Criteria for success 2021/2022 | Vital Football

Criteria for success 2021/2022

Arthur_Itis

Vital Squad Member
Very difficult to gauge intent until we start to see some signings and therefore it could be interesting to see how our expectations change over time, but based on what little we know today what would be your criteria for a successful season next season.

For me, it's about progressing steadily and putting the building blocks in place for sustained growth.
Given where we are starting from I'd consider a successful 2021/22 as a 14th place finish, no prolonged flirtation with relegation, some quality players tied down for a couple of years to build around and a reasonable amount of game time for some of our youth products.

We've got a club to support so we should all be happy and content already.
I would be a little disappointed if we were to struggle near the bottom, and would be relatively pleased with a top half finish.
However, there is no reason why we couldn't push for promotion as none of last years top seven were anything special, and certainley nowhere near as good as we were when we won it.

Not flirting with relegation, stability, top half, promotion push, I agree with all of those.

I just want to get back to watching live games again, and have a few good weeks of applauding everything (well, most things) that the new Manager, Chairman and Board do before the cries of "bloody rubbish Wiggin" are heard around the stadium.

EDIT ..... not forgetting the casual Islamophobia of course !

Last edited:
It's about seeing progress.

Performance wise seeing us recruit better players, becoming better organised defensively, finding more consistency, a better home record, better in the winnable games, seeing the style of play improve, etc. You probably won't get immediately to the end product and there will be ups and downs as we figure it out to but if you can see us generally moving forward in those type of areas that is what we need to see. Basically this season overall we saw more bad than good - next year we want to see more good than bad.

If we see that type of progress you will very likely end up in contention for the play offs. It doesn't mean you'll get in the top 6, but at this level when you see the low quality, how little money is spent and how easily teams can fly up the league there is no reason we couldn't do that if we have our house in order.

If we show the progress the league table will take care of itself.

Not flirting with relegation, stability, top half, promotion push, I agree with all of those.

I just want to get back to watching live games again, and have a few good weeks of applauding everything (well, most things) that the new Manager, Chairman and Board do before the cries of "bloody rubbish Wiggin" are heard around the stadium.

EDIT ..... not forgetting the casual Islamophobia of course !
Just hope that last bit doesn't show its ugly head.

Happy that everything I've read about the owners and the people involved, suggests they understand football and have experience at various levels, so sure they'll know what's required. As for next season, not sure about needing snookers to make a realistic challenge, we're that far behind, we need to find the table.

I expect the league to be a better standard this season, the pitches will be better and the season won't be so condensed, so think it'll be a season of stability, aiming to finish top 10 and considering where the administration has left us, that'll do for me

Don't think the owners and directors will be happy with just competing again next season, they want to see progress and try to get promoted. They would have seen firsthand that there really is nothing separating the teams in the league and a little bit of consistency can see us shooting up the table.

Personally, I don't see a point in competing in the league if you don't try to win it, winning it is a completely different thing entirely but having that aim is surely a no-brainer, every team in the league should at least target it.

And I don't think the players would just settle for mid-table either, some of them proved they are much better than that.

Where we finish is unknown, but having that target is important, players and managers need a little bit of pressure to perform at their best, for the club, and their own careers.

Don't think the owners and directors will be happy with just competing again next season, they want to see progress and try to get promoted. They would have seen firsthand that there really is nothing separating the teams in the league and a little bit of consistency can see us shooting up the table.

Personally, I don't see a point in competing in the league if you don't try to win it, winning it is a completely different thing entirely but having that aim is surely a no-brainer, every team in the league should at least target it.

And I don't think the players would just settle for mid-table either, some of them proved they are much better than that.

Where we finish is unknown, but having that target is important, players and managers need a little bit of pressure to perform at their best, for the club, and their own careers.

I wasn't asking about the clubs owners / directors target Franco. although I do like to reiterate whenever possible their documented desire to be in the championship in 3 to 5 years. Not seen anything about next season.

I was asking what each of us as fans consider a criteria for a successful season.
C_Latic considers nothing less than automatic promotion, a demanding and ambitious criteria, but no less valid an opinion than my own far less ambitious view.
What would you personally consider the criteria for a successful season Franco, given where we are today ?

I wasn't asking about the clubs owners / directors target Franco. although I do like to reiterate whenever possible their documented desire to be in the championship in 3 to 5 years. Not seen anything about next season.

I was asking what each of us as fans consider a criteria for a successful season.
C_Latic considers nothing less than automatic promotion, a demanding and ambitious criteria, but no less valid an opinion than my own far less ambitious view.
What would you personally consider the criteria for a successful season Franco, given where we are today ?

If I was to give my personal verdict, then it would be extremely difficult to judge right now in terms of expectations due to potential signings, and potential squad, in order to gather a prediction.

But if you are telling me what I would be happy with next season, then I would like to see us at least be in around the top half and playoffs. For me, an improvement in the current season is always a plus in my eyes.

As for targetting promotion minimum, although it should at least be a target, I think not achieving it in the first season is harsh considering how fine details, sometimes that are out the players control can make or break. Havining consistency around the top end of the table is good enough for me

Depends who we sign. And how much we pay in wages. Be a hard league next season. the loan market is the key for most clubs in this division That’s my worry do we have the contacts. To find the right players. And we don’t want any loans. That have to play so many games.

Yes John, which is why my original post stated

"Very difficult to gauge intent until we start to see some signings and therefore it could be interesting to see how our expectations change over time, but based on what little we know today what would be your criteria for a successful season next season. "

I may well change my criteria once I see the calibre of signing, but go on John, based on what we know now (i.e. nothing) what would be your criteria, we can look back in a couple of months and laugh at our naivety, just a bit of fun in these dull close-season times. :giggle:

I think we will get a big clue as to what to expect this season if Lee Evans signs the contract we have given him. I can’t imagine he will stick around if we aren’t paying half decent wages for the division and also if there is no ambition with regard to the types of players we want to bring in.

Yes John, which is why my original post stated

"Very difficult to gauge intent until we start to see some signings and therefore it could be interesting to see how our expectations change over time, but based on what little we know today what would be your criteria for a successful season next season. "

I may well change my criteria once I see the calibre of signing, but go on John, based on what we know now (i.e. nothing) what would be your criteria, we can look back in a couple of months and laugh at our naivety, just a bit of fun in these dull close-season times. :giggle:

We have made an offer to a player that is out contract at his previous club and available free, if we manage to sign this player it will show that the new owners mean business.

Personally at this moment in time, I'd be happy with with the success of significant progress on last season - if a new owner can't improve on a team in administration that was able to survive then there's something wrong.
I'd see significant improvement as anything from mid table safety (never looking relegation threatened but never in contention for the play offs) or better.

Like others have said though, the criteria I'd judge success on will shift depending on who is recruited over the summer. If there's a big (or biggish) outlay on players then a comfortable mid table season, for me, would no longer be considered a success