Criteria for success 2021/2022 | Page 2 | Vital Football

Criteria for success 2021/2022

To be told I am a liar if it doesn't happen ?

In this case, unlike before, the bid has not yet been accepted.

If he is out of contract and on a free, who have we made a bid too, that has not yet been accepted?????

Surely we would only need to make an 'offer' to the player, and not a bid to a club.

If he is out of contract and on a free, who have we made a bid too, that has not yet been accepted?????

Surely we would only need to make an 'offer' to the player, and not a bid to a club.

Sorry, let me clarify that, I used the word "bid" because that is the word I used over the club purchase offer, in this case they mean the same, the offer/bid to the player has not yet been accepted, well it hadn't on Friday.

Sorry, let me clarify that, I used the word "bid" because that is the word I used over the club purchase offer, in this case they mean the same, the offer/bid to the player has not yet been accepted, well it hadn't on Friday.
Is this player from the Championship or League One?

We have made an offer to a player that is out contract at his previous club and available free, if we manage to sign this player it will show that the new owners mean business.

That statement could be applied to any potential new signing and is meaningless unless you can offer further information.

How did we manage to let Ivan Toney slip through our fingers???

To be fair Charlz, because he did very little when he was with us. He certainly didn't look the player he is now.

At the time, Grigg was better. Subsequently, Moore was better still.

Sometimes, players need to be released if they aren't performing, or it looks like we have better options ... it's just life.

I think with Cook, he is very opinionated and has his favourites for sure. Looking at how Toney has that cockiness about him today after the game, can see Cook and Toney clashing

Was always a footballer in him. Time wasn’t right. Cook didn’t fancy him. But that’s football. Plenty more have moved and got better
I think most were pleased to see the back of him from here John. From recall, I think he missed a couple of sitters. You're right though, ... maybe there was a player in him, but he just didn't show it enough.

Let's face it, some thought Moore was a lump when he was with us.

I wanted Toney to sign as i rated him very highly, but after seeing him in a Latics shirt for 6 months he seemed like another Gavin Massey - superb player on his day but his day barely comes around - so rare that you question if he's worth having around at all.

I don't think anyone was sad to see him go when he did as he was missing sitters and stopped winning headers - he looked devoid of confidence and like his heart wasn't in it.

When he came back to play against us for Scunthorpe he looked like the player i thought we were getting but rarely saw. You could why Peterborough wanted him - if we hadn't just sent him back i'd have said we should've gone for him based on his performances for Scunthorpe. He never looked back from there, but i'm not sure what the issue was with us - if Cook's coaching wasn't right for him, the coaching at another club turned him around, if he upped his game or something else - but i don't think he'd have done what he went on to do if he stayed.

There are some players we missed the boat on badly, but i don't really look at Toney like that - as for whatever reason it just didn't work. We've had plenty go the other way like Dan Burn - a laughing stock at Fulham, Palacios did nothing at Birmingham, Nick Powell offered nothing at Hull, Jason Roberts flopped in the prem for WBS and Pompey, etc - so it's just one of those things.

It may surprise some of you, but young footballers do actually tend to get better with age. I know right, incredible!

It may surprise some of you, but young footballers do actually tend to get better with age. I know right, incredible!
To (almost) quote Racey, some girls do, some girls don't.

Taking your point though ..... so do (some) managers, and so do (some) older players.

Toney must have done a lot of growing up in the 2 months between us sending him back to Newcastle and when he played against us and ran us ragged for Scunthorpe. Unrecognisable from the performances he was turning in for us - he went from couldn't win anything in the air to beating Burn and Dunkley to everything.