#COVID19 | Page 587 | Vital Football

#COVID19

Yes, yes I remember now.
Just clicked on that link you posted and 'The Statistics guy Jon' is defending them.
Wowsers, it's a battle of trust between a Tory MP and a statistician with an agenda!

This is like watching Liverpool V Derby and having to choose who you want to win!
I know. It's an awful situation.

But an honest spectator of this fight has to route for the chap holding the sword of truth and justice.

It isn't the guy who made up nonsense in an attempt to mislead. Nor is it the Mail, who reprinted it without question, nor others who propagated it through social media. We all make mistakes.

1606145340117.png

**Excellent statement from Boris...

"Whitty, Vallance, Ferguson, PHE, SAGE - all clueless. I've been sold a pup by 'experts' and it's all complete cobblers. All restrictions and measures are lifted immediately, get on with your lives. Merry Christmas"

**This may not be verbatim.

From The Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine at Oxford Uni...

https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/the-innacuracoes-in-the-sage-models/

'Over-estimation' 'out of date models'

It's double speak and reeks of deliberate misleading, I'm afraid.
That's your interpretation of their words, which don't ever say "deliberate misleading".

They do criticise out of date models and prefer the MRC method of continuous updating. But all the models are continuously updated. You can't wish for updates then also complain when they are revised.

Some other things I find odd:
1. they use the graph shown by the CMO about potential deaths in the UK using various models. You and others have consistently referred only to the highest of the four groups' estimates they showed - which, as you say, was almost immediately downgraded. I think the purpose of presenting that graph was that we were already in advance of the 'reasonable worst case scenario' envisaged way back in August. Times move on, and that was clearly an inaccurate projection. The second wave came far sooner than expected, likely due to the early relaxation of restrictions.
2. they use the graph shown by the CMO about potential deaths in the UK using various models, then compare those dismal projections with the reality of deaths within England. That switch is very badly signposted in that blog. Honestly, did you notice it?
3. they use the graph shown by the CMO about the potential toll in the event that there were no further restrictions. It might have been sexed up, or whatever, by presenting the worst of the potential outcomes. As you have shown, it is difficult to persuade a nation to take action before they see the deaths rising. Unfortunately those deaths are baked in before we get to see them. Here we are after 3 weeks of lockdown (and the threat of that beforehand, which has an effect on behaviour too) and numbers seem to be peaking at 'just' ~500 a day. Since, at that point, infections were doubling every two weeks or so (is that right? I can't quite remember), if we had carried on as we were then, there is just cause to believe we could be up at 1000 in a couple of weeks from now. Unless you believe in the unicorn magic of the virus having already just "running it's course" or "fizzling our naturally", etc.
Even if it has now peaked, 500 deaths a day in the UK for a while is not much cause for celebration.

Once again, the economic impact / livelihoods / etc issues are a different story.

I know. It's an awful situation.

But an honest spectator of this fight has to route for the chap holding the sword of truth and justice.

It isn't the guy who made up nonsense in an attempt to mislead. Nor is it the Mail, who reprinted it without question, nor others who propagated it through social media. We all make mistakes.

View attachment 43780

From a different Tory mp...

Contrary to SAGE modelling:

🔵 The peak of infections occurred in the week before lockdown nationally.

🔵 Covid cases overall and in the over 60s was stabilising nationally in the week before lockdown.

The reality is we were over the peak before the lockdown started

So, under the new tier 3 restrictions all pubs and restaurants remain closed.

You can bet your bottom dollar that Nottingham, who no politician gives a shit about, will be straight back into tier 3, even though we are miles down the list of infections per 100,000 now.

These restrictions will last FOUR MONTHS.

So the plan seems to be that by Easter there won't be a single restaurant, pub or cafe left in existence in the poorest regions of the UK.

Great stuff. What do poor northerners need a restaurant for anyway? Make these places a land of takeaways, they won't mind.

As if it couldn't get any more myopic.

So, under the new tier 3 restrictions all pubs and restaurants remain closed.

You can bet your bottom dollar that Nottingham, who no politician gives a shit about, will be straight back into tier 3, even though we are miles down the list of infections per 100,000 now.

These restrictions will last FOUR MONTHS.

So the plan seems to be that by Easter there won't be a single restaurant, pub or cafe left in existence in the poorest regions of the UK.

Great stuff. What do poor northerners need a restaurant for anyway? Make these places a land of takeaways, they won't mind.

As if it couldn't get any more myopic.

Hospitality revenues in December are worth £68 billion.

This is usually essential to survive the slow, temporary gym fad/dry January drop off in the early Q1 weeks/months.

Restricted reopening won’t help many of businesses as you say, some not at all.

There’s no scientific evidence showing hospitality venues are any more dangerous than a supermarket, not that I have seen anyway.

It's a joke.

Hospitality revenues in December are worth £68 billion.

This is usually essential to survive the slow, temporary gym fad/dry January drop off in the early Q1 weeks/months.

Restricted reopening won’t help many of businesses as you say, some not at all.

There’s no scientific evidence showing hospitality venues are any more dangerous than a supermarket, not that I have seen anyway.

It's a joke.

Think we can all agree that restrictions seem arbitrary. Im guessing none of boris' m8s own a restaurant.

Think we can all agree that restrictions seem arbitrary. Im guessing none of boris' m8s own a restaurant.

Westminster is out of touch generally with society. We have witnessed this many times recently; Brexit being the obvious example.

Most of the Cabinet members' view of pubs is probably drunk working class types, factory types, stumbling out of pubs, snogging, fighting and generally being morons.**
They ignore the people that meet up with friends and chew the fat which will clearly help with the mental health of the nation, especially at a time when many are in isolation from family. This avenue of pleasure it seems has a road-block at the entrance.

It's getting frightfully depressing for all.

🤣

How can anyone and I mean anyone defend these ghouls

They are raping the country multiple times and the Tory sychophants just keep defending them

It is an actual sickness, at the least a cult

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1606210594544.jpg
    FB_IMG_1606210594544.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 10
🤣

How can anyone and I mean anyone defend these ghouls

They are raping the country multiple times and the Tory sychophants just keep defending them

It is an actual sickness, at the least a cult

What else should he spend it on? Looks lovely.

Assuming you are being serious, it is hard to tell, now is your time to shine and share with us why you think this is acceptable?

He was only just going on about law and order and the US yesterday

What actually goes on in these peoples minds to justify the absolute whoppers they come out with