#COVID19 | Page 746 | Vital Football

#COVID19

By my calculations nearly 280k people were jabbed yesterday. At that rate circa 12 million people should have been vaccinated by 15th Feb.Another boost needed to reach the target by then, but hopefully a lot more will be achieved.

Interesting on Question Time last night that they said Scotland was going more slowly as they were concentrating on Care Homes. Shows that it's important to vaccinate the right people, rather than the easier people who could simply drive to a mass vacc centre.

Think the above figures from NHS England are probably just England and Wales. Government site says 316k first doses yesterday.

I think many of you are confused by mutations. So far something in the region of 2,400 covid mutations have been identified. None are likely to nullify the vaccine.
Apparently the latest one which originated in Japan and has resulted in us quarantining 15 South American countries plus Portugal and Panama is antibody resistant and certainly the initial fear is that the vaccine will be ineffective against it.

Apparently the latest one which originated in Japan and has resulted in us quarantining 15 South American countries plus Portugal and Panama is antibody resistant and certainly the initial fear is that the vaccine will be ineffective against it.
There are 8 mutations on the spike protein of the UK variant and 10 in the Brazil variant. Neither should be catastrophic. Data coming all the time. Will have to wait and see.

This is a technical read.

There are 8 mutations on the spike protein of the UK variant and 10 in the Brazil variant. Neither should be catastrophic. Data coming all the time. Will have to wait and see.

This is a technical read.
They don’t have to be catastrophic just sufficiently mutated and resistant to current antibodies.

If we are lucky this latest one will fizzle out in the face of the vaccine but I wouldn’t want to bet my life on it.

Its still hard to comprehend whats happened, Uk has been shouting for years about how great it will be to be free, yet as a smallish island it had a better chance of containing it than much of the world. Stop people leaving and arriving is just a basic, yet even now im like "they are stopping flights to/from there now?? I thought they were stopped 9 months ago"

This is and has always been the biggest problem with politics - it’s pure tribalism created by ourselves in the shape of ‘Conservative or Labour’.

People lose their own personal ideologies as they feel this desperate need to defend all policies advocated by ‘their’ political party - hell I’m guilty of it, as are most on this forum and across most of the UK.

The idea that you might generally be left or right leaning but appreciate/agree with the opposition on a certain policy isn’t seen as being objective or a solution to getting the best out of the system or holding those in charge to account, but instead a sacrifice to allow you to argue for your party to the death.

Perhaps I’m being exceptionally hypocritical in light of what I’ve just written, but you only have to hear the constant Jeremy Corbyn arguments/slander if you voted for a right wing government to see why we have such divide in this country. People are willing to overlook the failings of their party or leader or take you with some evil brush because of the sheer hatred for the opposition. The loyal voters of Boris Johnson and the conservatives are the same and it’s perhaps not occurred to me until this pandemic.

It’ll never happen, but the best thing for this country would probably be a strong multi party system that don’t represent historical ideologies or come with a form of baggage and that don’t force people into feeling the need to back their entire manifesto, but find a healthy medium that negates the constant us vs them mentality and does genuinely demand the best in leadership.

Last edited:
Bankers bail out £500 billion
COVID response under £300 billion

I didn’t see you ***** worrying about the cost back then, why is this different?

This is and has always been the biggest problem with politics - it’s pure tribalism created by ourselves in the shape of ‘Conservative or Labour’.

People lose their own personal ideologies as they feel this desperate need to defend all policies advocated by ‘their’ political party - hell I’m guilty of it, as are most on this forum and across most of the UK.

The idea that you might generally be left or right leaning but appreciate/agree with the opposition on a certain policy isn’t seen as being objective or a solution to getting the best out of the system or holding those in charge to account, but instead a sacrifice to allow you to argue for your party to the death.

Perhaps I’m being exceptionally hypocritical in light of what I’ve just written, but you only have to hear the constant Jeremy Corbyn arguments/slander if you voted for a right wing government to see why we have such divide in this country. People are willing to overlook the failings of their party or leader or take you with some evil brush because of the sheer hatred for the opposition. The loyal voters of Boris Johnson and the conservatives are the same and it’s perhaps not occurred to me until this pandemic.

It’ll never happen, but the best thing for this country would probably be a strong multi party system that don’t represent historical ideologies or come with a form of baggage and that don’t force people into feeling the need to back their entire manifesto, but find a healthy medium that negates the constant us vs them mentality and does genuinely demand the best in leadership.

Too boring, tell me about...yourself

What's your tipple?

An excellent post and all very true.

But increased partisanship is, I fear, a natural consequence of the new media era.

We don't talk in pubs anymore to people who might not agree with us, because we don't go to pubs anymore and talk to aquaintances in our community.

We don't watch the evening news either.

Instead, all our news comes free from partisan sources, and our political discourse takes place in Facebook echo chambers

Brexit has been the worst though; and I would say that it has been the brexit side that has most promoted the idea of brexit being a tribe or creed. But it was heading that way anyway.

Norway's Medical Agency is suggesting adverse reactions to vaccinations have been responsible for the deaths of 23 elderly patients so far in their country...

A veritable centerists paradise

Brexit has been the worst though; and I would say that it has been the brexit side that has most promoted the idea of brexit being a tribe or creed. But it was heading that way anyway.

You would say that because of your views on it . After the referendum there should have been no need for further action, just wait for our united government to implement the democratic decision. The "tribal" element was introduced because hundreds of MPs were elected to implement the decision (such as my own MP Anna Soubry) who then did everything possible to try and stop it. May and Hammond both voted Remain and went about things in that mindset. This led to things like the Brexit Party having to be formed.

The main problem now is the fact that people don't seem to accept democratic votes. In the 2017 election Corbyn did far better than expected, but many of the Labour voters seemed to think they had won, including Diane Abbott who stated they had in one of her many failed interviews.

The referendum result wasn't accepted, and now of course we have the OTT Americans who believe that Trump was swindled. In a world where we are trying to show dictatorships the benefits of democracy, we are all making a real hash of it at the moment.

You would say that because of your views on it . After the referendum there should have been no need for further action, just wait for our united government to implement the democratic decision. The "tribal" element was introduced because hundreds of MPs were elected to implement the decision (such as my own MP Anna Soubry) who then did everything possible to try and stop it. May and Hammond both voted Remain and went about things in that mindset. This led to things like the Brexit Party having to be formed.

The main problem now is the fact that people don't seem to accept democratic votes. In the 2017 election Corbyn did far better than expected, but many of the Labour voters seemed to think they had won, including Diane Abbott who stated they had in one of her many failed interviews.

The referendum result wasn't accepted, and now of course we have the OTT Americans who believe that Trump was swindled. In a world where we are trying to show dictatorships the benefits of democracy, we are all making a real hash of it at the moment.
In other words it’s all the fault of Remainers that Brexit is a nightmare. Utter garbage.

The Brexit vote was a binary vote. Leave or remain.

Remain voters were voting for the status quo.

What were leave voters voting for? Hard Brexit? Soft Brexit? Brexit with a deal? No deal? Remain in the common market or not...?

You can blame Remainers all you like but the reality is that everyone had different ideas of what Brexit means and nobody would agree or compromise. Wnff de that’s before you factor in the incompetence of successive governments.

And you still can’t tell us what benefits we will get from Brexit...