#COVID19 | Page 1111 | Vital Football

#COVID19

Although I agree with the findings re masks, the Guardian Headline is misleading. Masks will not cut infection rates by 53%. The actual research doesn’t say that. The Guardian, once again has taken research out of context. Masks are a useful and effective barrier for all respiratory disease including flu and covid. The single most effective way is to ensure you have up to date vaccine.

I know 2 people one in their 30s and one just turned 50 who have both had their jabs and both ended up in hospital with it, the vaccine may stop people dying but it's better to not get it at all. Masks really are such a small thing to do and does reduce the chance of getting ill, but so many seem to think it's too much hassle to wear one in public. These home tests are shit as well just random results may as well toss a coin, not sure why there hasn't been more research in a more simple accurate test so more might stay in and keep the number of carriers down.

We are sleepwalking into more trouble, 200ish deaths a day is that acceptable? 5k a month with plenty of room for that number to rise. Some token gesture methods masks etc should have already been put in place, beggar's belief they are being so casual after so many cock ups last year.

I know 2 people one in their 30s and one just turned 50 who have both had their jabs and both ended up in hospital with it, the vaccine may stop people dying but it's better to not get it at all. Masks really are such a small thing to do and does reduce the chance of getting ill, but so many seem to think it's too much hassle to wear one in public. These home tests are shit as well just random results may as well toss a coin, not sure why there hasn't been more research in a more simple accurate test so more might stay in and keep the number of carriers down.

We are sleepwalking into more trouble, 200ish deaths a day is that acceptable? 5k a month with plenty of room for that number to rise. Some token gesture methods masks etc should have already been put in place, beggar's belief they are being so casual after so many cock ups last year.

I think the last couple of years have truly shown how messed up the country is, actually not just the 'country' but so many of the people. 2 years down the line and people still having debates about something a 4 year old would truly understand. And like that with so many subjects..

"I aint getting no jab" An Oxy 'moron' I know. The words my own sister sent me today. Not really a decision based on science it seems, "its the giving in to tyranny" she texted.

Me, blank faced, this person was raised similar to me, is only 5 years younger. The only retort I could muster was the lmfao smiley but between you and me guys, I didnt find it that funny

I think the last couple of years have truly shown how messed up the country is, actually not just the 'country' but so many of the people. 2 years down the line and people still having debates about something a 4 year old would truly understand. And like that with so many subjects..

"I aint getting no jab" An Oxy 'moron' I know. The words my own sister sent me today. Not really a decision based on science it seems, "its the giving in to tyranny" she texted.

Me, blank faced, this person was raised similar to me, is only 5 years younger. The only retort I could muster was the lmfao smiley but between you and me guys, I didnt find it that funny

You can chose your friends paz but not your family, and i speak from experience where approximately 80% of mine are numpties

After going through the whole of this pandemic without catching it, I've finally tested positive today. Ordinarily I wouldn't be too bothered but it means my week abroad next week is now being cancelled :mad:

No doubt I caught it off HIM, HIM and HIM in trap 2 the riddled f****ks

So sick of this shit lads

After going through the whole of this pandemic without catching it, I've finally tested positive today. Ordinarily I wouldn't be too bothered but it means my week abroad next week is now being cancelled :mad:

Ouch. Lots of water, multivitamins and specifically vitamin C and D.

Hopefully you only have a really mild version and it buggers off quickly.

I blame HIM and brexit.

Get well soon

IT WAS YOUR TURN TO GO TO THE CHIPPY THIS WEEKEND CHAP!!!!! My turn again then , so how battered would you like your sausage this time chap? I will drop them off at 5.42 tomorrow chap.

Oh and get well soon Cornflakeschap.Whilst you are at home chap it's notable we are on page 1111 so update the relevant pop sheet chap in respect of palindromes and umpires chap!

Hope you're feeling better soon, chap. Paracetamol really helped me.
Oh and 'rubber up' next time.

Last edited:
Interesting take from the top man at AZ, as to why we are doing better than Western Europe, at the moment...

AstraZeneca jab could be the reason Britain is faring better than Europe, says vaccine boss
'In the UK, this vaccine was used for older people. Whereas in Europe initially people thought the vaccine doesn't work in older people'

The AstraZeneca jab could be the reason why Britain is faring better than Europe when it comes to Covid, the vaccine company's boss has said.

As countries in the EU - including Germany, the Netherlands and Austria begin to reimpose lockdown restrictions, the UK appears to be coping with the return to relative normality.

Pascal Soirot, chief executive of AstraZeneca, believes this could be due to the fact that so many older people were given the Oxford vaccine in Britain, whereas members of the EU banned the jab for its elderly populations.

The EU's medical regulator approved the use of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine for all age groups in January.

But the rollout stalled in France, Germany and Italy when they recommended that it should not be used for people over 65, citing insufficient data on its efficacy for older people.

By March, they had U-turned on the policy, by which time the UK's rollout had far surpassed their European counterparts with millions of doses of AstraZeneca going into people of all ages.

This delay, according to Mr Soirot, could be the reason why restrictions are being tightened and hospitalisations are going up in Europe.

He told the BBC's Radio 4 Today programme: "You have two dimensions to this immune response... one is the antibody response and two is the so called T-cell response.

"And the antibody response is what drives the immediate reaction or defence of the body when when you're attacked by the virus.

"And the T-cell response takes a little longer to come in. But it's actually more durable. It lasts longer.

"And the body remembers that longer. So you see on to everybody's focused on antibodies, but antibodies you see them decline over time."

On Monday, Germany saw the second biggest number of daily cases in the world with 49,467, with the UK third with 41,365.

There were 204 Covid deaths reported on Monday compared to the UK's 45 and on Nov 14, there were 3,020 in intensive care with coronavirus compared to the UK's 923.

In March, the number in Germany was 200, and 1,813 in the UK, emphasising how mainland Europe is once again in the grip of another Covid storm.

Mr Soirot said: "What remains and is very important is this T-cell response.

"And as soon as the virus attacks you, they wake up and they come to the rescue and the defend you and but it takes them a little while so you may be infected, but then they come to the rescue and you don't get hospitalised and it's really interesting when you look at the UK, the there was a big peak of infections, but not so many hospitalisations relative to Europe.

"In the UK, this vaccine was used to vaccinate older people. Whereas in Europe initially people thought the vaccine doesn't work in older people."

Emmanuel Macron and German Chancellor Angela Merkel both publicly suggested the AstraZeneca jab was of no use to older people, with the French President calling it "quasi-ineffective".

Asked if that was a mistake by Europe, Mr Soirot said: "I'm not saying there was any mistake done by anybody. I'm just saying that there's a lot of data that still need to be made available that we don't have."

And pressed on the BBC if there could be a link between hospitalisation rates and the fact that AstraZeneca wasn't used in older people meaning the T-cell response isn't there, he said: What I'm saying is T-cells do matters, and in particular as it relates to the durability of the response, especially in older people, and this vaccine has been shown to stimulate T-cells to a higher degree in older people.

"And so we haven't seen many hospitalisations in the UK, a lot of infections, for sure, everybody talking about those.

"But what matters is are you severely ill or not are you hospitalised or not? And we haven't seen so many of these hospitalisations.

"There's no proof of anything. We don't know [if because AstraZeneca was used among older people in the UK instead of Pfizer or Moderna] but we need more data to analyse this and get the answer."

Germany is debating the possibility of introducing a general vaccine mandate next year amid warnings that it is facing a fifth wave of Covid cases.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...uld-reason-britain-faring-better-europe-says/

Interesting take from the top man at AZ, as to why we are doing better than Western Europe, at the moment...

AstraZeneca jab could be the reason Britain is faring better than Europe, says vaccine boss
'In the UK, this vaccine was used for older people. Whereas in Europe initially people thought the vaccine doesn't work in older people'

The AstraZeneca jab could be the reason why Britain is faring better than Europe when it comes to Covid, the vaccine company's boss has said.

As countries in the EU - including Germany, the Netherlands and Austria begin to reimpose lockdown restrictions, the UK appears to be coping with the return to relative normality.

Pascal Soirot, chief executive of AstraZeneca, believes this could be due to the fact that so many older people were given the Oxford vaccine in Britain, whereas members of the EU banned the jab for its elderly populations.

The EU's medical regulator approved the use of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine for all age groups in January.

But the rollout stalled in France, Germany and Italy when they recommended that it should not be used for people over 65, citing insufficient data on its efficacy for older people.

By March, they had U-turned on the policy, by which time the UK's rollout had far surpassed their European counterparts with millions of doses of AstraZeneca going into people of all ages.

This delay, according to Mr Soirot, could be the reason why restrictions are being tightened and hospitalisations are going up in Europe.

He told the BBC's Radio 4 Today programme: "You have two dimensions to this immune response... one is the antibody response and two is the so called T-cell response.

"And the antibody response is what drives the immediate reaction or defence of the body when when you're attacked by the virus.

"And the T-cell response takes a little longer to come in. But it's actually more durable. It lasts longer.

"And the body remembers that longer. So you see on to everybody's focused on antibodies, but antibodies you see them decline over time."

On Monday, Germany saw the second biggest number of daily cases in the world with 49,467, with the UK third with 41,365.

There were 204 Covid deaths reported on Monday compared to the UK's 45 and on Nov 14, there were 3,020 in intensive care with coronavirus compared to the UK's 923.

In March, the number in Germany was 200, and 1,813 in the UK, emphasising how mainland Europe is once again in the grip of another Covid storm.

Mr Soirot said: "What remains and is very important is this T-cell response.

"And as soon as the virus attacks you, they wake up and they come to the rescue and the defend you and but it takes them a little while so you may be infected, but then they come to the rescue and you don't get hospitalised and it's really interesting when you look at the UK, the there was a big peak of infections, but not so many hospitalisations relative to Europe.

"In the UK, this vaccine was used to vaccinate older people. Whereas in Europe initially people thought the vaccine doesn't work in older people."

Emmanuel Macron and German Chancellor Angela Merkel both publicly suggested the AstraZeneca jab was of no use to older people, with the French President calling it "quasi-ineffective".

Asked if that was a mistake by Europe, Mr Soirot said: "I'm not saying there was any mistake done by anybody. I'm just saying that there's a lot of data that still need to be made available that we don't have."

And pressed on the BBC if there could be a link between hospitalisation rates and the fact that AstraZeneca wasn't used in older people meaning the T-cell response isn't there, he said: What I'm saying is T-cells do matters, and in particular as it relates to the durability of the response, especially in older people, and this vaccine has been shown to stimulate T-cells to a higher degree in older people.

"And so we haven't seen many hospitalisations in the UK, a lot of infections, for sure, everybody talking about those.

"But what matters is are you severely ill or not are you hospitalised or not? And we haven't seen so many of these hospitalisations.

"There's no proof of anything. We don't know [if because AstraZeneca was used among older people in the UK instead of Pfizer or Moderna] but we need more data to analyse this and get the answer."

Germany is debating the possibility of introducing a general vaccine mandate next year amid warnings that it is facing a fifth wave of Covid cases.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...uld-reason-britain-faring-better-europe-says/

Think timing had at least as much to do with it but i think he was being coy cos the evidence for vaccines is by now overwhelming

Think timing had at least as much to do with it but i think he was being coy cos the evidence for vaccines is by now overwhelming
T cells are our immune memories from my understanding so they really have more relevance if you are re infected in the future as opposed to that first infection.