#COVID19 | Page 145 | Vital Football

#COVID19

But the economist that keeps your dreams interesting is probably still only as famous as Bjorn Lomborg.
Far less famous using Twitter as a measure.

Bjorn Lomborg
@BjornLomborg
Author of 'Cool It' and 'Skeptical Environmentalist', director of the Copenhagen Consensus think tank
Praguelomborg.comJoined December 2009
126 Following
64.9K Followers

Nicholas Stern
@lordstern1
President of the British Academy, Professor of Economics and Government & Chair of the Grantham Research Institute on Climate Change and the Environment at LSE
London, EnglandJoined July 2016
12 Following
5,656 Followers

Oh dear....
Maybe he should be doing more to put across his point more effectively?

I will give that a watch Will, ta. Also on Netflix is a programme called Tiger King. Watch it, the people on it make Trump look sane. It’s mental. A slow starter but bear with it.

yeah watched the first few, oddball city!! Did she kill her husband though?

Far less famous using Twitter as a measure.

Bjorn Lomborg
@BjornLomborg
Author of 'Cool It' and 'Skeptical Environmentalist', director of the Copenhagen Consensus think tank
Praguelomborg.comJoined December 2009
126 Following
64.9K Followers

Nicholas Stern
@lordstern1
President of the British Academy, Professor of Economics and Government & Chair of the Grantham Research Institute on Climate Change and the Environment at LSE
London, EnglandJoined July 2016
12 Following
5,656 Followers

Oh dear....
Maybe he should be doing more to put across his point more effectively?

Twitter is your measure? Ok lol

Stern informed government policy and thought for a decade which largely shaped EU policy.

Twitter is your measure? Ok lol

Stern informed government policy and thought for a decade which largely shaped EU policy.
[Damn, forgot my fishing rod emoji.]

So he's only neglecting public opinion then. What if the governments don't listen. Are they doing enough? Will they ever do enough if the populus isn't on board? Who is making better inroads with The People?

That wasn't the thrust of my argument. I'm not arguing for power to intervene, I'm asking science to tell truth to power in such a way that folk listen. Maybe the task is impossible but their attempts are largely mediocre and fear driven.
They can't tell truth to power, the best they can do is print out falsity to power. Power can use or misuse science unfortunately they also wield power within scientific research in terms of funding and ( in some cases) via appointing their own. Don't blame science blame idiots.

I also don't get the "fear driven" motif.
I didn't address it before. Are you meaning fear of speaking truth to power? Because if it were fear of the pandemic then they would have raised the status from Low to Deadly much sooner.

I'm simply frustrated that science and government appear to be further apart than ever. It's fine to blame those not listening, but we can't control their actions. We can however examine if we are communicating as effectively as possible to them?

Another thing about popularists is that jump where the votes are. If there was a movement that built momentum then popularists would jump on board. I'd like that to be speared by science.

And yet I know scientists who voted Lib Dem rather than green...

They can't tell truth to power, the best they can do is print out falsity to power. Power can use or misuse science unfortunately they also wield power within scientific research in terms of funding and ( in some cases) via appointing their own. Don't blame science blame idiots.

As above I think that's a cop out. I think science has a responsibility to do more than show a pretty graph and then later on say I told you so.

Thankfully that shouldn't be the case.

It's true that the recorded figures are hospital only and don't include deaths in the community.

But recent ONS (I think, but could be NHS, I can't remember) analysis reckons 93% of deaths are happening in hospital

From the government briefing today "Even after the number of people in critical care stabilises or even begins to fall, the number of deaths will continue to rise because of long reporting lags. The number is expected to keep rising even after the curve has flattened."

As above I think that's a cop out. I think science has a responsibility to do more than show a pretty graph and then later on say I told you so.
Science is not an independent entity, it does not have a brain or an elected spokesperson and there is no "Science Pope" science is a methodology. Individual scientists have opinions but by voicing the they can risk screwing up the methodology. ( Confirmation bias)

I'm simply frustrated that science and government appear to be further apart than ever. It's fine to blame those not listening, but we can't control their actions. We can however examine if we are communicating as effectively as possible to them?

Another thing about popularists is that jump where the votes are. If there was a movement that built momentum then popularists would jump on board. I'd like that to be speared by science.

And yet I know scientists who voted Lib Dem rather than green...
Since the populists follow the people, it is, perhaps the people that need convincing. You should slip into Lord Stern's DMs* to see if he can reach out to the people more.

* Please could a young person clarify if I have used this term correctly?

Since the populists follow the people, it is, perhaps the people that need convincing. You should slip into Lord Stern's DMs* to see if he can reach out to the people more.

* Please could a young person clarify if I have used this term correctly?

I can clarify that, duck :grinning: (although I think I'd have used the word 'verify')

Not to cheapen your post Da Fuq and going way off subject, but can people remember when this was in Radford. What great Sunday afternoons in there!

Not to cheapen your post Da Fuq and going way off subject, but can people remember when this was in Radford. What great Sunday afternoons in there!

Erm I was too young to go in but somehow managed to get in on a few occasions with my mates dads

We would then go to the Pheasant Inn afterwards to meet up with my mates dads wives

Different time

Think it had closed before I turned 18 and we had moved away from Radford at that point for a few years

I can clarify that, duck :grinning: (although I think I'd have used the word 'verify')
Thank you kindly.

I suppose it depends if I wanted to be clear in how the phrase should be used or know whether my usage was correct/truthful. It's nice to have both.

Science is not an independent entity, it does not have a brain or an elected spokesperson and there is no "Science Pope" science is a methodology. Individual scientists have opinions but by voicing the they can risk screwing up the methodology. ( Confirmation bias)

There is clear scientific consensus on climate change and personally I salute the Brazilian scientists for instance who have ran for office in the wake of the current government denying there is any sort of crisis.

By being active voices in the community science can raise awareness within the public and political arena which impacts perception and policy making.

Abstract ivory towers aren't much use.

Very admirable. The flip side is that they are being taken away from their talent for discovery and having to court public opinion to run against a fascist. This is a last resort. Society doesn't have to be this way.

There is clear scientific consensus on climate change and personally I salute the Brazilian scientists for instance who have ran for office in the wake of the current government denying there is any sort of crisis.

By being active voices in the community science can raise awareness within the public and political arena which impacts perception and policy making.

Abstract ivory towers aren't much use.
Ok you don't know what you are talking about so I'm not interested in any further discussion on the matter.

Ok you don't know what you are talking about so I'm not interested in any further discussion on the matter.

I've quoted part from an article on Nature from an actual scientist. So that's rather embarrassing for you who clearly has no clue whatsoever. Run along back to the likes of Trump who believes in keeping science in the corner.