Cowleys sacked | Page 4 | Vital Football

Cowleys sacked

If appleton signs some decent players and lincoln make a decent start to the season, and I am saying maybe 16th spot in the league as being respectable, then there is no issue. But what would happen if lincoln are in the bottom four and the cowleys are still without a job? Nathan jones has done great at luton again....appleton will no doubt feel the pressure has increased a bit on him today.

Funnily enough, Cowley has been linked with that job.

If Watford come down, it's not the worst shout. Still, I think Bristol City is more likely. Similar size club to Huddersfield but in a much better position to compete for promotion in the coming years.

Also, Watford get through managers at an insane rate, so that would be another riksy move.

If appleton signs some decent players and lincoln make a decent start to the season, and I am saying maybe 16th spot in the league as being respectable, then there is no issue. But what would happen if lincoln are in the bottom four and the cowleys are still without a job? Nathan jones has done great at luton again....appleton will no doubt feel the pressure has increased a bit on him today.

With what he has been through I think he can handle pressure.

Cowley’s favourites for Bristol City job on SkyBet. It would suit their mandate much more than Huddersfield but I would have thought unlikely given timings.

appleton will no doubt feel the pressure has increased a bit on him today.
I don't think he will be worried in the slightest. He has often spoken of his awareness of the ghost of the Cowleys, and took the job in full knowledge of that. Anyway, who believes in their wildest dreams that the Cowleys would be interested in any way in a return to Lincoln? Firstly, the reasons why they left are unchanged. Secondly, their ambitions go way beyond our level, and the Huddersfield experience will not have changed that one bit. Their reputation may even be enhanced by what they have achieved at Huddersfield - 50 points from 39 games with someone else's relegated players is not a bad achievement. Huddersfield had won once in 33 games before they arrived, and that was 1-0 with a 91st-minute goal.

Last edited:
I always thought the Cowley brothers were astute off the field but choose a bonkers club like Huddersfield. However the compensation they will receive reflects that they may be astute after all. Choose the chairman and the board is more difficult in the championship because that too is a bonkers league.

Pathetic decision by a classless club. Without allowing people time to develop their system and bring in their players teams will never evolve and move upwards. We are in a new era now with the big 🍎 at the helm. There is no need for us to change direction now although still very sad they left us and in the way it happened. A very lucky club will be getting a top management team very soon.

Agree with every point made. I have just spent a while looking at Huddersfield Forum and then Bristol City , and cant help thinking that the supporters in both clubs are in cloud cuckoo land , they seem to think they live in Barcelona . Dont feel that being managerless is worrying , and they are looking forward to the messiah who will play football "the way we deserve"

Odd timing from HTFC, although better now than later in the summer from both perspectives if the sacking was inevitable. Which it probably always was...

The Cowleys will be hot property on the annual manager merry-go-round this summer. Good luck to them in continuing their Remarkable Journey®.

Agree with every point made. I have just spent a while looking at Huddersfield Forum and then Bristol City , and cant help thinking that the supporters in both clubs are in cloud cuckoo land , they seem to think they live in Barcelona . Dont feel that being managerless is worrying , and they are looking forward to the messiah who will play football "the way we deserve"
That manager was sacked earlier in the season.

Coming back to Lincoln will not happen...at all.

Their decision (listening to interviews with Cowleys, Clive and Liam Scully) to leave followed discussion where it was clear they had a game plan which we could not finance as a sustainable model seems pretty reliable. MA is a manager who can deliver a team within a sustainable model and that is what we need. We are a small fish in a big pond now.

There is some suggestion on social media (amongst a huge amount of anger from HTFC fans) that there was some similar contention between Cowleys and owner at HTFC regarding investment for next season and that may be a reason for the departures.

Bristol City may be the next port of call but I feel sorry for their wives and kids having to up sticks and relocate again (wherever it may be) if it is.

Otherwise won't be Lincoln but there could be a number of clubs interested after season end.

Amazed HTFC have done this but football never ceases to amaze me.

I would think financially Huddersfield aren’t in a good position. Sounds like a case of false promises? Some talk of the previous owner returning.

Ridiculous decision representing all that is wrong with football.
I wish them well, but hope they don't pop up at a local rival.

Absolutely ridiculous decision by Huddersfield. They would have been relegated without them.

In all honesty though I hope that they have earned a very decent wage over the last 10 months to set themselves up for the future and no doubt that there will be a lot of clubs who will be looking to get them into the managers seat soon

As has been said, I hope we have a decent sell on clause for Toffolo.

I think their stock has considerably increased after saving HTFC from what seemed a certain drop. I think they have potential to go to a top championship club, ideally for them that has the money and serious ambition to have a serious go at promotion next year.

Whatever happens, the cowleys can sit back today and count a sizeable redundancy package. They are financially secure now so well done to them. Wouldnt we all like that!! Of course they will get another job in time. In all probability, it will be with a bigger club than lincoln and one which is trying to do well or get promoted in the championship. In the cold light of day, they have done well to keep huddersfield up this year.

If appleton signs decent players and makes a respectable start (I wrote 16th place earlier) then there is no issue at all. We all hope that this happens.

However, how much time will appleton get if things dont go to plan? If the cowleys are jobless after 10 games, then questions are bound to be asked.

Coming back to Lincoln will not happen...at all.

Their decision (listening to interviews with Cowleys, Clive and Liam Scully) to leave followed discussion where it was clear they had a game plan which we could not finance as a sustainable model seems pretty reliable. MA is a manager who can deliver a team within a sustainable model and that is what we need. We are a small fish in a big pond now.

There is some suggestion on social media (amongst a huge amount of anger from HTFC fans) that there was some similar contention between Cowleys and owner at HTFC regarding investment for next season and that may be a reason for the departures.

Bristol City may be the next port of call but I feel sorry for their wives and kids having to up sticks and relocate again (wherever it may be) if it is.

Otherwise won't be Lincoln but there could be a number of clubs interested after season end.

Amazed HTFC have done this but football never ceases to amaze me.
The Cowleys still live here.