#COVID19 | Page 1090 | Vital Football

#COVID19

Very, very sad for a new 'lost generation'.

Children as young as 10 believe the pandemic will change the rest of their life, a new study suggests.

Co-op's survey of more than 5,000 10- to 25-year-olds found that nearly two-thirds of young people said their generation would be permanently disadvantaged by the impact of the coronavirus crisis.

Two out of three said competition to get a job had already increased so it felt "impossible" to find work, while almost a third said the pandemic had made them less likely to continue with further education.

Almost three in five respondents said the Government had failed them in its handling of Covid.

That's a very odd way of framing the mortality, but let's go with it.
We need to be 100% clear on this, these people who sadly passed away did not die from Covid, they died with Covid.

Covid was not necessarily the cause of death.

That daily figure quoted is the number of deaths of people who had a positive test result for covid and died within 28 days of the first positive test.

I know, through tragic stories from Mrs Strett that people contract Covid whilst they are in palliative (end of life) care in hospital. I know that people who are in severe RTAs and induced comas, die with covid present in their bodies. These two of many examples form the daily figures.

Is there a more accurate way of presenting these figures? Don't know, but they are damn useful in keeping a scared public on side, when extra measures are deemed necessary by SAGE members with absolutely nothing to lose.

IMO, they should stop reporting it.
Most of the country are as safe as they can be, thanks to the tremendous efforts of all involved with the vaccination program, along with natural immunity and normalised behaviour.

Why not publish the daily mortality figures from dementia or cancer, as we are far more at risk of dying from those. There there is a lot of scientific evidence that suggests changing lifestyles will massively reduce individual risk.

It's time the nation's overall health was given as much of a spotlight, but I fear the fallout from this will take much longer and cost much more than a National Insurance increase.

Ok I’ll bite, do you know how hard & with such dignity do a great many people work in palliative care? Yes it can seem like the COVID19 figure is being inflated but to write it off because they were going to die anyway is as disgusting as the butcher & his not killing the economy for the over 80’s.

the absolute main concern for any politician should be to keep its citizens alive not keeping taxes low for landlords, Tory donors & Russian oligarchs

Not on the way out, no.

yes strange how Priti has failed on that, though as with deploying warships to defend a few happy British fish it’s strange how it’s in the media on the same day as a by-election or on a day where it’s better to bury bad news

Also quite excellent deflection chap.

Last edited:
Ok I’ll bite, do you know how hard & with such dignity do a great many people work in palliative care? Yes it can seem like the COVID19 figure is being inflated but to write it off because they were going to die anyway is as disgusting as the butcher & his not killing the economy for the over 80’s.

the absolute main concern for any politician should be to keep its citizens alive not keeping taxes low for landlords, Tory donors & Russian oligarchs

I am fully aware, yes.
I'm not writing it off because they were going to die anyway, how you have deduced that from my post is quite something.

That's a very odd way of framing the mortality, but let's go with it.
We need to be 100% clear on this, these people who sadly passed away did not die from Covid, they died with Covid.

Covid was not necessarily the cause of death.

That daily figure quoted is the number of deaths of people who had a positive test result for covid and died within 28 days of the first positive test.

I know, through tragic stories from Mrs Strett that people contract Covid whilst they are in palliative (end of life) care in hospital. I know that people who are in severe RTAs and induced comas, die with covid present in their bodies. These two of many examples form the daily figures.

Is there a more accurate way of presenting these figures? Don't know, but they are damn useful in keeping a scared public on side, when extra measures are deemed necessary by SAGE members with absolutely nothing to lose.

IMO, they should stop reporting it.
Most of the country are as safe as they can be, thanks to the tremendous efforts of all involved with the vaccination program, along with natural immunity and normalised behaviour.

Why not publish the daily mortality figures from dementia or cancer, as we are far more at risk of dying from those. There is a lot of scientific evidence that suggests changing lifestyles will massively reduce individual risk.

It's time the nation's overall health was given as much of a spotlight, but I fear the fallout from this will take much longer and cost much more than a National Insurance increase.
I framed it that way because they were almost adjacent items on last night's news. A long piece about the awful events in Paris, followed by a very brief side note that more people had died with covid here today. And yesterday. And tomorrow, and etc.

I actually agree with some bits of your first paragraph that - today - the number is likely to be an over estimate of people dying *from* covid but it is difficult to tell. Having covid certainly doesn't make you better!
"*WITH* COVID!!!" has, unfortunately, been the battle cry of deniers/hoaxers/poorly informed folk throughout - when it was very clearly wrong.
There are still many people hospitalised because of covid, some are still dying every day. That's what happens when you multiply a small number by a very large number. Sadly, the pandemic isn't yet over.

The bit of your post about SAGE/SPECTRE is offensive, conspiracy theory, twaddle, of course.

I framed it that way because they were almost adjacent items on last night's news. A long piece about the awful events in Paris, followed by a very brief side note that more people had died with covid here today. And yesterday. And tomorrow, and etc.

I actually agree with some bits of your first paragraph that - today - the number is likely to be an over estimate of people dying *from* covid but it is difficult to tell. Having covid certainly doesn't make you better!
"*WITH* COVID!!!" has, unfortunately, been the battle cry of deniers/hoaxers/poorly informed folk throughout - when it was very clearly wrong.
There are still many people hospitalised because of covid, some are still dying every day. That's what happens when you multiply a small number by a very large number. Sadly, the pandemic isn't yet over.

The bit of your post about SAGE/SPECTRE is offensive, conspiracy theory, twaddle, of course.

Why is that offensive?
It's only as offensive as suggesting the government are to blame, the advantage with having an elected official making these decisions though, is they can be removed (EU, are you listening?)

SAGE members have nothing to lose by recommending measures that put immeasurable financial and emotional stress on millions of people, but are unaccountable. These were not elected.

Last edited:
Very, very sad for a new 'lost generation'.

Children as young as 10 believe the pandemic will change the rest of their life, a new study suggests.

Co-op's survey of more than 5,000 10- to 25-year-olds found that nearly two-thirds of young people said their generation would be permanently disadvantaged by the impact of the coronavirus crisis.

Two out of three said competition to get a job had already increased so it felt "impossible" to find work, while almost a third said the pandemic had made them less likely to continue with further education.

Almost three in five respondents said the Government had failed them in its handling of Covid.

Strett, this post of yours paints a pretty poor picture of the young people in the UK , that is if the Co-op survey is correct, and I hope it's not. I've got 6 grandchildren in that age bracket and not one of them thinks like that. And they are all working in some form or other even though we are in our 10th week of lockdown with at least another 6 to follow if everything goes right.
Permanently disadvantaged, good job they're not involved in a real war or living in a country where vaccines are not available.

One point that does sound as though it could be nearer the mark though is the point about the Govt failing in its handling of Covid. Ours is the same.

Strett, this post of yours paints a pretty poor picture of the young people in the UK , that is if the Co-op survey is correct, and I hope it's not. I've got 6 grandchildren in that age bracket and not one of them thinks like that. And they are all working in some form or other even though we are in our 10th week of lockdown with at least another 6 to follow if everything goes right.
Permanently disadvantaged, good job they're not involved in a real war or living in a country where vaccines are not available.

One point that does sound as though it could be nearer the mark though is the point about the Govt failing in its handling of Covid. Ours is the same.
So you would say that people who had their university education face to face with actual teachers aren't at an advantage over those who had their university education over zoom?
How about people who weren't able to find a job for over a year because of the pandemic, would you say they are at a disadvantage compared to those who were working?

There are some age groups who suffered alot because of this, not least students taking exams and those who expected to start work over the last year, but then couldn't.

Do you know how hard it is to find a job when you've been out of work? I'll tell you, whether its because of the pandemic or not, people don't want to hire someone with a recent gap in their CV.

At some point, the fact that people aren't having to fight in a war stops being a useful counter point to people's lack of employment choices. If you think about it, it doesn't even make sense to bring it up in this context.

Well normal here will be the pantomime of masks, scotch eggs, regional lockdowns, Christmas cancelled at the last minute, a new variant, park benches decommissioned, and then some bollocks new vaccine which definitely works this time.
sound like things that woul happen in a movie where a highly infectious virus is running loose and has the power to damage a global economy and kill millions of people

Yeah. I was wondering where the third that didn't think they were disadvantaged were coming from?
Unless you sell ppe to your mates in gov, we've pretty much all been disadvantaged. The young especially so.

I feel so sorry for 21 year olds (never thought I’d say that) they’ve lost the best years of their lives I can’t imagine losing that 18 months it’s just be horrific & now you’ve got boomers walking around supermarkets with no mask whinging about migrant boats.

I'm not saying the EU site is wrong, no. What I am showing you is the French rules for living in metropolitan France as an EU citizen; which are not automatic, as I have shown.
I think he said the right to work and live.

It makes sense that you cant live a decent life without money/income, but thats The case in ones own country, its just common sense, shouldnt really need it writing down.

I got my residency after indeed bumming around for years, a decade even, obviously wouldnt have been any point becoming a residentif If couldnt bring in any euros. :)

I dont imagine i would claim benefits if I was struggling, thats perhaps the one area that I Sympathise with the right wingers.. but at the same time Id be happy to give every unemployed person a couple of grand a month even if it took me working 50 hours a week to earn the same

I feel so sorry for 21 year olds (never thought I’d say that) they’ve lost the best years of their lives I can’t imagine losing that 18 months it’s just be horrific & now you’ve got boomers walking around supermarkets with no mask whinging about migrant boats.
they didnt lose the years, that just silly, they wernt put into cyrosleep., they just had to entertain themselves for18 months

So you would say that people who had their university education face to face with actual teachers aren't at an advantage over those who had their university education over zoom?
How about people who weren't able to find a job for over a year because of the pandemic, would you say they are at a disadvantage compared to those who were working?

There are some age groups who suffered alot because of this, not least students taking exams and those who expected to start work over the last year, but then couldn't.

Do you know how hard it is to find a job when you've been out of work? I'll tell you, whether its because of the pandemic or not, people don't want to hire someone with a recent gap in their CV.

At some point, the fact that people aren't having to fight in a war stops being a useful counter point to people's lack of employment choices. If you think about it, it doesn't even make sense to bring it up in this context.

Don't really disagree with any of that, my post was in relation to the Co-op survey which painted a pretty poor picture of the situation regarding youth. I thought I'd made that clear but obviously not and I made no mention of fighting in a war, just going without a few things would show them the difference.

If you read my post again you'll notice that I make the point that "I hope the Co-op survey is wrong". Can't make it any clearer than that.

they didnt lose the years, that just silly, they wernt put into cyrosleep., they just had to entertain themselves for18 months

They did lose it & the total lack of recognition of that is absolutely symptomatic of the selfish uncaring attitude of far too many in this country