Cowleys sacked | Page 11 | Vital Football

Cowleys sacked

This transfer policy thing seems really odd. Reports at the time suggested they turned Huddersfield down a number of times until eventually the job description changed from Head Coach to Manager. Perhaps once they got them on board they changed the job description on them.

As more and more Championship clubs move towards having a head coach rather than a manager, they might find it difficult to find another club at that level who will agree to their demands as to the scope of the job. There has been talk of them perhaps going to Watford but no PL club would take them on those terms.

HTFC getting the Leeds coach in at Huddersfield, Corberan, by all accounts. Not sure why he'd want it either. Bielsa seems to love him and again, risky club choice.

Probably happier with the coach/ DoF type model though, and maybe able to pick up some of Leeds' u23s (their academy has come on loads in the last few years/probably some decent players he could snaffle on loan there).

Likely very different to what the Cowleys want to do. As Notty says though, if they want absolute full control of everything we're probably about the biggest club they can have now!

Hello all, I've said before The Cowley story is entwined with Lincoln City he should have stayed and taken you as far as he could. You gave him so much goodwill. The higher the league the more complicated it gets because of money. He was never going to get complete control. Sad but he's goal would've been playoffs as huddersfield were just relegated. Much Like nathan jones at Stoke. No doubt he'll get a big payoff. Would you take him back?

Hello all, I've said before The Cowley story is entwined with Lincoln City he should have stayed and taken you as far as he could. You gave him so much goodwill. The higher the league the more complicated it gets because of money. He was never going to get complete control. Sad but he's goal would've been playoffs as huddersfield were just relegated. Much Like nathan jones at Stoke. No doubt he'll get a big payoff. Would you take him back?
No

Good answer Plumbob, Gary Megson is hero at Albion. He cameback as Pulis's 2nd it tarnised his rep. Appleton has stablised you, knows the league and will advance you

It will be interesting to see what official line Huddersfield trot out. Think they have a press conference in about an hour ( so mentioned yesterday...could have changed haven't checked). If it is down to control over transfers etc...that smacks of any old excuse as if you are owner/chairman and you decide to go down that line against the managers wish you'll just wait for the inevitable resignation thereby saving a hefty payout.

Likely very different to what the Cowleys want to do. As Notty says though, if they want absolute full control of everything we're probably about the biggest club they can have now!

They will probably have to re-consider their views on this to get further up the football food chain. I can't really think of any club in the top two divisions who don't operate in this way now

They will be obviously announcing the new bloke today who they've tapped up some weeks ago. Bringing his own team with him I'd imagine. If it's that Leeds coach with the rivalry between those supporters he better hit the ground running otherwise the fans will turn ugly(ier)

There's an article on the Huddersfield local paper site ranking their signings suggesting it was £500k for Toff (rated 9/10).

They will probably have to re-consider their views on this to get further up the football food chain. I can't really think of any club in the top two divisions who don't operate in this way now

Yep exactley how most clubs who spend some time in the prem now structure themselves. It's just too much for just a manager. Anyway good luck lads and stay safe in these weird time

This 'manager v head coach' argument is very interesting, and probably significant. As baggie192 points out, managerial structures become complicated the higher up the pyramid you go. Danny Cowley is the kind of manager who has to control everything, and that worked magnificently at Lincoln. In fact, having one man with the energy and ability to control everything was precisely what Lincoln needed and had been missing. I cannot ever believe he will be comfortable with a director of football above him. That may mean his opportunities at the higher levels are limited, unless he shows that his more autocratic style can also be effective.

Huddersfield was the wrong club for them, we all realised that at the time they left. It looked a mess, staffed by mercenary bottom-end Premier League players with no commitment and no fight. They had become used to losing literally every week, and did not appear to care one jot. Bristol City is a more attractive club, it has a redeveloped stadium and plenty of genuine untapped potential. Danny spoke of the need to add value when he joined Lincoln, and I am not sure that existed at Huddersfield. It does exist at Bristol City, which is a club that has underperformed for too long in my opinion. That would have been a good move for them, had it been available ten months ago.

I do not want them back at Lincoln, certainly not at this juncture, because the two parties are not aligned in either philosophy or methodology; four years ago, they were. They were the right people for us then, but I genuinely believe we have the right man in Michael Appleton for where the club is now.

Wherever they end up, I wish them well. They were brilliant for this club, but the world has moved on.

They will be obviously announcing the new bloke today who they've tapped up some weeks ago. Bringing his own team with him I'd imagine. If it's that Leeds coach with the rivalry between those supporters he better hit the ground running otherwise the fans will turn ugly(ier)
Rumour suggests Carlos Corberan to be announced at 1.30pm. I find that a very strange appointment if true, no experience at all as a manager. The football graveyard is littered with the bodies of coaches and assistant managers who were unable to make the transition. I think that is the last thing Huddersfield need - a safe pair of hands to rebuild would have been a better idea.

Last edited:
Maybe it was just a spat over petrol/diesel money they were getting as travel costs between Lincoln and T'uddersfield!

Carlos Corberan to be announced at 1.30pm. I find that a very strange appointment, no experience at all as a manager. The football graveyard is littered with the bodies of coaches and assistant managers who were unable to make the transition. I think that is the last thing Huddersfield need - a safe pair of hands to rebuild would have been a better idea.
They're hoping to recreate Wagner, who was an asssitant coach under Klopp at Dortmund. But Siewert also came from there.

Corberan's a different background and no experience at that level of responsiblity. They want their own version of Arteta, they don't want a manager, but a coach focussed on team preparation, but its still a huge gamble.

Don't want to wish ill on anyone (much) but waving is passing as the Imps and Hudds move in opposite directions at the end of next season would be special.

Would you take him back?
Right now, no, simply because we have reached the financial limit of DC's approach. We've been on the brink before and our current Chairman and directors are not going to let that happen again, so far as that is under our control - to overspend is just not an option.

Michael Appleton is happy to work with what we do have, and looking forward by developing young players with good potential, so he is absolutely the man for the Imps job right now. In future, if we were without a manager and DC & NC were available and willing to work within our sensible financial structure (whatever that may be at the time, up or down the leagues) - then yes, I would welcome them back. I doubt that being feasible looking at everything currently, though.