Crewe | Page 4 | Vital Football

Crewe

I thought the transposition of shit/happens and happens/shit was quite a nice little touch.

It acknowledged the mediocre nature of the performance, whilst at the same time, applying a little context.

As Dean Ford & Marmalade knowingly sang ...................... life goes on.

;)
I will rest my succinctness challenge based on the gubbins above 😉🤣

Really poor that today,very disappointing performance!Credit to Crewe,they thoroughly deserved the win and but for mom Jones it could've been even worse.Today highlighted the fact that Crewe were a team who are used to playing successfully together and we are,despite an excellent couple of wins a team thrown together in recent weeks and still getting used to each other.

He wasn't the only one but Massey was awful.Viv had a few good moments,but he wasn't involved in the game enough.I thought Keane did okay in parts but had no proper service.We obviously missed Garner today,not only for his physicality and nuisance value,but he is a leader on the pitch.

I know we are short of CBs but Naismith is absolutely wasted there and needs to be moved further forward.

Yes we are in a far from ideal situation with whats happened these past few months,so you have to be realistic and say survival is the most important thing this season (although I still think with a few additions we can target mid table).But we are much better than that today,so I'm hoping to see a big improvement and reaction next week.

Due to complaining about being short of players the EFL allowed Crewe to play players that were currently infected with the virus, to ensure the game went ahead. What an absolute shambles.

So despite Government guidelines the EFL now saying players can continue playing even with the virus. What about the welfare of our players any any vulnerable people they may live with?

Managers usually say after a poor defeat:
''We had a bad day at the office''.

The problem was, today we wasn't IN the office.

The defending, was like watching a bad team on Laithwaite Park,
Crewe was cutting through us, like a hot knife through butter.

We stood off Crewe and we gave them that much room,
we might as well have been off the pitch.

We know we have a patched-up team at present,
but the effort from some of the players was non-existent.

Due to complaining about being short of players the EFL allowed Crewe to play players that were currently infected with the virus, to ensure the game went ahead. What an absolute shambles.

So despite Government guidelines the EFL now saying players can continue playing even with the virus. What about the welfare of our players any any vulnerable people they may live with?
Thats an absolute disgrace! I was surprised when Beccles came on,he only tested positive 7 days ago.Surely he was tested before the game,but even so I thought it was the law to isolate for at least 10-14 days.
The EFL are utterly incompetent.If some of our players now test positive after this game,we should really get stuck into them on this!

Yes Crewe. Played well. But are the sort of team that will always. Give you a chance. Not one shot on target

Thats an absolute disgrace! I was surprised when Beccles came on,he only tested positive 7 days ago.Surely he was tested before the game,but even so I thought it was the law to isolate for at least 10-14 days.
The EFL are utterly incompetent.If some of our players now test positive after this game,we should really get stuck into them on this!
Tranmere chairman saying the same. saying Efl made them play. Make the rules up as the go on

The problem is, the EFL will not give us any justice.

Reality check today..we will struggle but hopefully still have a team to moan about. No need to get too depressed about the game..they were decent and we weren't but what do you expect ?

Anybody not putting the effort in should be binned off though.

We are up against it, as it is,
we cannot afford to carry so many passengers,
who treat a league match like having a kick-about in the local park.

In 40 years following this team I have never seen the ball passed to opposition players as much as it was today. Just not good enough and absolutely zero attacking threat as a result. It’s going to be a long season unless these players buck their ideas up or we get some more quality in if and when the new owners take over. Really, really disappointing performance. Latics teams have always been known for their fight and never give up attitude. I saw very little of those qualities today.

Well in your 40 years you must have missed the Justin Fashanu Torquay side that pasted us at Springfield Park as it was certainly every but as bad as that in the division below.

EFL have confirmed any club who postpones a fixture will be deducted points possibly as high as 15! That is why Crewe and Tranmere were forced to play today, Tranmere played a depleted line up for safety reasons. Crewe opted to play currently infected players to not weaken their line up.

Wonder how many points Crewe have been deducted for last weekend?

More shambles from the EFL, no club should be deducted points for covid cancellations. Safety is priority.

Said after Gillingham we will have many more humiliating days ahead of us and the same applies here. A team of freelancers up against a well drilled unit with a clear style of play and players used to winning football matches. I could moan about individual performances forever but it does no good. Draw a line under it and move on, we will have many more losses like this over the course of the season. Charlton next up could be a bloodbath if they score early.

The end game remains the same. 20th place or higher and it's a successful season. Get a CB in before the deadline and push Kal back up to attacking midfield. Our strength is that we have goals in us and we need to play on that. God help us though if Garner ever gets injured long term.

I’m not sure today’s result had any bearing on Crewe fielding players with Covid. That said it’s pretty disgraceful they were allowed to play given it seems they was not adherence to government guidelines. What sort of risk are those on either tram, officials etc now exposed to?

I’ve read the Tranmere statement. Despite losing a load of players with Covid they were told there was medical grounds to postpone their game and threatened them with a 15 point deduction. It’s the efl, so I’m not surprised about the lack of guidance, but if a contagious virus is ripping through a club in the midst of a global pandemic and the country is under severe restrictions then if that isn’t medical grounds then I don’t know what is. What sort of shitshow are these people running? I know it’s the efl, I know I shouldn’t be surprised but this quite frankly astounds me.

We will be be very lucky to stay in this league with the present squad,
we could have been 3 or 4 down before half-time against Doncaster.

I think after the Blackpool match, we will see how the table stands,
if we are well above the bottom 3, we will have done very well.

I think that type of result has been coming to be honest, the past 2 league games we rode our luck and weathered a storm to survive slow starts with the opposition unable to punish our mistakes. And while it was pleasing to get the results and we played well in patches they easily could've gone differently. I think today was a harsh reality check the same type of errors Pompey and Doncaster let us off with Crewe made us pay, in fact we probably still were lucky that it wasn't 5 or 6.

I amwondering if Evans and Massey in particular dont want to be here with their performances this season so far. It is understandable after relegation, large pay cut and all their team mates leaving but Pearce, Garner and Naismith are in the same boat and seem to not be as lacklustre even on their off days - as both are far better than they are showing. Also I know it won't be popular but I don't think the 2 young lads in centre mid are as good as people have been saying. They are still learning and may yet improve and there is the odd glimpse but I think they've got a long way to go yet.

Sheridan's post match interview was very honest. As a manager ultimately it's your job to motivate the players, get them fit, organised etc but did feel like the players collectively let him down today with a total lack of endeavour or intensity.

I don't understand why Crewe had 2 positive covid tests and got the Oxford game abandoned and this week had another 2 and we had 2 and the game went ahead with at least 2 of their previously positive players playing. I'm not using that as an excuse but what is going on with the inconsistency?

The league is very weak and if we turn up this makeshift team should still be pretty decent and able to pick up results more often than not. But so far this season we've gone missing as a team too many times - I'm sure all the admin stuff played a part in that but now we have secured our future and on the back of 2 good wins I'd have hoped the lads would be up for it but it looked like the opposite.

Hopefully, if the EFL allow a team to play matches, knowing players are
suffering from covid due to isolation rules being broken and opposition
team get infected.

The EFL should be fined heavily for negligence by the PFA, who have been strangely quiet on the welfare of their players on this matter.

Last edited: