#COVID19 | Page 682 | Vital Football

#COVID19

If the objective is to buy time to get the NHS ready and learn more about the virus and treating the illness then that means they work.

That’s only true if you aren’t sacrificing the entire economy, jobs and peoples livelihoods but I forgot they aren’t important.

I don't know how you read what i wrote and interpreted it to mean that i don't think livelihoods are important.

Not suggesting you don’t. You said if it gives the NHS time to learn about the virus then a lockdown works and I’m saying given the consequences that’s having on the economy and that we’re now 10 months and 3 lockdowns later, then it isn’t/hasn’t worked.

Both doses?

Nothing is more important than getting this out there and getting the infrastructure to work.

Its not just about lives, it's about society.

The wealth and culture gap between young and old has become a chasm. That isn't helped by young people making sacrifices not seen since the war (and giving up freedoms that no government in our history has ever taken) to save the elderly. And they have done it.

If we are to come out of his cohesively then we need to a) make sure that the elderly pay their fair share of the costs of this, starting with that triple lock and b) the gap between the elderly and young getting protected from this is not shockingly big, to the point where the young once again feel that they do not matter.
No only the 1st jab, will get another text for the 2nd jab in about 2 - 3 weeks time, all being coordinated by the HM Forces at my local leisure centre.

My GP informed me that they cannot do the jabs as their computer system cannot operate correctly under their current OS.

BTW after a lifetime of paying taxes my personal feeling is that I have paid my fair share of benefits that I am now getting as a senior citizen. Just my opinion of course.

No only the 1st jab, will get another text for the 2nd jab in about 2 - 3 weeks time, all being coordinated by the HM Forces at my local leisure centre.

My GP informed me that they cannot do the jabs as their computer system cannot operate correctly under their current OS.

BTW after a lifetime of paying taxes my personal feeling is that I have paid my fair share of benefits that I am now getting as a senior citizen. Just my opinion of course.
Oh, I see.

But the thing is, you were paying for services that you had access to. You weren't putting money into a finite pot. You were paying taxes for services that you would have access to for that entire time.

It's a bit like someone telling Sky that, after 40 years as a customer they've paid their fair share to their corporation so expect to get Sky sports for free from now on.

You haven't paid your fair share and you haven't done anything extraordinary. You have paid for services that you could, and probably did, use.

What you have not paid for is the economic cost of the unprecedented national protection your generation has enjoyed, along with the social cost of the effect it has had on the young.

That bill is still due and I don't expect your generation to try to wriggle out of it

Last edited:
Oh, I see.

But the thing is, you were paying for services that you had access to. You weren't putting money into a finite pot. You were paying taxes for services that you would have access to for that entire time.

It's a bit like someone telling Sky that, after 40 years as a customer they've paid their fair share to their corporation so expect to get Sky sports for free from now on.

You haven't paid your fair share and you haven't done anything extraordinary. You have paid for services that you could, and probably did, use.

What you have not paid for is the economic cost of the unprecedented national protection your generation has enjoyed, along with the social cost of the effect of has had on the young.

That bill is still due and I don't expect your generation to try to wriggle out of it
social cost of the effect of has had on the young?

Oh, I see.

What you have not paid for is the economic cost of the unprecedented national protection your generation has enjoyed, along with the social cost of the effect it has had on the young.

“ Our generation trying to wriggle out of”

give me a break, I have paid tens of thousands in taxes and never claimed benefits. My children were privately educated I had private healthcare so what were my taxes used for? The magic money tree?

give me a break, I have paid tens of thousands in taxes and never claimed benefits. My children were privately educated I had private healthcare so what were my taxes used for? The magic money tree?
Irrelevant.

You had access to every service that those taxes provided. Your choice whether to use them or not. If you disagree with having to pay taxes for services you don't use, vote for a different government or move to America. You don't have any other choices here.

The devastating economic consequences of these lockdowns have primarily been to protect your generation. Are you saying that you don't think your generation should have to make it's fair contribution? Are you really that entitled? Not very patriotic is it?

Irrelevant.

You had access to every service that those taxes provided. Your choice whether to use them or not. If you disagree with having to pay taxes for services you don't use, vote for a different government or move to America. You don't have any other choices here.

The devastating economic consequences of these lockdowns have primarily been to protect your generation. Are you saying that you don't think your generation should have to make it's fair contribution? Are you really that entitled? Not very patriotic is it?

Pope, you're a bit heavy there. Had you been there at the time you would have understood correctly that the taxes you paid at that time covered all sorts of stuff, including old age pension, hospitals, and other necessary stuff.
And your final comment regarding lockdowns is poor, not worthy of you.

16bn went towards Crossrail
14bn is being set aside for the Third Runway at Heathrow
5bn spent on the Eurostar terminals and upgrading the track
4bn set aside for the refurbishment of Parliament

I too have paid tens of thousands in taxes and get no benefit from any of those London centric projects.

And do not for one minute think that Private Health and Private Education do not benefit from taxation funding; Private Health Companies, most of whom are unprofitable, have benefited from Tax payers hand outs to the tune of 1.6bn this year alone

A good number of Private Education establishments register for charitable status; not because they are Charities but because they can claim the substantial Tax benefits

16bn went towards Crossrail
14bn is being set aside for the Third Runway at Heathrow
5bn spent on the Eurostar terminals and upgrading the track
4bn set aside for the refurbishment of Parliament

I too have paid tens of thousands in taxes and get no benefit from any of those London centric projects.

And do not for one minute think that Private Health and Private Education do not benefit from taxation funding; Private Health Companies, most of whom are unprofitable, have benefited from Tax payers hand outs to the tune of 1.6bn this year alone

A good number of Private Education establishments register for charitable status; not because they are Charities but because they can claim the substantial Tax benefits

Hang on. You should be honoured to fund the most magnificent city on the planet. While you're living in your northern hovel your heart can be warmed in the knowledge that you've contributed towards the one true shining beacon in this country.

Pope, you're a bit heavy there. Had you been there at the time you would have understood correctly that the taxes you paid at that time covered all sorts of stuff, including old age pension, hospitals, and other necessary stuff.
And your final comment regarding lockdowns is poor, not worthy of you.
Utterly irrelevant. In fact, you are agreeing with my point there

Hang on. You should be honoured to fund the most magnificent city on the planet. While you're living in your northern hovel your heart can be warmed in the knowledge that you've contributed towards the one true shining beacon in this country.

Yes, quite.

The best use of tax payers money I can think of was the building of the M40

If the triple lock remains I’m fucking rioting

In theory I’m going to have to work till I’m 75 the boomers that voted for this shit show need to pay for it. They always drone on about how spoilt everyone is now & how they managed on nothing.

No I'm not. Just the reverse.

That may not be your intention but

Had you been there at the time you would have understood correctly that the taxes you paid at that time covered all sorts of stuff, including old age pension, hospitals, and other necessary stuff.

Is exactly what I replied to Poacher. Your historic taxes paid for things you and your generations used, whether you personally used them or not. They were not a finite obligation that could be paid off.

Nor have the lifetime taxes each member of the older generations paid covered the cost of COVID.

I'm happy to maintain the triple lock for anyone over the age of 93 (the minimum age someone would have to be to have been old enough to fight in 1945) or to anyone who can prove they fought in WWII.

But that triple lock is immoral now for everyone below that age and is the minimum price the over 60s have to pay

Oh, I see.

Its a bit like insurance, you/we take out insurance against future mishaps. If the unthinkable happens then you are covered by your policy in this case your taxes which has been paid in full to the government.

I still stand by my post that states as I am a pensioner I am entitled to enjoy the benefits of my retirement.

60 years of working hard= 60 years of paying taxes which have gone up over the years by my rough calculations result in me paying taxes of100k over 60 years of work. Think about that, so for all you young 'uns who are winging about us pensioners you haven't lived yet so get off your high pedestal and try to put your views over us pensioners in more constructive manner.
We have done our bit now do yours. Thanks.