Cowleys sacked | Page 12 | Vital Football

Cowleys sacked

The hints dropped on Radio Leeds last night suggested that the Chairman thought they should be getting a bit more of a tune out of the foreign talent there, which seems to stem from the fact they can't get shut of them due to high wages so should at least keep them involved.

Need to sell to buy as well because no investment is going in. A case of someone having to come in and work with what they've got and not wanting to cut their losses on players.

Obviously one of the possible multiple issues around budgets, but we all knew this'd happen anyway. Still baffling that DC/NC, as two intelligent and diligent guys, didn't. Unless they've been completely lied to and shafted. And I don't think DC is the type of person who'll let things go unchallenged if he feels he's been wronged. When those two things collide...

I am sure it's regarded as a good thing maybe even a neccessity for a Manager to be a bad loser and to be confident in their own abilities. However some of his touchline shenanigans and general petulance when he doesn't get his own way can come over as a bit objectionable.
It was no real problem for us because he was massively in credit but even so, amongst other things that nonsense about the sprinklers one game, the dreadful interview with Rob Makepeace and the contradictory statements just before he went to Huddersfield left a bit to be desired this season.
Although you can't say he was unsuccessful for Huddersfield he is only proven at Non League and League 2 level. It has been a struggle all season for them and without that credit in the bank I can understand how his style combined with poor results could irritate people he works with and for. Huddersfield had the option for someone and something completely different and have gone for it. I don't think it is a bad decision by them and it's just the way football works.
This shouldn't do his career much harm at all although he wouldn't be the most obvious candidate if I was a Championship Chairman. Hopefully he will end up back here one day and maybe with a bucket to sit on well away from the 4th umpire

Apparently the Chairman had decided to dispense with their services during the lock-down
Can't find the tweet now, but that was on there.

Cowley wanted to sign more British players, and Chairman didn't. The Chairman wanted full control of transfers as well and releasing players against their will (presumably Danny Simpson was one).

There's clearly been a complete change of the agreement since September. Still can't understand why the chairman elected to sack rather than making their position untenable as DC would probably resign under those circumstances, thereby saving money on severance etc....

I’m not sure but in general when a manager departs a club they remain on the payroll until such a time they get another gig, rather than a bucket load of money upfront.

The hints dropped on Radio Leeds last night suggested that the Chairman thought they should be getting a bit more of a tune out of the foreign talent there, which seems to stem from the fact they can't get shut of them due to high wages so should at least keep them involved.

Need to sell to buy as well because no investment is going in. A case of someone having to come in and work with what they've got and not wanting to cut their losses on players.

Obviously one of the possible multiple issues around budgets, but we all knew this'd happen anyway. Still baffling that DC/NC, as two intelligent and diligent guys, didn't. Unless they've been completely lied to and shafted. And I don't think DC is the type of person who'll let things go unchallenged if he feels he's been wronged. When those two things collide...

I think Kongolo is a major talking point here. Worth over £10m probably a few months ago, but how much now? His value has decreased hugely this season and I would think the devaluing of some of the club's assets – with Cowley giving Kongolo and chums the cold shoulder – is a sticking point with the chairman.

I think Kongolo is a major talking point here. Worth over £10m probably a few months ago, but how much now? His value has decreased hugely this season and I would think the devaluing of some of the club's assets – with Cowley giving Kongolo and chums the cold shoulder – is a sticking point with the chairman.

More a poor indictment of their previous buying policy, one which they seem to want to return to

Good answer Plumbob, Gary Megson is hero at Albion. He cameback as Pulis's 2nd it tarnised his rep. Appleton has stablised you, knows the league and will advance you
Not particularly anything to do with Appleton, although I do think he will do well with us. More that the brothers had decided they had outgrown us (probably correctly) and duly acted on it. Nothing has changed since, apart from theyve been sacked, so they have still outgrown us. To be fair, I doubt they'd want to come back anyway, and have their sights set higher up.

Jules, can you re-name this thread Cowley's Sacked, please?

Surely there were two Cowleys sacked, so 'Cowleys sacked' would be correct.

Unless you meant that only Danny Cowley had been sacked, in which case 'Cowley's sacked' would be correct because you are saying 'Danny Cowley is sacked.' If so, was his brother not sacked, too?

Unless, of course, you were just joking, in which case, bollocks!