#COVID19 | Page 399 | Vital Football

#COVID19

Yep, and in one swoop eliminated any chance of me visiting any shops other than the weekly for the foreseeable future.

Was talking to Mrs Pope about maybe trying out a shopping trip in the next couple of weeks. No chance now they have turned it into such a vile experience.
I'm not sure if your family has a specific difficulty with masks but for those unaffected in the way you are this is a trivial impediment to shopping. You get a slightly warmer nose - it's really no big deal.
The criticism is that should have happened much sooner.

There is a likelihood that most of those who were susceptible to Covid, have now had it. For some reason the majority of people do not appear to get it at all - maybe 80%, looking at the best estimates of cities most severely affected, London, New York etc. None of these have had a second phase of increased transmission once lock-down measures have been relaxed. This is despite crowded public transport, population density, etc.

Hopefully therefore, because we have been one of the worst affected countries we should now in a better position than most going forward.

I'm not sure if your family has a specific difficulty with masks but for those unaffected in the way you are this is a trivial impediment to shopping. You get a slightly warmer nose - it's really no big deal.
The criticism is that should have happened much sooner.
It’s a pain in the arse if you wear glasses and as I have asthma, there is mixed advice about wearing a mask but I am happy enough to follow the new guidance.

As you say though, this should have happened months ago.

It’s a pain in the arse if you wear glasses and as I have asthma, there is mixed advice about wearing a mask but I am happy enough to follow the new guidance.

I think it is more appropriate now than months' ago.
We were isolating in our homes then, so masks would have been of limited value, as Van-Tam stated at the time.
Now we are all out and about, wearing masks now makes more sense.

The idea of a mask is not to protect the wearer but to stop the wearer spreading it. Nothing in life is ever zero risk but the overall risks of dying from this virus are getting smaller each day. "Expected" deaths in the population are now back to their pre-Covid levels.

There is a likelihood that most of those who were susceptible to Covid, have now had it. For some reason the majority of people do not appear to get it at all - maybe 80%, looking at the best estimates of cities most severely affected, London, New York etc. None of these have had a second phase of increased transmission once lock-down measures have been relaxed. This is despite crowded public transport, population density, etc.

Hopefully therefore, because we have been one of the worst affected countries we should now in a better position than most going forward.
You are mixing issues a bit.

We haven't finished our first wave.
You are confusing not getting it with being asymptomatic. Not the same!
There are still distancing measures in place.
R is rising in London. Possibly above 1.
A small percentage of even Londoners and NuYoikers have had it, unfortunately. They are nowhere near herd immunity. Public transport is still sparsely populated (in the main) and people are wearing masks.
Almost nobody that has been shielding correctly have had it (homes notwithstanding).
It hasn't gone away. There are probably towards 1500 news cases every day.

I think you're right about many of the most vulnerable having already succumbed.
I think you're also right about the second wave being smaller - that's what the modelling suggests BUT remember that is factoring in the behavioural changes we have seen. It would be far worse if we went back to normal.

Agree about the glasses but you can usually tweak the nose band to make it less bad.

Controlled asthma shouldn't be a problem? You aren't exercising and (if hayfever related) it should keep some of the pollen out.

A small percentage of even Londoners and NuYoikers have had it, unfortunately. They are nowhere near herd immunity. Public transport is still sparsely populated (in the main) and people are wearing masks.
Almost nobody that has been shielding correctly have had it (homes notwithstanding).

I think you're right about many of the most vulnerable having already succumbed.
I think you're also right about the second wave being smaller - that's what the modelling suggests BUT remember that is factoring in the behavioural changes we have seen. It would be far worse if we went back to normal.

So far there is nothing to suggest that there will be a big rise in infections, either now or in the winter. In London with a population of 9 million there have been 269 new positive tests in the last week. The West Midlands there was one death across the whole region yesterday.

London’s cases started to flatten off before the effects of lock-down and have continued to fall despite fears about, demonstrations and the like.

The only likely conclusion is that most of those who were susceptible have now had the virus.

its the wait I don’t get, they known about this for months but just suddenly decide the 24th it’s utterly disgraceful, shameful & just when you think they can’t fuck it up more there it is.

Another example of shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted.

So, I need to wear a mask if I go to the supermarket - but, don't need to in my local boozer (where I've been a few times to help them & the economy out :guiness:), which is significantly smaller?

Presumably, I don't need to wear a mask at the little bistro, that I can now buy meals at Monday to Wednesday at 50% of normal cost either?

You couldn't make it up!

So far there is nothing to suggest that there will be a big rise in infections, either now or in the winter. In London with a population of 9 million there have been 269 new positive tests in the last week. The West Midlands there was one death across the whole region yesterday.

London’s cases started to flatten off before the effects of lock-down and have continued to fall despite fears about, demonstrations and the like.

The only likely conclusion is that most of those who were susceptible have now had the virus.

Or Boris & his mates/family, have bought a face mask manufacturing company!

There were 530 new cases yesterday. A great deal fewer than your 'probably towards 1500'

That's not the only conclusion at all!

Many Londoners looked at what was happening around the world and thought fuck this and didn't go to work. I'm one of those. This was comfortably before any government action because they were to concerned with brexit, Boris's divorce, taking it on the chin, or whatever.
This is also what happened in other places such as Sweden, where people took it into their own hands.
The protests were a) kinda small compared with the normal activity of London, b) often involving masked marches, noisy of whom kept what distance they could from each other (not all obviously!) c) took place outside. There was a risk to the protests but the risk wasn't quite what it was made out to be by some, especially those who are ideologically opposed to the blm movement anyway. The rise in infections (or slowing of the decrease) that has been seen does not correspond in time with the protests but with the easing of lockdown. On the beaches, in contrast, people stayed longer, picnicked, drank, and didn't wear masks.

It's just not true that most of those who would be damaged by the virus have already had it.

Finally, you're using weekend death stats.

I should add, Bash, that if you genuinely have a problem breathing with even a cloth mask then I believe you are exempt. And that's absolutely fine. It's the same principle as those who cannot have vaccines due to allergies; the efforts of everyone else should protect you.
If it's that bad, though, you might consider whether shopping is worth the risk.

We haven't finished our first wave. We pretty much have. As I stated 'expected deaths are at normal rate.
You are confusing not getting it with being asymptomatic. Not the same! No, I am really not.
R is rising in London. Possibly above 1. Not seen this. Can you link it?
It hasn't gone away. There are probably towards 1500 news cases every day. 530 yesterday

See replies above

Also there has been no detectable excess mortality since week 24 in any age group or region. We are at week 28.

I should add, Bash, that if you genuinely have a problem breathing with even a cloth mask then I believe you are exempt. And that's absolutely fine. It's the same principle as those who cannot have vaccines due to allergies; the efforts of everyone else should protect you.
If it's that bad, though, you might consider whether shopping is worth the risk.
The problem is I am currently being assessed to decide just how bad my asthma is. An x-ray and CT scan have ruled out anything more insidious but they are still in the process of determining.

I am happy enough to wear the mask while shopping until I am told I shouldn’t be going at all.