Crewe Alexandra (h): What 3 Things Did We Learn? | Vital Football

Crewe Alexandra (h): What 3 Things Did We Learn?

1.that, no matter how badly we are playing, we have got into the habit of finding a way to win. Woe betide the rest of League Two when we finally hit our straps! A win is a win is a win.

2.that Jason Shackell is turning out to be the best bit of transfer business Danny has pulled off this pre-season.

At 35, he may have just come here to see out his illustrious career with a final paycheck, but not a bit of it.

He marshalls the line, is calmly authoritative, coolness personified, distributes really well (despite murmurings from Derby about his passing ability) and scores a few besides.

3) that Tom Pett comes on hot from the bench and is proving to be, arguably, our most accomplished finisher. He has great technique, always seems to be in the right place at the right time, latching onto loose balls. Best of all, he's a game-changer.

Has anyone got anything else to add? I will be publishing later today and have been trying to include more than one persons 3 things!

1. When substitutes are used in the correct manner, they can be very effective - Crewe. When used poorly they do nothing and can upset the balance of the team - Tranmere.

2. Akinde NEEDS a goal, he is doing most thing right, but is starting to lose his confidence. Moving him to the bench will make his confidence worse, so we need to try and give him a bit better service. Once he scores I am sure he will then go on a roll.

3. We are still not getting our set pieces right, and need to be a lot better in our distribution. Particularly from corners, remember the historic Burnley goal, that came from a very well worked corner. Time to look at it again.

1. When substitutes are used in the correct manner, they can be very effective - Crewe. When used poorly they do nothing and can upset the balance of the team - Tranmere.

2. Akinde NEEDS a goal, he is doing most thing right, but is starting to lose his confidence. Moving him to the bench will make his confidence worse, so we need to try and give him a bit better service. Once he scores I am sure he will then go on a roll.

3. We are still not getting our set pieces right, and need to be a lot better in our distribution. Particularly from corners, remember the historic Burnley goal, that came from a very well worked corner. Time to look at it again.

Couldn't agree more, on all three counts.

Regarding 3, Porter was more in tune with our method in the first half, when he headed beautifully back across goal to tee-up Harry ?.

Perhaps all the lining up in the 18 yard box and peeling off to all parts is a busted flush or maybe our deadball delivery is just plain naff? Sure it'll get sorted on our new training ground ?

Like others on here, I couldn't work out whether the two faded over-hit corners were a deliberate ploy that was poorly executed, or just completely rubbish corners. We do seem to waste a lot of our set-pieces, though.

Oh, and our throw-ins - even in attacking positions - often end up with the back-four.