Cowleys sacked | Page 10 | Vital Football

Cowleys sacked

Hmmmm. Sacking was never really a part of their astronomical rise to the top was it.

Have they done enough to interest Bristol city or similar... teams that would want to be at the top end of the championship? Be very interested to see where they end up next.
seems to be following a similar path to Nathan Jones. Jump to ‘Big club’ with high expectations, Too high, too quick. Although imo, things would have to change drastically for cowleys to end up back with us.

You mean saving HTFC from relegation to L1 from a position after 9 games which no Championship club has recovered from.

How is that "too high, too quick"? They have made Championship history at HTFC and that will go very well on their CV indeed

Haven’t read all this thread, but the bit that confuses me Is where the club says they “have a different vision for the way we operate the club and our ambitions going forward.” I would have thought this would have been laid out in detail by the Cowleys at during the recruitment process last year and HTFC would have agreed that approach. I know things change but...

One of the rumours doing the rounds is that the Cowleys have been tapped up by Bristol City.

When the brothers left us for Huddersfield, one of the things that many Imps fans were a bit sore about was that they didn’t think it was the right move for the Cowleys, and not the kind of club many envisaged them leaving them for.

I’m curious, had they left us for Bristol City, would that sentiment still have existed? For me, it seems more of a ‘fit’ than Huddersfield....

Anyway, best of luck to them, I shall watch from afar!

Michael Appleton’s barmy army!

I can’t see it relating to being tapped up, if Bristol City were interested; Huddersfield would of held tight for the compensation.

I would think there will be a takeover looming, or the current chairman just hasn’t got the goods as first promised.

Cowley's want to challenge from the word go, same as us in League 1 - they may need to change their tact due to the current climate and find a 2/3 year product they can build. The thing that is a fine commodity in football nowadays.

Cowleys are favourites for the Bristol City job at some bookies.

As said my others, Bristol City seem a much better fit for them.

Fairly obvious that a major falling-out has taken place between chairman and managers. Otherwise, why not do a 'mutual consent' given the statement talks about "going in different directions"...?

Pretty sure this came down to being promised PL parachute money for next season when they joined, but then Covid providing the skint chairman with enough of a reason to slash the budget for next year. Cowley didn't like being told he'd have to work on a reduced budget at Lincoln, so you can be sure he wouldn't have reacted well to that either.

For sure, they did a solid job keeping an awful side in the division. But I wonder if the sacking will affect their chances of finding a bigger or similar-sized club for next season? Not sure that Bristol City is such a great fit as Championship chairmen may well now see them as damaged or unproven goods. They may need to take a step back to L1 to go forward again.

I was one of the many who were disappointed by the Cowleys' choice of club when they left. For similar reasons, desperately hoping they now don't pitch up at that other stinkhouse of a club Hull City. Although sorry to say that after getting the boot at Huddersfield, I see them being a much better 'fit' than an established and ambitious Championship club.

Fully expect they'll be in somewhere ready for next season. Will be very interesting to see where.

Fairly obvious that a major falling-out has taken place between chairman and managers. Otherwise, why not do a 'mutual consent' given the statement talks about "going in different directions"...?

Pretty sure this came down to being promised PL parachute money for next season when they joined, but then Covid providing the skint chairman with enough of a reason to slash the budget for next year. Cowley didn't like being told he'd have to work on a reduced budget at Lincoln, so you can be sure he wouldn't have reacted well to that either.

For sure, they did a solid job keeping an awful side in the division. But I wonder if the sacking will affect their chances of finding a bigger or similar-sized club for next season? Not sure that Bristol City is such a great fit as Championship chairmen may well now see them as damaged or unproven goods. They may need to take a step back to L1 to go forward again.

I was one of the many who were disappointed by the Cowleys' choice of club when they left. For similar reasons, desperately hoping they now don't pitch up at that other stinkhouse of a club Hull City. Although sorry to say that after getting the boot at Huddersfield, I see them being a much better 'fit' than an established and ambitious Championship club.

Fully expect they'll be in somewhere ready for next season. Will be very interesting to see where.

On the first BIB part I’ve highlighted, I can’t see this sacking being damaging to them at all tbh with regards to gaining another big job etc

I think alot is being read into this from some especially with the rumours floating around etc etc, I think in reality it’s just a case of Covid changing the situation on the finances front and the Cowleys weren’t happy with the ratio between lack of quality in the squad and the new cut budget because of Covid and there for leading to differing visions between Chairman and Managers.

I could also be wrong, but I think it’s a far more realistic possibility and a more understandable one as to why a sacking had to be made. The Cowleys won’t walk away because of the money on the table, so it had to be a sacking, but in no way damaging them or their Rep.

And on the second BIB, I keep seeing it mentioned of folks being disappointed in “their choice” of Club to move on too, Huddersfield was never their choice of move, No one laid down £1 million a year salary on the table other than Huddersfield.....essentially an offer no sane person can refuse, they were chosen, they didn’t choose Huddersfield 😊

Even as somebody who loves the Cowleys, I'm not sure I agree with this. They had three great years here but they moved on and so should we.

Also, Appleton deserves a chance to build his own squad and see what he can do next season.
Totally agree whilst they did a fantastic job there aspirations are greater then a club of Lincolns size .
Dont have a issue with Michael Appleton i have heard through the grapevine hes a first class coach and well regarded. He was unlucky at blackpool and portsmouth did well at oxford . Give him time he will build a good squad. Wonder what he thinks if he reads this forum with people wanting to get Danny and Nicky back. Be gratefull for what they did but be gratefull for having michael here. There are many worse out there.

Hmmmm. Sacking was never really a part of their astronomical rise to the top was it.

Have they done enough to interest Bristol city or similar... teams that would want to be at the top end of the championship? Be very interested to see where they end up next.
seems to be following a similar path to Nathan Jones. Jump to ‘Big club’ with high expectations, Too high, too quick. Although imo, things would have to change drastically for cowleys to end up back with us.
To be fair, they've made a far better go of it than Nathan Jones and Paul Hurst, who also moved from L1. Huddersfield would be mid-table if the season started when they took over, and that's with only one transfer window and working with a very similar squad.

I can't think of too many other, if any, managers who've moved from a L1 club to a Championship one (moving to different clubs, not being promoted with the same one) and done any better.

One of the rumours doing the rounds is that the Cowleys have been tapped up by Bristol City.

When the brothers left us for Huddersfield, one of the things that many Imps fans were a bit sore about was that they didn’t think it was the right move for the Cowleys, and not the kind of club many envisaged them leaving them for.

I’m curious, had they left us for Bristol City, would that sentiment still have existed? For me, it seems more of a ‘fit’ than Huddersfield....

Anyway, best of luck to them, I shall watch from afar!

Michael Appleton’s barmy army!
Bristol City certainly would have fallen under a better move than Huddersfield. The former are a very stable Championship Club, solid finances, have a billionaire owner and one who gives managers plenty of time.

According to news reports hinged around transfer policy which they had control of at Lincoln - but not at Huddersfield as in hands of Chairman and Director of Football operations - Hull City anyone?

This transfer policy thing seems really odd. Reports at the time suggested they turned Huddersfield down a number of times until eventually the job description changed from Head Coach to Manager. Perhaps once they got them on board they changed the job description on them.

Piece on their sacking in today's Times puts a lot of emphasis on DC's insistence on the role as 'manager' with a much wider remit including recruitment, than the 'head coach' model Huddersfield had been operating. Without expressly saying so, the article infers the 'different vision' is linked to that. Expect their new man to be 'head coach'.

The Cowleys' reputation wont have been too damaged by this, and they'll have learned a lot from the experience which will strengthen their ability to negotiate some of the politics they'll not have encountered previously.

I'd be really surprised though if they ended up at some basket case like Hull.

Shocked to hear this yesterday but our experiences with Huddersfield have always left a bitter taste in my mouth and this just confirms what I always thought of them as a club that they are just a horrid with delusions of grandeur.

Clearly they feel they should be right up at the top of the PL playing stylish football not pragmatic stuff to get them out of the deep hole they were in. Well they are going to look very foolish when DC/NC go past them with a new club and they get relegated next year because they have worked wonders with a poor team imo.

If we don't get promoted I shall look forward to going there the season after next in League 1 to mock them.

All this is very odd. Huge amount of money for HTFC to get them in and back them in January to then sack them, presume there may be a clause for them to receive compo should they find another job. Added to a chairman already with a split fan base. Very ballsy. Now more than ever will DC need to choose the correct chairman.

I do wonder if the Cowley's only intended this to be short term - worked well as they rescued the basket case and made a packet in the process. They have proven they can manage at that level. Just hope they take Toffollo with them - poor bugger is stuck there!