Cowley and Dons? | Page 8 | Vital Football

Cowley and Dons?

I thought Danny and Nicky's budget for the conference season was slightly less than the season before under Moyes?

Only those with close personal knowledge could say, however at the start of this season Michael Appleton did a podcast in which he used the words I put in quotation marks.

Maybe Appleton worked out the budget by getting a peek at the breakdown of the full accounts, and then getting the breakdown of the full accounts of all the other national league clubs

The reality with DC , and he will know this, is that the longer you are out of the game the more difficult it becomes to get that perfect managerial job. So connections to the likes of Orient and Colchester become that more viable the longer you wait.

I would expect come the summer managerial roundabout across the 92 teams, DC will find himself another job. It just might not be as high up the ladder as might have been previously thought

As daft as that Orient fan's synopsis may be, the budget was "in the top two" for both the National League and in League 2.
The National League budget was around £500,000, which was £50,000 less than Chris Moyses had in 2015-16. That was not even close to being top two in the National League that season. It was topped up from the cup run to provide a few loan signings, but only Angol and Ginnelly really had any impact at all of those.

Danny said after promotion to League One in 2019 that his budget was no higher than top seven.

Only those with close personal knowledge could say, however at the start of this season Michael Appleton did a podcast in which he used the words I put in quotation marks.

See below, I was referencing the work Scotimp did for his book, which I assume takes numbers he received directly from the club and I suspect he is referencing in his post...

See below, I was referencing the work Scotimp did for his book, which I assume takes numbers he received directly from the club and I suspect he is referencing in his post...
Correct - the numbers came from Bob Dorrian. Bob was also close to other National League chairmen and pretty much knew what everyone else had. As for Danny's comment, it is not immediately verifiable but unlikely he was lying.

Maybe Appleton worked out the budget by getting a peek at the breakdown of the full accounts, and then getting the breakdown of the full accounts of all the other national league clubs

"...the club are telling me they spent a lot of money gaining.. promotion from the Conference into League 2, and then out of League 2 into League 1. Their budget was definitely in the top two for three seasons"

I thought our conference budget was a 7th/8th highest sort of area and then topped up to one of the biggest budgets in Jan when we saw the opportunity? That is entirely from impression though.

The league 2 budget was similar but topped up between seasons? (Again only an impression).

The league 1 budget I’m under the impression is just under average. I’m sure there’s much better informed though.

with regards to Appleton leaving, I would suspect he’s been sounded out for a couple of jobs (because, you know, he’s doing a great job) but he’s engaged with the 3 year project here and the new contract sends a message to other clubs.

Both still half way through a 3 yr contract so certainly will be cautious regarding any new jobs out there financially
They’ve always said taking over a club in the summer is the preferred timescale for them
They’ll be at L1 level most likely as the jump back into Championship isn’t realistic

"...the club are telling me they spent a lot of money gaining.. promotion from the Conference into League 2, and then out of League 2 into League 1. Their budget was definitely in the top two for three seasons"

There is only one way both those statements can be true and that is if Moyes did the most desperately poor job imaginable with the budget he was given...