#COVID19 | Page 914 | Vital Football

#COVID19

Probably best not to listen to 'The jump' on radio 4 (11 am today and a week ago, no doubt available on BBC Sounds).

Last week was about covid, today was avian flu. Far deadlier than covid, endemic in wild birds like ducks, always lurking ready to mutate and jump into chickens - and thence (sometimes via pigs) to humans.

The presenter asked an expert if a pandemic was inevitable, and she shocked him by answering 'Yes'. Not if but when. We have been warned.

Probably best not to listen to 'The jump' on radio 4 (11 am today and a week ago, no doubt available on BBC Sounds).

Last week was about covid, today was avian flu. Far deadlier than covid, endemic in wild birds like ducks, always lurking ready to mutate and jump into chickens - and thence (sometimes via pigs) to humans.

The presenter asked an expert if a pandemic was inevitable, and she shocked him by answering 'Yes'. Not if but when. We have been warned.

Well aren't you the cheery one?

Von der Leyen says the EU could seize production of vaccines and suspend intellectual property rights.

'All options are on the table. We are in the crisis of the century and I'm not ruling out anything for now. We have to make sure Europeans are vaccinated as soon as possible.'
The basis for this would be Article 122 of the EU Treaty, an emergency clause which allows exceptional measures to be taken 'if severe difficulties arise in the supply of certain products' to Member States. Von der Leyen says it was used once before, during the 1970s oil crisis.

Tip Ursula. Tell the member states to use the supplies they have, FFS.

Also, any big Pharma companies, thinking of setting up in the EU, have handbrake turned away from this idea.

Last edited:
Yet you only congratulated this Tory govt that's gotten most things wrong.

And have caused more deaths. While giving huge profits to their friends while they f#cked up the contracts on many occasions.

Without the Government purchasing what they did, all the rest would have been all fart and no shit, like we are witnessing across the channel.

It's fine having the manufacturing capability, but if the order is not placed there is zero point.

Social media. People have a platform to type whatever woo they like without reproach. Scientific woo is the most disturbing, but the general levels are extraordinary.

We have seen this transcend into politics. The luvvies on Twitter singlehandedly told their gullible followers that Brexit was a terrible idea, but fortunately the population in general thinks they're just gobby privileged twats and ignored them, thank goodness. Otherwise we would have only vaccinated 10%, not the 50% we are hitting later this week.

Brexit is an excellent example of how real world data is being ignored for the ideological spin story. As we have been through, member states were free to pursue whatever vaccination policy they chose. Most of them chose solidarity, we chose 'we're alright jack'.

Nevertheless the comes a point when you must be seen as a one trick pony. Yes vaccinations are going well but just like the govt you say very little on everything else. The vaccines are an important step but the real meat is the reconstruction that is required.

Whats your thinking on the NHS getting a budget less than 2 weeks before the new financial year?

I've never seen anyone change their opinion from positive to absolute unbridled hatred accompanied by 27/4 propaganda, and celebrations of EU deaths like you apparently did.

I think that's a besmirching of my gentle character, I have never once celebrated any deaths, and as you may know I have human and financial interests in France, so you are very wrong.
But yes, I am like an annoying reformed smoker.

Last edited:
I'm just wondering if many more people, like I did shortly after the EU ref, see the EU for what they are and change their opinions?

Isnt that exactly what we did tho? Declared an emergency and suspended all normal procedures and gave contracts to tory donors because it was an emergency?

Sounds like pot calling ketle black

Isnt that exactly what we did tho? Declared an emergency and suspended all normal procedures and gave contracts to tory donors because it was an emergency?

Sounds like pot calling ketle black

There is a huge difference with living with one level of incompetent governance which can be kicked out, but not with an unnecessary additional one which cannot.

EU and UVL about to use article 122. Nice.

The European Union has threatened to restrict vaccine exports to the UK to "make sure Europeans are vaccinated as soon as possible".

There is a stinking rat here. Question the efficacy, safety, etc. to justify blocking exports to the UK. The EU are getting to the depths of whale shit.

I think that's a besmirching of my gentle character, I have never once celebrated any deaths, and as you may know I have human and financial interests in France, so you are very wrong.

You certainly come across as cock-a-hoop at any difficulty the EU has. Your concern for fellow europeans does ring hollow im afraid.

There is a huge difference with living with one level of incompetent governance which can be kicked out, but not with an unnecessary additional one which cannot.

Im assuming you are talking about the commission appointed by national govts rather than MEPs who are directly accountable at the ballot box.

Yes why not have one rule for them and another for us

The European Union has threatened to restrict vaccine exports to the UK to "make sure Europeans are vaccinated as soon as possible".

There is a stinking rat here. Question the efficacy, safety, etc. to justify blocking exports to the UK. The EU are getting to the depths of whale shit.

Let's role reverse for a minute.

Pretend we had contracts with EU companies that were not being fulfilled but at the same time we had exported 31m doses to the EU.

You'd be jumping up and down demanding we kept our doses until they fulfilled their obligations.

Wouldn't you?