#COVID19 | Page 894 | Vital Football

#COVID19

Good job. As those nice people in Brussels have blocked 250,000 doses of the A/Z vaccine being exported as contracted to Australia. So much for their arguments of three weeks ago. Hypocritical liars.

Yes I've just heard that confirmed over here, it sounds as though Italy stopped it first and then confirmed by the EU. Doesn't say much for either of them, this was a firm contract and to make it worse I think that this shipment would have included a jab for yours truly.

I agree about the NHS pay rise.

Take my Mrs, on a Band 8c, gold plated pension and been working from home for 11 months, she definitely needs a pay rise more than that pez who empties the bins.

Last edited:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-56279202

The Italian government has blocked the export of an Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine shipment to Australia.
The decision affects 250,000 doses of the vaccine produced at an AstraZeneca facility in Italy.
Italy is the first EU country to use the bloc's new regulations allowing exports to be stopped if the company providing the vaccines has failed to meet its obligations to the EU.
Australia said losing "one shipment" would not badly affect its rollout.
But it has asked the European Commission, which reportedly backs Italy's move, to review the decision.
AstraZeneca is on track to provide only 40% of the agreed supply to member states in the first three months of the year. It has cited production problems for the shortfall.

Solving this problem is a worldwide issue.... This rule of keeping the vaccine to themselves is counter productive.

Solving this problem is a worldwide issue.... This rule of keeping the vaccine to themselves is counter productive.

We are lucky in Oz in that we are manufacturing the AZ vaccine in Melbourne and will be getting local supplies in a couple of weeks. That does not excuse Italy and the EU though, if you lived in the middle of Africa or South America it would be a very different kettle of fish.

We are lucky in Oz in that we are manufacturing the AZ vaccine in Melbourne and will be getting local supplies in a couple of weeks. That does not excuse Italy and the EU though, if you lived in the middle of Africa or South America it would be a very different kettle of fish.

It's the EU fella, they make the Mafia look amateurs at protection rackets.
This is an underline of why we are better out.

I bought a fish kettle large enough for a whole salmon.
Used it once and was underwhelmed, haven't used it since.

True story that.

It is not just Australia. Despite most of manufacturing facilities being in Europe, the EU has failed to set contracts early enough to allow for production, rubbished findings, under mined the validity and reliability of product, failed to distribute effectively by allowing over a million to sit unused for over two weeks and then has stopped all exports to any other country. Protectionist and vindictive.

I agree about "keeping it to yourself" being wrong.

However, if you follow this argument through, you can say that Italy's need is far greater than Australia's right now and prioritisation decisions should take that into account. That's from the global health perspective.

Australia has six new cases per day.
Italy has 22,845 new cases per day.

Hard to argue from a local or global perspective that people would be safer if these vaccines were shipped to Australia. In terms of both deaths of individuals and also the likelihood of new variants, Italy is the disaster zone and should be prioritised over Australia.
Hypothetically, if there were a global government, that's the decision they would have to take.

I agree about "keeping it to yourself" being wrong.

However, if you follow this argument through, you can say that Italy's need is far greater than Australia's right now and prioritisation decisions should take that into account. That's from the global health perspective.

Australia has six new cases per day.
Italy has 22,845 new cases per day.

Hard to argue from a local or global perspective that people would be safer if these vaccines were shipped to Australia. In terms of both deaths of individuals and also the likelihood of new variants, Italy is the disaster zone and should be prioritised over Australia.
Hypothetically, if there were a global government, that's the decision they would have to take.
Actually I agree, I was being a little bit tongue in cheek.
Hopefully this kind of decision is being made on a case by case basis rather than the EU keeping as much as they can at all costs.

Actually I agree, I was being a little bit tongue in cheek.
Hopefully this kind of decision is being made on a case by case basis rather than the EU keeping as much as they can at all costs.
Since Australia has only six new cases per day. I reckon I could run their track and trace system on my own, so long as Strett brought me a cup of tea every now and then.

Am i the only one celebrating the end of home schooling? Radz jnr has done well and its beer o'clock. Take the rest of the afternoon off chaps