#COVID19 | Page 904 | Vital Football

#COVID19

The Eagle centre is streets ahead of either of the Nottingham centres.

Broadmarsh was about to start it's redevelopment when the pandemic hit, stopped the whole thing and precipitated the collapse of Intu in June.

I enjoy visiting a town centre to shop and get a bite to eat, and so do millions of others. Just because you don't isn't reason to abandon a large part of the economy

Broadmarsh was being redeveloped years ago, and that fell through well before Covid. BHS , Alders etc shut years ago. No expert on shopping centres, but my wife will head for the Victoria centre every time, despite the fact she comes from Derbyshire. Nottingham is probably not big enough for two shopping centres, but once you get outside the Eagle Centre my wife tells me there is nothing to see in Derby, whereas Nottingham has Hockley and numerous shops in the City Centre too.

No, this one. It's from the Times but I read it on the BBC news review page

View attachment 46764
This says that the difference between us and Germany (a target of much derision on here) is only the difference between June 10th and July 7th! 4 weeks? Not bad going by the Germans seeing as we were able to start the process a few weeks before them.
Fwiw, I don't trust these dates much, and certainly not the financial calculation.

Remember, too, that these dates are for the first jab only. The EU nations are likely to have fully vaccinated a much greater proportion of their populations by those dates.

Broadmarsh was being redeveloped years ago, and that fell through well before Covid. BHS , Alders etc shut years ago. No expert on shopping centres, but my wife will head for the Victoria centre every time, despite the fact she comes from Derbyshire. Nottingham is probably not big enough for two shopping centres, but once you get outside the Eagle Centre my wife tells me there is nothing to see in Derby, whereas Nottingham has Hockley and numerous shops in the City Centre too.
Nottingham has supported two centres for 40 years. Broadmarsh has been in decline because there have been so many different plans to redevelop it with cinemas, bowling alleys etc have fallen through.

Nottingham had one of the best shopping centres in the UK 20 years ago.

Saving 50% is pointless?
it isnt saving 50% , Im talking about contagion anyway, its protecting up to 50% which with something that exponential growth doesnt mean much. i.e you are likley to only catch it off every 2 people you meet as opposed to every one person then its still going to spread almost as quickly

Last edited:
Nottingham has supported two centres for 40 years. Broadmarsh has been in decline because there have been so many different plans to redevelop it with cinemas, bowling alleys etc have fallen through.

Nottingham had one of the best shopping centres in the UK 20 years ago.

Seeems many many councils etc , even over here are looking at what on earth do we do with town centres and mals. Because they have been in decline for years, before the pandemic.
Cant say I care as Im not into Starbucks and Armani and every single town centre in Europe kinda looks the same which is shit.

Business rates are also just another big theft, and landlords are a protected species. Need to get on top of both of those things

it isnt saving 50% , Im talking about contagion anyway, its protecting up to 50% which with something that exponential growth doesnt mean much. i.e you are likley to only catch it off every 2 people you meet as opposed to every one person then its still going to spread almost as quickly
If you halve the number of people each infected person passes it on to, you halve the reproduction rate, R. Keeping R below 1 is critical because you then get exponential decline, rather than exponential growth.

According to BBC reports, the entire EU, both rich and poor nations alike, are just two months behind the UK. For all the hot air, there will end up being little difference and the only reason the UK will finish ahead at all is because the programme has gone more quickly than anticipated.

300m vaccinated only two months behind 60m, who had a head start and a "looser" regulatory procedure....

Meanwhile, due to the mindset of this government and its incompetent leader, we have had the longest and most destructive lockdown, one of fourth highest death rate and one of the highest infection rates in the world which has devastated the economy.

To use one example, Nottingham has permanently lost broadmarsh, many of its shops and probably John Lewis. As a shopping destination Nottingham will probably never recover; once things open up we'll probably take the trip to Derby from now on simply because there is virtually nothing left in Nottingham. Notts used to be a poor city with a great city centre. Now it's just another poor city of little worth. That's the consequences of the UK response to COVID, alongside the 30,000 deaths in January alone

You forgot to add waste and financial irresponsibility, although destructive is a catch all. But also the backlog to normal systems, barely sign of them even acknowledging the issues, let alone getting a grip. They are probably furthest forward in education and its a total mess there.

Seeems many many councils etc , even over here are looking at what on earth do we do with town centres and mals. Because they have been in decline for years, before the pandemic.
Cant say I care as Im not into Starbucks and Armani and every single town centre in Europe kinda looks the same which is shit.

Business rates are also just another big theft, and landlords are a protected species. Need to get on top of both of those things

There will be a market correction imo

This says that the difference between us and Germany (a target of much derision on here) is only the difference between June 10th and July 7th! 4 weeks? Not bad going by the Germans seeing as we were able to start the process a few weeks before them.
Fwiw, I don't trust these dates much, and certainly not the financial calculation.

Remember, too, that these dates are for the first jab only. The EU nations are likely to have fully vaccinated a much greater proportion of their populations by those dates.

If the dates estimated by that group and published in the Times are to be believed (pinch of salt), the German roll out is arguably just as good if not better than ours. [Not sure if that's what the Times wanted to show.]

Our vaccination programme began on 8th Dec; theirs on 27th. 19 days later.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55227325
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55456795

They are expected to have given one dose to all adults 27 days later than us. Slower by one week.

However, the difference in policy means we have fully vaccinated just 2.1% of our population while they have fully vaccinated 3.3% of theirs. More than 50% more than us. That discrepancy is likely to remain as we move into June and July and it will take a lot longer than a week to make up the difference.

Of course, a week or two here and there may not count for anything at all while there are vast reservoirs of virus evolving in nations like Brazil. Fuck Bolsanaro and everyone like him.

If you halve the number of people each infected person passes it on to, you halve the reproduction rate, R. Keeping R below 1 is critical because you then get exponential decline, rather than exponential growth.
Of course, I suppose I dont necassarily think it does halve it and maybe that would come back to how much interaction each pocket had. If you work in a busy nighclub bar with only 5 people spreading it instead of 10 then seems everyone that can get infected will still get infected. Yes, the R rate might well be lower but people are still dying. Clearly we can read some of these stats in different ways and we still dont know enough about reinfection etc etc to know if it will ever decline enough to me minor

Of course, I suppose I dont necassarily think it does halve it and maybe that would come back to how much interaction each pocket had. If you work in a busy nighclub bar with only 5 people spreading it instead of 10 then seems everyone that can get infected will still get infected. Yes, the R rate might well be lower but people are still dying. Clearly we can read some of these stats in different ways and we still dont know enough about reinfection etc etc to know if it will ever decline enough to me minor
You are correct that clustering makes a difference but, ultimately, you are trying to make a point that says vaccination doesn't make a difference.

Blood clots in A/Z recipients per 100,000 is exactly the same as in Pfizer and in population as a whole, so why are various EU countries taking such a stance. Of course it alters their role out very little as all European countries including ourselves are having to take a dip in deliveries of vaccines at times in March. Is it political? This just feeds the anti-Vaxers and low take up.

This just feeds the anti-Vaxers and low take up.

This is the key point. I can’t remember who said it but someone said, “everyone should have the vaccine then we can argue about whether this is all a Bill gates conspiracy or a man made virus in the pub.”

This is the key point. I can’t remember who said it but someone said, “everyone should have the vaccine then we can argue about whether this is all a Bill gates conspiracy or a man made virus in the pub.”

Marvin Hagler can't; RIP

It's hard to talk about anti vaxers when a global leading authority thinks mass vaccinations are a mistake. Fwiw the guy thinks the vaccines are great and great for the vulnerable but doesnt agree with lockdown or vaccination for younger people.

Makes the debate more complicated when the scientists dont agree.