#COVID19 | Page 142 | Vital Football

#COVID19

But they will fall back upon the fact that this is a new disease, with very little empirical data available, not to mention the questionable initial data set from China. There is/was nothing like this to relate to and if China were 'frugal' with the Truth then this was flawed at outset.

China did 'impose' an effective lockdown (because they can) - yet we still have halfwits sunbathing in parks, having BBQs on beaches and coughing/spitting at the Police?!

A lot of the 're-modelling' was redone when Italy became epicentre - a more reliable data source - but, there are huge social & demographic anomalies.

This is not a time to aportion blame, that will no doubt come later (as it always does) - but, the MP's/Cabinet/PM etc - will all say that they relied on the advice from 'experts' - however, clearly, there are no COVID-19 experts, they are all learning about this now.

Witty said they can learn from Germany, but they had huge Pharma companies to help, the ability & capacity to test more - with more raw material/chemical stocks and also, a much greater ICU capacity. We are playing catch up, but building NHS Nightingale and a new testing regime etc etc has appeared to show that we are moving in the right direction.

If you do want to blame, then point the finger at the morons still ignoring social distancing measures - as I walked back from the shop on Sunday with basics, I walked past a house where they were having a party, they'd erected their own marquee (of sorts) with bar in the garden, BBQ outside and a hot-tub and there must have been 20-30 people there.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink - until more draconian measures are taken, then there will always be a minority that think the rules do not apply to them!
These idiots are a minority.
Closing down to all but idiots is still vastly beneficial and something that should have occurred earlier. But British exceptionalism extends to, and is personified by, the government.

It is very hard to decouple this from brexit, try as I might. All eyes were on the wrong ball in January and 'we' were too proud (stupid) to even attend EU strategy meetings, let alone the procurement scheme.

But they will fall back upon the fact that this is a new disease, with very little empirical data available, not to mention the questionable initial data set from China. There is/was nothing like this to relate to and if China were 'frugal' with the Truth then this was flawed at outset.

China did 'impose' an effective lockdown (because they can) - yet we still have halfwits sunbathing in parks, having BBQs on beaches and coughing/spitting at the Police?!

A lot of the 're-modelling' was redone when Italy became epicentre - a more reliable data source - but, there are huge social & demographic anomalies.

This is not a time to aportion blame, that will no doubt come later (as it always does) - but, the MP's/Cabinet/PM etc - will all say that they relied on the advice from 'experts' - however, clearly, there are no COVID-19 experts, they are all learning about this now.

Witty said they can learn from Germany, but they had huge Pharma companies to help, the ability & capacity to test more - with more raw material/chemical stocks and also, a much greater ICU capacity. We are playing catch up, but building NHS Nightingale and a new testing regime etc etc has appeared to show that we are moving in the right direction.

If you do want to blame, then point the finger at the morons still ignoring social distancing measures - as I walked back from the shop on Sunday with basics, I walked past a house where they were having a party, they'd erected their own marquee (of sorts) with bar in the garden, BBQ outside and a hot-tub and there must have been 20-30 people there.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink - until more draconian measures are taken, then there will always be a minority that think the rules do not apply to them!

Sounds a lot like it was here early on until the police were heavily involved and shortly afterwards the military. And now it looks as though we're on the up in fairly short time. And it's not long since Bondi Beach was full of uncaring bodies. The beach is closed now and several others the same and it's working, but only due to heavy police and military involvement.
On a personal level though this business of being confined to the house is hard to take, but the results are definitely worth it. If it was left to folk in general to conform then I think we'd all be long gone.

This is particularly grim reading. Fortunately it's American and likely utter bollocks

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...redicts?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Samsung_Internet

This is not American though and is especially grim reading View attachment 38569
We are well above Italy's curve and set to be the worst affected in Europe.

That is quite simply down to this government's shocking flirtation with herd immunity bullshit.

854 people died today. These people caught it 3-4 weeks ago- as the rest of Europe started locking down while Johnson did fuck all other than parading Cummings chosen experts who reckoned every other expert on the planet was wrong.

There is blood on this government's hands.

Worst day in Italy was 971. We are well on course to smash that and the peak is not even in sight yet.

The big thing for me was the fact that, as seems to be per usual in america, black folk making up 70% of deaths in Chicago while i think it was 30% of the population.

I get angry at the levels of inequality in this country, sure i would lose it if i had to live there.

The big thing for me was the fact that, as seems to be per usual in america, black folk making up 70% of deaths in Chicago while i think it was 30% of the population.

I get angry at the levels of inequality in this country, sure i would lose it if i had to live there.
In fairness, the numbers of non-whites in Britain dying are completely disproportionate as well.

Over 30% of deaths have come from non whites who make up just 13% of the population. Apart from non-whites making up a significant part of the NHS, they have no real theories as to why this is.

Not quite sure what socio-economic inequalities would have led to this happening over the course of a month

In fairness, the numbers of non-whites in Britain dying are completely disproportionate as well.

Over 30% of deaths have come from non whites who make up just 13% of the population. Apart from non-whites making up a significant part of the NHS, they have no real theories as to why this is.

Not quite sure what socio-economic inequalities would have led to this happening over the course of a month

Generally the answer can be found in poverty, bame disproportionatly likely to be poor. There is a lesser argument about affluent areas better at lobbying for investment. But you know what, at least they have access to free health care. We have got cross over a govt blase enough to write off 250k citizens but that is the status quo over there for millions. My understanding is that healthcare is used by big business to charge big money which is why many are against insurance. Not interested to look further into why they dont get their shit together on health.

Generally the answer can be found in poverty, bame disproportionatly likely to be poor. There is a lesser argument about affluent areas better at lobbying for investment. But you know what, at least they have access to free health care. We have got cross over a govt blase enough to write off 250k citizens but that is the status quo over there for millions. My understanding is that healthcare is used by big business to charge big money which is why many are against insurance. Not interested to look further into why they dont get their shit together on health.

Normally it is poverty.

Not sure how that translates to something that has occured over only a month however, unless we are saying that BME people are generally working in jobs where they are more likely to catch this. That is certainly possible

Looks like the EUs top bloke on the subject has resigned this morning. Reading between the lines he thinks like I do that they are a bunch of tossers. I read the stuff Pope kindly forwarded to me last night and was a bit surprised at Ursula Van Der Leyens cheery look what we are doing demeaner. Good idea that she is keeping her head down.

It is and i applaud the demand for transparency but lets face it, authority generally doesnt like to have its assumptions questioned.

Not sure we will see too much transparency.

One of the first individuals Boris turned to when things started to get out of hand was Isaac Levido, a so called expert at managing reputations and the news cycle.

Looks like the EUs top bloke on the subject has resigned this morning. Reading between the lines he thinks like I do that they are a bunch of tossers. I read the stuff Pope kindly forwarded to me last night and was a bit surprised at Ursula Van Der Leyens cheery look what we are doing demeaner. Good idea that she is keeping her head down.
He is disappointed and frustrated that the EU doesn't have more power and coordinated health systems. If you think like he does, then you think the EU commission should have the power to dictate health policy across the continent and how vast, and I mean vast, sums of nations' money should be spent. Is that what you think?
Also, he was head of the commissions research committee, not their "top bloke on the subject".

It is and i applaud the demand for transparency but lets face it, authority generally doesnt like to have its assumptions questioned.
When other scientists have asked to see and check Ferguson's code - upon which these monumental decisions are being made - he said (paraphrased) that he wouldn't release it because it was "thousands of lines of undocumented C code that he wrote 13 years ago".
That doesn't mean it is wrong, but transparent it aint.

He is disappointed and frustrated that the EU doesn't have more power and coordinated health systems. If you think like he does, then you think the EU commission should have the power to dictate health policy across the continent and how vast, and I mean vast, sums of nations' money should be spent. Is that what you think?
Also, he was head of the commissions research committee, not their "top bloke on the subject".
Yes thats right the head of the commissions research committee, the top bloke. How I read it was he thought that they ( the EU) couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery.

Yes thats right the head of the commissions research committee, the top bloke. How I read it was he thought that they ( the EU) couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery.
That's all EU funded research. He's A top bloke but not responsible for covid19 research specifically, and certainly not the political response to covid19 although his views would probably be listened to among many other voices.

He was more frustrated at the inability to organise the piss up in the brewery because the commission doesn't have the power to do so.
Of course, there will always be disagreements on how it should be done and most, if not all, committees suffer from that sort of paralysis. I've never been one to claim that large democratic organisations are efficient or agile. Dictators are much more efficient.