Cowley: Talks taking place with "multiple targets" | Vital Football

Cowley: Talks taking place with "multiple targets"

oldimpsfan

Vital 1st Team Regular
http://www.lincolnshireecho.co.uk/Lincoln-City-boss-Danny-Cowley-won-t-pay-players/story-29334078-detail/story.html

Hopefully some new face this week with a bit of luck. Might be a few more if the Rhead transfer provides some extra funds.

Aren't they officially quitting as teachers tomorrow to become our full time management team on Wednesday?

Davidimp - 30/5/2016 15:17

Aren't they officially quitting as teachers tomorrow to become our full time management team on Wednesday?

Yes, thought it was June 1st, though they could well be on holiday straight after then I suppose.

Tis half term so would make sense for them to be hols this week. Make the most of it busy time ahead get the new faces in and get rid of one or two.

Interesting that it mentions Cowley wanting 5 in again. I would like the Echo to ask if that number will go up if Rhead and one or two more depart. Is it 5 plus replacing those who leave or we know who is leaving and are signing 5 players with that in mind?

Like the fact they keep the supporters up to date, without giving anything away who their targets are. Very different to previous recent managers. Like the way they go about things. UTI.

oldimpsfan - 30/5/2016 18:03

It may well be that some of those retained have been deemed okay as cover rather than starting players.

They may also become an "improved product".

I wasn't entirely sure that was ever going to happen, but only because it was DC/NC last day in their job on Friday.

Unless it was secured while they were down there, just not announced until the FA have done their bit (bearing in mind it was a bank holiday weekend).

Ex-Ref - 30/5/2016 20:24

It may well be that some of those retained have been deemed okay as cover rather than starting players.

Agreed. I hope the Cowleys do improve the current crop of players and trust that they will.

However, their avowed 5 - 10% improvement (a perfectly reasonable target) is nowhere near enough to get us close to the playoffs. We need to sign 5/6 players of significantly better quality for that. I would suggest those players need to be 30% better than the current average quality of the squad.

NottyImp - 1/6/2016 09:53

Agreed. I hope the Cowleys do improve the current crop of players and trust that they will.

However, their avowed 5 - 10% improvement (a perfectly reasonable target) is nowhere near enough to get us close to the playoffs. We need to sign 5/6 players of significantly better quality for that. I would suggest those players need to be 30% better than the current average quality of the squad.

You a maths teacher by any chance, Notty? :eek:

Impalex - 1/6/2016 09:54

NottyImp - 1/6/2016 09:53

You a maths teacher by any chance, Notty? :eek:

Well, I used to be. Taught statistics, bio-mechanics, physics and scientific method at one time, as well.

Here's my reasoning, btw:

We finished on 61 points last season, fully 19 points short of fifth position. Since points gained seems to be just about the best measure of performance, to finish fifth, we would need an overall improvement of the squad by:

19/61 *100 = 31%.

Therefore, in fact, improving the current squad by 10% is nowhere near enough. Arguably, the new players need to be *even better* than +30% to compensate for current players only being improved by, say, +10%

NottyImp - 1/6/2016 10:00

Here's my reasoning, btw:

We finished on 61 points last season, fully 19 points short of fifth position. Since points gained seems to be just about the best measure of performance, to finish fifth, we would need an overall improvement of the squad by:

19/61 *100 = 31%.

Therefore, in fact, improving the current squad by 10% is nowhere near enough. Arguably, the new players need to be *even better* than +30% to compensate for current players only being improved by, say, +10%

What about squad dynamics? Is there not a cumulative multiplying effect?