world rankings, or who bookies rated as better than us pre tournament yet except Belgium whose reserves beat ours. Croatia are a decent side but still one we're considered better than. Get through that then it all boils down to one 90 min match against one of two sides who are better than us on paper - that's when this team can show whether they've had an easy draw or if they can step up. With Kane as captain anything is possible, I'm sure his self belief is contagious!

I personally think that the adrenaline will get us through. Our younger crop of players will manage 90 mins better than theirs. I noted most of the Croatian players ran out of gas in the later stages of their 1/4 final. Score first and let them run around a lot..... football's coming home!

I'd also ask Sterling to engage his brain faster than his feet. Kane was making space for himself when Sterling was busy trying to be clever in one-on-one.

This time tomorrow I'll be landing in Moscow. Gonna be a fun few days.
I hope the boys make your trip over there, a word of warning though. Be very careful over there, now that Russia is out you may find locals and police a little hostile.