#COVID19 | Page 722 | Vital Football

#COVID19

Pope 100% is one of those teachers who values nice handwriting and hanging on his every word rather than challenging him types...
What do you mean "challenging him"? I teach a subject where there is literally no right answer.

At A Level it can be booked down to:

This is what we know happened
This is what this historian thinks
This is what that historian thinks
Here's what I think
What do you think?

Right, let's write about number 1, 2, 3 and 5 really well.

Literally my subject in a nutshell, with lots of great storytelling, some fun facts etc

Had to send an email to year 13 for the second year running to explain to them that, yes, their exams are cancelled and, no, I don't know what happens next, but it'll be fine and let us worry about it.

God knows what they will come up with.

Had to send an email to year 13 for the second year running to explain to them that, yes, their exams are cancelled and, no, I don't know what happens next, but it'll be fine and let us worry about it.

God knows what they will come up with.
What would be your suggestion Pope?

What would be your suggestion Pope?
Hard to answer because I'm not privy to the capacity at Ofqual. The problem with doing any kind of external exam or moderated exam would be actually getting the markers and moderators. I doubt they have much of a hope of doing so this year.

The easiest thing to do would be to just let us decide again. But I don't want that, because that is putting far too much legal liability onto teachers. Last year it was different, because we knew there would be an algorithm process which kept us in check from going too wild. The fundamental part of being a teacher is that you want to do everything you can to get your kids to do well, so your inclination is always against dropping any grades off any student. I would always want to give them what they need for UCAS.

But we can't give them all As. But every student we don't give too grades too is going to point to another student we have done so for and complain they have been treated differently. It's nigh on impossible to be completely fair.

I could see each exam board setting maybe 6-10 pieces of work from across each course that has to be completed and marked by the teacher. For my subject that would just be 6-10 essay questions, or a mix of essays and source questions. They could set a word limit for each one, I mark them all and give a an grade point average kind of thing. Ofqual could call certain samples from certain schools to check them and keep us on our toes. They could potentially ask us to use past essays/work as well.

Yeah we'll game it and train them as much as we can because we want them to get their first choice university place, but you could do it that way.

In science and maths it could easily be shorter set topic tests on topics across the curriculum.

They would have to get their act in gear soon though.

What I certainly don't want is them to just abandon these kids and effectively tell them their college life is over. I've told them they are all still on their full timetable.

We urgently need real leadership from government to tell these students that if they are are still learning and if they are still going to have some assessment, or we'll all lose them.
Year 11 is even worse. If their GCSEs are cancelled and replaced by nothing, what do we teach them for the next six months? Manners?

Jingoistic? I'm not an extreme patriot, I have pride in our country and I'm not about to pretend I don't.

I find it sad that citizens of the UK cannot bring themselves to acknowledge successes made by their own country, because of a deep-set, dogmatic, tribalistic political viewpoint.

A better response to the fact about the speed of the UKs procurement and rollout would have been something along the lines of, 'Yes we should all be happy that we have majored in this aspect of the Pandemic', rather than brushing any praise off as jingoism.

Many on here were (rightly) frothing at the mouths in March last year, talking down the government's response to this, lavishing some praise when it is due, ergo is the correct thing to do, even if it is through gritted teeth.

Patriotism - feeling proud of things you didn't do so you can look down on people you've never met. The last refuge of the twat and the source of much that is wrong with the world.

Hard to answer because I'm not privy to the capacity at Ofqual. The problem with doing any kind of external exam or moderated exam would be actually getting the markers and moderators. I doubt they have much of a hope of doing so this year.

The easiest thing to do would be to just let us decide again. But I don't want that, because that is putting far too much legal liability onto teachers. Last year it was different, because we knew there would be an algorithm process which kept us in check from going too wild. The fundamental part of being a teacher is that you want to do everything you can to get your kids to do well, so your inclination is always against dropping any grades off any student. I would always want to give them what they need for UCAS.

But we can't give them all As. But every student we don't give too grades too is going to point to another student we have done so for and complain they have been treated differently. It's nigh on impossible to be completely fair.

I could see each exam board setting maybe 6-10 pieces of work from across each course that has to be completed and marked by the teacher. For my subject that would just be 6-10 essay questions, or a mix of essays and source questions. They could set a word limit for each one, I mark them all and give a an grade point average kind of thing. Ofqual could call certain samples from certain schools to check them and keep us on our toes. They could potentially ask us to use past essays/work as well.

Yeah we'll game it and train them as much as we can because we want them to get their first choice university place, but you could do it that way.

In science and maths it could easily be shorter set topic tests on topics across the curriculum.

They would have to get their act in gear soon though.

What I certainly don't want is them to just abandon these kids and effectively tell them their college life is over. I've told them they are all still on their full timetable.

We urgently need real leadership from government to tell these students that if they are are still learning and if they are still going to have some assessment, or we'll all lose them.
Year 11 is even worse. If their GCSEs are cancelled and replaced by nothing, what do we teach them for the next six months? Manners?
Send them all to university!
Don't worry, we're back pedalling with our eyes closed and an over-sized catching mitt.

In other world news, Trump encouraged his supporters to gather in Washington and surround the Capitol where senators are meeting to certify the election results.

Some of them have forced their way into the building, so the American government are locked in a room to protect them from a baying mob.

His slogan should be MANGA - Make American Nazis go ape. Lock him up!

In other world news, Trump encouraged his supporters to gather in Washington and surround the Capitol where senators are meeting to certify the election results.

Some of them have forced their way into the building, so the American government are locked in a room to protect them from a baying mob.

His slogan should be MANGA - Make American Nazis go ape. Lock him up!
Blue lives not mattering so much to them today.

What do you mean "challenging him"? I teach a subject where there is literally no right answer.

At A Level it can be booked down to:

This is what we know happened
This is what this historian thinks
This is what that historian thinks
Here's what I think
What do you think?

Right, let's write about number 1, 2, 3 and 5 really well.

Literally my subject in a nutshell, with lots of great storytelling, some fun facts etc

I was teasing but I'm pretty sure my grades would have been worse with teacher assessment. For maths I was made to sit in the corridor for the whole of year 11 with a text book and left to my own devices.

Starts to sound even worse.

https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1 ... 9560323084

Former DC Police Chief Charles Ramsey: "What I'd want the president to do is shut the hell up and get out of the way. He's like a cancer."

"This is as close to a coup attempt as this country has ever seen."

Tweet by Aaron C Davis (reporter Washington Post)
BREAKING: A source tells me The Defense Department has just denied a request by DC officials to deploy the National Guard to the US Capitol.

The defense department is currently led by acting secretary Christopher Miller, who was appointed in November, after Donald Trump abruptly fired Mark Esper.
The situation at the Capitol has made it clear that the US Capitol Police need more assistance, and those watching the situation are starting to why help hasn’t arrived.

Tweet by Abby D. Phillip
Capitol Police clearly need more help in an incredibly dangerous situation. Where is it??

Scary stuff.

Starts to sound even worse.

https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1 ... 9560323084

Former DC Police Chief Charles Ramsey: "What I'd want the president to do is shut the hell up and get out of the way. He's like a cancer."

"This is as close to a coup attempt as this country has ever seen."

Tweet by Aaron C Davis (reporter Washington Post)
BREAKING: A source tells me The Defense Department has just denied a request by DC officials to deploy the National Guard to the US Capitol.

The defense department is currently led by acting secretary Christopher Miller, who was appointed in November, after Donald Trump abruptly fired Mark Esper.
The situation at the Capitol has made it clear that the US Capitol Police need more assistance, and those watching the situation are starting to why help hasn’t arrived.

Tweet by Abby D. Phillip
Capitol Police clearly need more help in an incredibly dangerous situation. Where is it??

Scary stuff.

The Governor is calling in the National Guard

I was teasing but I'm pretty sure my grades would have been worse with teacher assessment. For maths I was made to sit in the corridor for the whole of year 11 with a text book and left to my own devices.
Lots of students make massive progress in the last three months. They pull out the stops, they pull it all together and it becomes an upcycle- the more they learn, the more they understand other stuff.

Obviously, teacher assessment over time depresses that and rewards consistency over time.

Who is to say what is right or wrong?

Lots of students make massive progress in the last three months. They pull out the stops, they pull it all together and it becomes an upcycle- the more they learn, the more they understand other stuff.

Obviously, teacher assessment over time depresses that and rewards consistency over time.

Who is to say what is right or wrong?

Just be nice to the smart Alec, slightly disruptive kid who is clearly bored!