#COVID19 | Page 822 | Vital Football

#COVID19

Oh, ok.

So he ignored all constitutional convention and, by the ruling of the court, effectively broke the law (and lied to the head of state). But because he didn't lock up the judges that upheld those rules, he's all ok?

I suppose Putin is a decent guy as well? He may have arrested his political opponent, but Stalin would have had him shot immediately; so Putin is now a democrat, yes?

Did it not need a court ruling to decide if it was illegal or not ? One court actually ruled that it wasn't subject to judicial review. At least he was attempting to implement something decided in a democratic referendum. Comparing him with a dictator is ridiculous. Look what happens to people in Russia/ China who disagree with the government. Of course he has since won a democratic election as well, but people still call him a dictator.

Did it not need a court ruling to decide if it was illegal or not ? One court actually ruled that it wasn't subject to judicial review. At least he was attempting to implement something decided in a democratic referendum. Comparing him with a dictator is ridiculous. Look what happens to people in Russia/ China who disagree with the government. Of course he has since won a democratic election as well, but people still call him a dictator.
No they just call him a dick...

The comparison was made by the original poster.

His prorogation was not to implement the result of the referendum. That is utterly disingenuous. The result of the referendum was not seriously in doubt

It was to try to implement a no deal Brexit, or to have the flexibility to pretend he was going to, which he saw as the route to an election victory. There was absolutely no other need to do it; he wanted to avoid scrutiny from the people who had been elected by the people to do exactly that. He has attempted to avoid scrutiny wherever he can

You are defending the indefensible in the name of partisanship. You would have my respect for simply accepting that it was unacceptable, even if you admit you still support him regardless.

Keir Starmer is banging on about teachers getting vaccinated in February half term. I am not so partisan that I can't roll my eyes and say that he is talking absolute twaddle.

Just to be clear 50% is under the acceptance level for a vaccine to be considered effective.

There also is no data showing how effective the Oxford vaccine is or isn't.

There are many factors as to why we are among the top death toll, all of which need considering. Shouting it's all government's fault, although fun and politically good capital, is in danger of glossing over the many 'reasons'
Obesity, vitamin D, Care homes, the way all nations collect data, transport hub, middle class ski holiday makers, High Asian population, etc., etc.

There is no single tangible reason why the England, Spain, France, Belgium, Italy, Scotland have very similar rates which are among the highest on the planet so shouting it's all government will not deliver answers that we can hopefully learn from in preparation for next time, and there will be a next time.

The Government are guilty of locking down too late and PHE made the calamitous decision of sending folks back to care homes from hospital with terrible consequences.

There are, and to answer your question, absolute tangible benefits of getting the vaccine roll out 'pretty good' as this is quantifiable and comparable in equitable ways. And I believe, as was said by Wilson 'A week is a long time in politics'.

Lets not forget they were not late locking down just the once were they? So when they say lessons will be learned, i wouldnt hold your breath.

That fraudsters would target the furlough scheme was obvious and to lose 25b, not even million but billions- almost two years EU subs in strett language is a very costly disgrace.

All of the factors you mention made it more difficult to manage but boris has been abject. You fail to mention the advantages boris has such as world class research that started work weeks before asked and multi national manufacturing capabilities. According to u tho handjob is mixing in his bath and the govt deserve all the credit. I credit them for getting out of the way and letting the adults at the nhs/oxford/AZ help to dig us out of this terrible series of lockdowns.

The EU make a mistake and you crank up the megaphone. There are over 100000 dead people who cant hear you, many of them who need not have died. So please fuck off with your apologist BS and take toms jb etc with u

Aren't you a ray of sunshine?

Blind optimism rather than cold hard facts have lead us into this scenario.

A paper has just been published showing the SA variant evades monoclonal vaccines, and that is the Oxford vaccine.

Far more effective vaccines (that aren't Monoclonal) drop from 95% to 60%. So for the Oxford vaccine to drop from 60% to 50% is extremely unlikely.

She's basically guessing and pulling out of her arse an overall number based on those who have tested v the SA variant which does not include Oxford.

We have cases now being transmitted within the community, not just those we know who travelled from SA. We should be concerned.

If Oxford releases data showing they only lose 10% efficacy I'll be delighted. So far they've not released any data about the UK strain, let alone the SA one.

To put that into context Modena (much better vaccine than Oxford) says the SA variant reduces effectiveness SIX fold after 2 doses and recommends 3 doses to try to counter that while they attempt to modify their vaccine.

A paper has just been published showing the SA variant evades monoclonal vaccines, and that is the Oxford vaccine.

Far more effective vaccines (that aren't Monoclonal) drop from 95% to 60%. So for the Oxford vaccine to drop from 60% to 50% is extremely unlikely.

She's basically guessing and pulling out of her arse an overall number based on those who have tested v the SA variant which does not include Oxford.

We have cases now being transmitted within the community, not just those we know who travelled from SA. We should be concerned.

If Oxford releases data showing they only lose 10% efficacy I'll be delighted. So far they've not released any data about the UK strain, let alone the SA one.

To put that into context Modena (much better vaccine than Oxford) says the SA variant reduces effectiveness SIX fold after 2 doses and recommends 3 doses to try to counter that while they attempt to modify their vaccine.
Our strategy is to risk and go all in on the first viable vaccine. It could well work but its risky.

In fairness, you are equally pulling numbers out of thin air, even if you are doing so with some common sense.

But since when did common sense have much to do with this pandemic?

Apparently schools are magically resistant to transmission of the virus, despite representing exactly the scenario in which the virus likes to spread. And no one seeks to question that.

These vaccines will be able to be tweaked fairly quickly. I don't know the stats for which vaccine has been preferred, but I suspect that the majority of doses given so far have been Pfizer; my assumption is that the AZ vaccine is primarily slated for us non-boomer plebs whenever/ if ever they get round to us. I know there has been a mix, but with AZ approved later I would bet Pfizer has been used more.

The other thing is that I'm not sure how much of a biological advantage SA has. It does not appear more transmissible than Kent. Kent has largely destroyed the original virus in this country by superseding it due to its inbuilt transmission advantage. SA doesn't have such a huge evolutionary advantage to make it dominant. It could potentially have some co-dominance, but if it's competing with Kent then it doesn't sound like it has the tools to make a huge dint in its dominance.

I'm not a virologist (and neither are you) so I apologise if I'm way off base, but that is my layman understanding

I know the vaccine is going incredibly well but now we’ve passed 100k are we the worst affected in Europe again? I know we’ve left Europe & they’ve made a mess of vaccines but I just need to know if we should celebrate German, French or Italian deaths?

Maybe we should wait for the butchers next press conference where he accepts responsibility for all the deaths