Crewe Alexandra 0-1 Lincoln City - What 3 Things Did We Learn? | Vital Football

Crewe Alexandra 0-1 Lincoln City - What 3 Things Did We Learn?

Not a massive amount that we didn't already know but......

1. Home or Away doesn't really matter. Last season if the PPG average had been worked out based upon away results we'd have been relegated. It was our home form which kept us up. It was noticeable that we often set up a bit more defensively playing away last season than at Sincil Bank. Not so this season. It really has become irrelevant where we play. We will go for the three points by playing the quick attack and move system that has been so well developed. We'll lose a few playing this way, but wins will come. Last season we won 2 away games. This we have already won 3 out of the first 4 (plus others in Cups).

2. We have possibly our best ever scouting team. Two points here. One is the signing of Montsma who came to cries of who? from the Dutch second division and is now being lorded as a multi million pound worth central defender. Great work finding him. But it's not just that. I noticed some similarities between tonights game and the Ipswich one which showed just how much research and analysis of out opponents is going on. On Saturday we were happy to let Ipswich have the ball whilst they passed sideways before giving it to Nsiala to belt it forward and usually either to one of our players or out of play. Tonight we were happy to let Crew have possession before they gave it to Beckles who then humped it forward either to our players or out of play. Both teams patterns of play had been analysed and their weaknesses identified and allowed to take place. The whole of the management team and backroom staff will be assisting with this and all are earning their corn.

3. Joe Walsh is a proper defender. I don't think it's a coincidence that since Walsh made his first appearance at Fleetwood we have not conceded a goal. It is also not a coincidence that in those four games Lewis Montsma has been a more assured defender. This is nothing against the performances of Adam Jackson, who I thought up to the Bristol game had played very well for us, but since Joe came into the side we have looked so solid at the back. He's the kind of defender who just gets on with his job and his contribution might often go un-noticed, but has been key to our last four clean sheets

I don't think it's a coincidence that since Walsh made his first appearance at Fleetwood we have not conceded a goal. It is also not a coincidence that in those four games Lewis Montsma has been a more assured defender.
This.

I am going to disagree slightly, almost for the sake of it and just to put the case for Jackson... but I don't think the defence have had all that much to do in the last few games due to the work in front of them by the rest of the side.

I thought Jackson was excellent until Bristol Rovers. We might well be saying "Walsh will never get a game", had he not got sent off for a fairly innocuous foul in the Bristol match.

Neither have great pace but Hanlan has been the only player so far this season to exploit that.

Montsma's increasing confidence probably has at least as much to do with getting used to the level after a good run of matches,as to which player partners him.

From what we have seen so far Walsh and Jackson both good defenders.

Last edited:
I am going to disagree slightly, almost for the sake of it and just to put the case for Jackson... but I don't think the defence have had all that much to do in the last few games due to the work in front of them by the rest of the side.

I thought Jackson was excellent until Bristol Rovers. We might well be saying "Walsh will never get a game", had he not got sent of for a fairly innocuous foul in the Bristol match.

Neither have great pace but Hanlan has been the only player so far this season to exploit that.

Montsma's increasing confidence probably has at least as much to do with getting used to the level after a good run of matches,as to which player partners him.

From what we have seen so far Walsh and Jackson both good defenders.
re: the bold bit... considering we have played fleetwood away and ipswich at home this is great going. although last night we showed a bit of defending deep, for a fair amount of time, and there were some 'fine margin' moments where on another night opposition would have scored.
the best way to defend is to control the game away from your defence - which is what we have been doing - with and without the ball, for long periods of the last few games. barcelona at their recent peak were a great example, had so little defending to do that they could afford to play a midfielder at centre back.

the good thing for us is that jackson now knows he can't just walk back into the team, and needs to impress in training. and also needs to keep his game at 100% if he does get back in. finetimesindeed and uti.