#COVID19 | Page 517 | Vital Football

#COVID19

I wasn't saying you were making assumptions; I was pointing out the flaws in extrapolation modelling.

To be honest, it's a wonder the nation's mental health isn't in meltdown. Every day we are treated to a new scientist on TV/media telling us that a vaccine won't work/won't exist/ Christmas will be cancelled/ things will never again be normal/ the virus will be with us until at least spring/summer/winter/ the end of time.

Then you have your politicians telling people who are following the rules it's "our choice" whether these awful things happen, while we read this and despair that we can't stop the delinquent family down the road having a party or running a drugs den if the police can't.

And then we have the politicians/ scientists in the media every day saying we are turning a corner, there is hope, a vaccine will be ready by X time, etc.

It's awful

It will hopefully be the one and only time I agree with a c * n t like Gove, but there are definitely too many experts.

I wasn't saying you were making assumptions; I was pointing out the flaws in extrapolation modelling.

To be honest, it's a wonder the nation's mental health isn't in meltdown. Every day we are treated to a new scientist on TV/media telling us that a vaccine won't work/won't exist/ Christmas will be cancelled/ things will never again be normal/ the virus will be with us until at least spring/summer/winter/ the end of time.

Then you have your politicians telling people who are following the rules it's "our choice" whether these awful things happen, while we read this and despair that we can't stop the delinquent family down the road having a party or running a drugs den if the police can't.

And then we have the politicians/ scientists in the media every day saying we are turning a corner, there is hope, a vaccine will be ready by X time, etc.

It's awful

I don't honestly know whether the country isn't in a mental health meltdown. I don't see how we would know if it was. The police are experiencing a large increase in mental health related arrests. Have you seen signs of it in your teaching?

I would be surprised if there isn't already a very large silent problem happening.

Not sure where that number comes from but if it is a daily rate then it will certainly be a long, long way from true.

How can you believe any of the figures?

The figures relating to the number of people infected are clearly wrong.

The figures relating to the number of deaths are definitely wrong.

It would be easier to list the figures which are accurate; does anyone have any?

I don't honestly know whether the country isn't in a mental health meltdown. I don't see how we would know if it was. The police are experiencing a large increase in mental health related arrests. Have you seen signs of it in your teaching?

I would be surprised if there isn't already a very large silent problem happening.
Have I seen it in teaching?

Yes and no. Honestly, its not that much different to before at the moment. There are students who have clearly suffered from it, and we've had some new cases; but to an extent this has been offset by quite a few of our students who were suffering before lockdown actually doing remarkably well from society and it's pressures being paused for a few months. Altogether it's probably too soon to tell.

If anybody is interested, it’s not very nice. I’m on day 5 and no real improvement. Everything seems a monumental effort. Can’t be arsed to argue with anyone, FFS.
Zero appetite, waves of hot and cold and aching worse than I did after my non-stop 100km walk last year.
Along with most viruses, it goes without saying, you don’t wanna get this.

If anybody is interested, it’s not very nice. I’m on day 5 and no real improvement. Everything seems a monumental effort. Can’t be arsed to argue with anyone, FFS.
Zero appetite, waves of hot and cold and aching worse than I did after my non-stop 100km walk last year.
Sorry to hear that.
Has it surpassed your flu of a few years ago?

All the best dude. Should be a couple more days at the most

You have obviously tested positive, I presume?

The more I hear about this the more convinced I am that I had a dose of it back in January; which would not be a big surprise considering at that point I was working with Toolmakers who were back and forwards to Wuhan and Northern Italy on a regular basis.

Most of the symptoms were there: loss of smell and taste, shortage of breath, hot and cold flushes and a ache right through to the bones - no loss of appetite though; that would be a completely new sensation for me.

Most of the Project team have also had similar conditions, both here and in France; everyone just put it down to a bad dose of the Flu, which it could well have been, but it would have been the worst Flu I have ever experienced by some way.

Hang in there, I'm sure a fit lad like you will be over it in no time.

I'm not a virologist, I going by what I have read and learned since this started, and some of that may be wrong.

No, there is nothing to stop it mutating to be more deadly. To do so I presume it would have to become more like Spanish Flu and attack healthy immune systems; that would surely be quite a substantial mutation.

But evolution suggests that viruses and bacteria tend to weaken over time rather than strengthen simply because it is not useful to them to be very deadly to their host.
Unfortunately that is not strictly correct. Viruses are as likely to become more deadly than they are to become less depending how they mutate.

As has previously been mentioned there is no intuition involved and usefulness doesn’t come into it.

You have obviously tested positive, I presume?

The more I hear about this the more convinced I am that I had a dose of it back in January; which would not be a big surprise considering at that point I was working with Toolmakers who were back and forwards to Wuhan and Northern Italy on a regular basis.

Most of the symptoms were there: loss of smell and taste, shortage of breath, hot and cold flushes and a ache right through to the bones - no loss of appetite though; that would be a completely new sensation for me.

Most of the Project team have also had similar conditions, both here and in France; everyone just put it down to a bad dose of the Flu, which it could well have been, but it would have been the worst Flu I have ever experienced by some way.

Hang in there, I'm sure a fit lad like you will be over it in no time.

Cheers fella. Yes caught, I assume in Mansfield. Testing negative with the DIY self test kit at work, then while isolating awaiting the results, developed symptoms, so had a NHS drive through test at Chezvegas which returned a +VE 24 hours later.

No temperature for me, no loss of taste/smell either. Just a cough from the main symptoms.
When you then fill in the test and trace link they send you, there are 10-15 other symptoms to select, of which appetite loss, muscle/joint pain, are a couple.

Pub told to shut in 24 hours after spending thousands on beer https://www.nottinghampost.com/news...86#ICID=Android_NottinghamPostNewApp_AppShare

I feel sorry for the bloke, but his declaration that he will "never vote again" is incredibly daft. Talk about an easy way of letting off the people who have done this to him. He can hardly blame a Labour party out if power for a decade, and he can hardly show his disgust by not voting

And now both France and Germany will enter 4 week lockdowns. Everything fun or useful for actually living will shut, but schools stay open.

Hoping that Mr Johnson stands firm and does not follow this lead