COVID | Vital Football

COVID

mehmets_curlies

Vital Squad Member
Since Feb 1st we have had to see my wifes sister go through the ringer with this fucking disease. Thankfully, she has pulled through, but not without some poteantial long term issues. To see my wife go thorugh this hell, without being able to see her sister in person, was horrendous. We've been lucky where so many haven't. Cudos to the nurses and doctors. They have been amazing. I am sure, as a countru, we could dig the dosh out to give them a bigger raise than 1%.

Since Feb 1st we have had to see my wifes sister go through the ringer with this fucking disease. Thankfully, she has pulled through, but not without some poteantial long term issues. To see my wife go thorugh this hell, without being able to see her sister in person, was horrendous. We've been lucky where so many haven't. Cudos to the nurses and doctors. They have been amazing. I am sure, as a countru, we could dig the dosh out to give them a bigger raise than 1%.
Yes but the government has no money now we hear. But it can waste billions on a failed track and trace system. Al it wants to do is take it out on public sector workers. The 1% increase is a disgusting insult to frontline NHS staff. Sadly the electorate got what it voted for.

As nurses are acknowledged by the Prime minister to have done their jobs to the highest standards they should all resign. Then they might be entitled to the same £45k pay off bonus he paid his sidekick (That one who suggested the NHS should now be getting £350 million quid a week)

People enthusiastically voted for this fraudster to "run" the country and apparently opinion polls say his party is ahead. People are getting what they voted for.

There have been a string of dreadful decisions but still the people don't mind.

Rishi Sunak's constituency ofRichmond qualifies for levelling up funding even though it is in one of the most prosperous constituencies in the country. Still they get away with it.

The people are getting what they wanted. It would be condescending if me to suggest they've been duped.

People enthusiastically voted for this fraudster to "run" the country and apparently opinion polls say his party is ahead. People are getting what they voted for.

There have been a string of dreadful decisions but still the people don't mind.

That's the really scary part. They are well ahead in the polls.

People want more of this croynism

Just how bad could Labour be for the majority to want more of the tories .

That's the really scary part. They are well ahead in the polls.

People want more of this croynism

Just how bad could Labour be for the majority to want more of the tories .

In times of crisis the people always support the existing government. Once the crisis is over it soon ends e.g. Churchill thrown out straight after WWII.

In times of crisis the people always support the existing government. Once the crisis is over it soon ends e.g. Churchill thrown out straight after WWII.
That's what I'm hoping and half expecting. Give it a couple of years when the honeymoon peeiod is over. Johnson can then f off and "earn" pots of money writing more sh#t and some poor sod will have to pick up the pieces.

I see he wants to breach the agreement with the EU again. Haven't heard his supportive mates in the press criticise this breach but they went hysterical when the EU threatened (wrongly of course) to do this for one day until they saw sense.

Embarassing to have this charlatan as our PM.

Last edited:
I see he wants to breach the agreement with the EU again. Haven't heard his supportive mates in the press criticise this breach but they went husterical when the EU threatened (wrongly of course) to do this for one day until they saw sense.

Are you aware that the EU haven't actually ratified the Brexit deal into EU law and the Brexit deal is only being followed on a provisional basis only? The EU hope to pass it into law by the 30th April this year.

The crux of the dispute is that the EU wants to ban plant life being exported from mainland UK to Northern Ireland if the plant has a single spec of soil on it. The plants aren't even being exported into the Republic of Ireland. The "breach" has zero impact on the EU beyond being used as an excuse to further delay the ratification of the deal that some countries aren't happy with.

On the face of it, a 1% pay rise for nurses looks terrible. When you actually look at the fact that 0.9% is the current rate of inflation 1% is, in effect, a pay freeze, at a time when the government has a massive black hole in it's finances, which makes it seem reasonable. However, they must have known the reaction this was going to cause and basically their choices now are (a) back down now, which is a short term PR nightmare or (b) have this used as a comparison for at least a year every time MP's, Lords, Ministers, quango heads, civil servants and whoever else get a pay rise that exceeds 1% (and rest assured, they all will!). Not a great pair of options, but they've put themselves in this mess, now they'll have to get out of it.

Over to Captain Hindsight to "pick up the pieces"?

I'm sure that will work out just fine 🙂
Ho ho. That's an embarassing response to copy Johnson's pathetic attempt at a jibe.

Just one example for starters. Fiasco just before Xmas. Starmer calling for lockdown/tougher measures Johnson "cruel to cancel Xmas". 3 days later Johnson does what Starmer called for IN ADVANCE.

As I've said before, every previous Tory leader in my lifetime would have dealt with this better and had a better bunch of cabinet members around him/her.

You can't deal with an ecomomy and worldwide virus with boosterism, enhanced cronyism and duplicity.

(b) have this used as a comparison for at least a year every time MP's, Lords, Ministers, quango heads, civil servants and whoever else get a pay rise that exceeds 1% (and rest assured, they all will!). Not a great pair of options, but they've put themselves in this mess, now they'll have to get out of it.

The reason why this argument is never damaging to the government is because 99% of MPs vote for their pay rises on the basis that the recommendations are by an independent body and is therefore "fair". The only MPs who vote against the rise are relative unknowns who are using it as a "I'm a man of the common folk" PR stunt knowing the rise will go through anyway.

In terms of part a), the government might actually be helped if the Royal College of Nursing carrying out plans to strike having demanded an unreasonable 12.5% pay rise.

Are you aware that the EU haven't actually ratified the Brexit deal into EU law and the Brexit deal is only being followed on a provisional basis only? The EU hope to pass it into law by the 30th April this year.

The crux of the dispute is that the EU wants to ban plant life being exported from mainland UK to Northern Ireland if the plant has a single spec of soil on it. The plants aren't even being exported into the Republic of Ireland. The "breach" has zero impact on the EU beyond being used as an excuse to further delay the ratification of the deal that some countries aren't happy with.
Correction Rob.
All 27 head of states have ratified on behalf of their own parliaments.
The Eu parliament has not yet ratified because they needed further time for scrutiny.
Rightly so for something as big as this.
Ultimately, they will ratify because they are no more than a talking shop and always bow to the Commission.

My apologies for the correction on a COVID thread.

The reason why this argument is never damaging to the government is because 99% of MPs vote for their pay rises on the basis that the recommendations are by an independent body and is therefore "fair". The only MPs who vote against the rise are relative unknowns who are using it as a "I'm a man of the common folk" PR stunt knowing the rise will go through anyway.

In terms of part a), the government might actually be helped if the Royal College of Nursing carrying out plans to strike having demanded an unreasonable 12.5% pay rise.

Ho ho ho you must be advusing them. Utterly out of touch and partial. 12-5% is a calculation of what has been lost due to the pay freeze and is designed to draw attention to that. A 1% rise still represents a cut for a group of workers who were promised better.

If they go on strike, repeat if, it will not be for a 12.5% rise but against the 1%. I won't be at all surprised if somewhere along the line a one off payment is made to front line workers in an attempt to head off trouble. Johnson will of course claim that he had been planning on doing that all along.

Ho ho. That's an embarassing response to copy Johnson's pathetic attempt at a jibe.

Just one example for starters. Fiasco just before Xmas. Starmer calling for lockdown/tougher measures Johnson "cruel to cancel Xmas". 3 days later Johnson does what Starmer called for IN ADVANCE.

As I've said before, every previous Tory leader in my lifetime would have dealt with this better and had a better bunch of cabinet members around him/her.

You can't deal with an ecomomy and worldwide virus with boosterism, enhanced cronyism and duplicity.
I'm not embarrassed.

Ho ho ho you must be advusing them. Utterly out of touch and partial. 12-5% is a calculation of what has been lost due to the pay freeze and is designed to draw attention to that. A 1% rise still represents a cut for a group of workers who were promised better.

If they go on strike, repeat if, it will not be for a 12.5% rise but against the 1%. I won't be at all surprised if somewhere along the line a one off payment is made to front line workers in an attempt to head off trouble. Johnson will of course claim that he had been planning on doing that all along.
Nurses are in a union and can take industrial action, so why don't they?
At least they have that choice.

BTW, has Christmas come early? Just wondered why all the ho ho ho's from you and 58.

That's what I'm hoping and half expecting. Give it a couple of years when the honeymoon peeiod is over. Johnson can then f off and "earn" pots of money writing more sh#t and some poor sod will have to pick up the pieces.

I see he wants to breach the agreement with the EU again. Haven't heard his supportive mates in the press criticise this breach but they went hysterical when the EU threatened (wrongly of course) to do this for one day until they saw sense.

Embarassing to have this charlatan as our PM.

Hope you are right and I think Johnson will be gone in 12 months but I'm still convinced this country will vote another Tory government in come the next election

For whatever reason people just don't seem to trust Labour. I think Corbyn would have been a disaster in this pandemic. A real rabbit in headlights but surely the public can see through this charlatan.

Contracts awarded to donors, donors offering to do up his government flat (what does he need to give in return ?).

An election tomorrow and people would still vote the Tories in. Absolutely crazy world when they are still seen to be trusted by the public .

Hope you are right and I think Johnson will be gone in 12 months but I'm still convinced this country will vote another Tory government in come the next election

For whatever reason people just don't seem to trust Labour. I think Corbyn would have been a disaster in this pandemic. A real rabbit in headlights but surely the public can see through this charlatan.

Contracts awarded to donors, donors offering to do up his government flat (what does he need to give in return ?).

An election tomorrow and people would still vote the Tories in. Absolutely crazy world when they are still seen to be trusted by the public .
Agree, including about Corbyn, unfortunatey,(although we wouldn't have had the lies and cronyism).

Last edited: