Crimewatch | Vital Football

Crimewatch

Barney2004

Vital 1st Team Regular
Did anyone watch it last night (i like to watch it to just make sure im not on there) :17:

Anyway... last night a guy was on there who made 38 million for selling a device to the iraqi government that could detect bombs at checkpoints etc.... after selling them for 40,000 each and making 38 million, bombs were still going off and killing people at the checkpoints.... after a bit of investigation it was proved that these detectors wasnt detectors and that he perchased these items from america for 16 dollars each and all they were were golf ball locators!! How on earth did he get away with if for so long.... in the end he got 10 years in prison.

Followed this case for a while Lee and it really does beggar belief but he really was good.Met a few conmen in my time and the best ones are always well spoken well mannered clever charming great company funny and very plausible so it can be almost impossible to smell a rat.However this con has got to be one of the most daring but disgusting I have ever come across.The checks that were carried out on these novelty golf ball finders (and novelty remember)were laughable why weren't us and the Yanks consulted first in fact why did we or the Yanks not know about this in the first place after all these things were as much to protect the troops as they were the Iraqi people.This bloke was so clever that they were scared to do him for man slaughter in fear he would have got off just hope they recover everything but I doubt it.

Yes and there were a lot of backhanders going on with the Iraqi authorities so he could get the orders for them.

its unreal mate... like you said, a very clever man.

Question... when he comes out of prison in 10 years time (maybe 5) will he still have his millions from the scam. If so then 5 years in prison is probably worth it!

Well that's what I'm saying they're trying to seize his assets through the proceeds of crime act and they will get a lot back through his properties cars possessions but there is no way they will get all the cash back.

Sir Den exactly there is no way he could have pulled this off without inside help probably from the government hence the reason they are insisting they do work and still using them.

Might well be Lee this case is so stupid if it was a fictional film and you watched it you would be saying what a load bollocks that could never happen.Just highlights how corrupt these third world countries are and to think our troops have to trust these people with their lives.

Yes I seen Crimewatch last night: Lots of scary yet interesting cases on their. That guy who hurt the 83 year old men in his own home wants stringing up. He is certainly a tough un though the 83 year old.

They had Claudia Lawrence Dad on too. I live in York so that has held more of us who live here. We haven't forgotten it. I feel so much for her family.

I have 1 son who is bi-polar who went walk about on us last year for 6 weeks. It was a scary time. We knew he was safe, kinda of, yet not where he was. Our Dr etc. was really supportive during that time. telling us what he could and was allowed too. I.E. He wasn't in hospital and he was still getting his meds, attending the day program he was in.

After 6 weeks I got the proverbial text: Mom can I come home. He was only coming home for a couple of weeks as he was getting his own place with a friend. A year later he is still at home and doesn't want to move out.

The not knowing for these families is the hardest as they have no closure