Covid, Phase II. Commonsense is the order of the day. | Page 78 | Vital Football

Covid, Phase II. Commonsense is the order of the day.

Don't worry guys the US will.....LOL....ok sorry yeah we will continue to fuck this all up.

Sorry world.

I was about to apologise to you for not allowing you to get your hands on Julian Assange, but then I read this;

Against other countries progress with this who would believe we almost look like the shining example of organisation !!

The vaccine blame game

In the week since our last newsletter, U.S. distribution of coronavirus vaccines has descended into turmoil. Now, millions of vaccines could expire before they reach people in need.
The Trump administration predicted 20 million people would receive at least one dose of a Covid-19 vaccine by the end of 2020. The final figure was about four million. And only 365,294 people in nursing homes and long-term-care centers have been vaccinated, despite more than 2.5 million doses distributed for those facilities, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported.
Critics say the U.S. government has mismanaged the rollout from top to bottom. Federal, state, and local officials blamed each other for botched logistics and funding shortfalls.
State officials — struggling to handle outbreaks, mass testing campaigns, overflowing intensive care units and uncertain contact tracing — say they need more help from the federal government. And local governments are chafing at state restrictions.
In New York City, only 110,000 people have received a vaccine dose — about a quarter of the total number received by the city. Mayor Bill de Blasio called on the state government — which has limited vaccinations to health care workers and those living and working at nursing homes — to allow older people and essential workers to receive the vaccine.
Gov. Andrew Cuomo asserted that the problem was a local issue, and urging Mr. de Blasio and other local leaders to take “personal responsibility” for their performance. Mr. Cuomo also threatened to fine hospitals if they did not step up the vaccination rate.
The $900 billion federal pandemic relief package will provide an additional $9 billion toward vaccination costs. But funds will arrive long after local health departments have started vaccinating residents. Slowdowns touch almost every part of the country.
  • In Puerto Rico, a shipment of vaccines did not arrive until the workers who would have administered them had left for the Christmas holiday.
  • In Houston, the city health department’s phone system crashed on the first day of a free vaccination clinic, after receiving more than 250,000 calls.
  • In Tennessee, older people lined up on a sidewalk, leaning on walkers and wrapping themselves in blankets while they waited for a county health department to open its free clinic. The clinic exhausted its supply of vaccine before 10 a.m.
  • In Florida, vaccine rollout sites continue to be overwhelmed in some places, with people waiting for hours. Gov. Ron DeSantis said hospitals may have future supplies of coronavirus vaccine reduced if they do not administer doses quickly enough.
The U.S. is not alone: The Netherlands and France are just two of several countries that have been slow to roll out vaccinations. But the level of disorder in the U.S., as with the virus’s toll, seems unique.
You can follow the U.S. rollout with our vaccine tracker.

Last edited:
Where did that come from , H ?
Well there was a post from thtfdc? That had a long video of vaccine and pandemic deniers doing their thing but I guess it was deleted.

Whilst I disagreed with the views expressed, I don’t think it should have been deleted...if we are not intelligent enough to dismiss the views expressed then we deserve all we get, but that’s just my view...Given EX’s experiences with Covid though I can see why it was deleted.

Well there was a post from thtfdc? That had a long video of vaccine and pandemic deniers doing their thing but I guess it was deleted.

Whilst I disagreed with the views expressed, I don’t think it should have been deleted...if we are not intelligent enough to dismiss the views expressed then we deserve all we get, but that’s just my view...Given EX’s experiences with Covid though I can see why it was deleted.

I deleted it, sorry free speech or not, I will not have that garbage on this thread.

New SARS-CoV-2 variant is infecting a greater proportion of younger individuals

• MRC Centre for Global Infectious Disease Analysis
    A new pre-print study suggests that the new variant of SARS-CoV-2 termed Variant of Concern (VOC) 202012/01 is significantly more transmissible than other variants and is infecting a greater proportion of younger individuals in England.

A team of researchers at the Imperial College London, the University of Edinburgh, Public Health England, the Wellcome Sanger Institute, the University of Birmingham and the COVID-19 Genomics UK (COG-UK) Consortium+ investigated the relationship between transmission and the frequency of the new SARS-CoV-2 variant across the UK over time.

The findings show that the VOC 202012/01 has a transmission advantage of 0.4-0.7 difference in reproduction number (R0) compared with a non-VOC variant, with the R0 varying between 1.4 and 1.8. Higher levels of infection have been seen despite the stricter social distancing measures in England. The study also indicates that individuals aged <20 years old constitute a higher proportion of VOC cases than non-VOC cases.

Dr Erik Volz from the Imperial College London said: “We find overwhelming evidence of a change in transmissibility of the B.1.1.7 variant that should be taken into account when planning our COVID-19 response in the new year.”

It's entirely ones choice to decide their views or beliefs etc. Although the narratives are heavily controlled as we can see from society, media etc.

Surely we can at least acknowledge the many medics/doctors/pros/researcher's etc. who are presenting this information and keep an open mind

It's entirely ones choice to decide their views or beliefs etc. Although the narratives are heavily controlled as we can see from society, media etc.

Surely we can at least acknowledge the many medics/doctors/pros/researcher's etc. who are presenting this information and keep an open mind

You can if you wish, but I have worked a lifetime to confront deniers, conspiracy nuts and have shamed them all - with logic, with the scientific method and verifiable facts - not made up opinions based on warped minds and self-serving 'trufers' . People tend to forget that these anti-lockdown, anti-covid nutters cost lives, so no thanks, post it somewhere else.

I will not have this place infected by this crap - if you want to post it on social media, please do and see how far you get.

Last edited:
Sorry EX....I respect your opinions but have to say that a lot if the stuff from the government over this whole period has been bs served up as facts, but it still makes it onto here.

It’s one thing to disagree, quite another to censor.

id like to thank you for the help you have given me and others, and your generosity to everyone (Jose excepted) but I feel I have to leave now...so please delete my account.

Thanks for everything

Harry

You can if you wish, but I have worked a lifetime to confront deniers, conspiracy nuts and have shamed them all - with logic, with the scientific method and verifiable facts - not made up opinions based on warped minds and self-serving 'trufers' . People tend to forget that these anti-lockdown, anti-covid nutters cost lives, so no thanks, post it somewhere else.

I will not have this place infected by this crap - if you want to post it on social media, please do and see how far you get.
Only certain opinions matter? I guess the many lives lost and affected from opposing opinions eg vaccines etc. Are forgotten too or do not count, that's fair enough

Sorry EX....I respect your opinions but have to say that a lot if the stuff from the government over this whole period has been bs served up as facts, but it still makes it onto here.

id like to thank you for the help you have given me and others, and your generosity to everyone (Jose excepted) but I feel I have to leave now...so please delete my account.

Thanks for everything

Harry
Jesus Harry, agree you have your opinion, but I think I speak for the many, do not leave.

Thanks for everything

Harry

Harry, I can't delete accounts only the site owner can. I can only moderate this site.

For the record, I know for a 'fact' that everytime that post appears on social media it is deleted as it is a lie and has been fact checked many times; we have a duty of care here, so I suspect the only reason it was posted here was because the poster knows it will be deleted anywhere else that's open to all to view.

I see no reason why we shouldnt maintain the same high standards.

Last edited:
Only certain opinions matter? I guess the many lives lost and affected from opposing opinions eg vaccines etc. Are forgotten too or do not count, that's fair enough

As I said, go post them on social media sites and see how long they stay there; we have a duty not to progmulate nonsense - it's why Facebook/Youtube et al have come under so much scrutiny to not allow these nutcase conspiracies and false claims be allowed to remain - you'll find your post will get factchecked there and then deleted.

Thanks for everything

Harry
I hope you'll reconsider Harry.

First and foremost this is a Spurs forum. It would be a shame to lose your insightful and knowledgeable thoughts over a non-football topic.

Last edited:
I too, hope you will reconsider Hari. I value your posts and thoroughly enjoy our back and forth. :thumbup:

It may be time to close this thread, or at least move it to "Off Topic" as this topic and the opinions around it are becoming more diverse.

I too, hope you will reconsider Hari. I value your posts and thoroughly enjoy our back and forth. :thumbup:

It may be time to close this thread, or at least move it to "Off Topic" as this topic and the opinions around it are becoming more diverse.

In all this time we've only had one post supporting some of these wackjob video's still trying to do the rounds; it's been roundly condemned and fact checked - it's not allowed on any public social media, it's claim have been fact checked many many times and then it's deleted.

I see no reason at all why we should give this sort of nonsense a platform here, none at all. At this critical time, we have to stand up to those who want to undermine the vaccines, as this did with silly outrageous claims.

It's shame to lose Hari, but that is his right and is his choice and I can only assume he uses no other social media or he'd have to resign from using any of them as well.

Last edited:
Shame Hari has gone. I guess the real isssue us that a number of threads have emerged due to the virus and lockdown and so we have created a little monster in terms of dicscussing 'good morning stuff' whicuh in the main is harmless fun and keeps most of us saner than we would be otherwise and of coure the Covid thread which evolved for obvious reasons..
Tthe real issue is that there are many social media sites where one can voice ones opinion rightly or wrongly on wider issues over and above football, and that all this mayhem has deflected a few threads away from the root of this site which is football and spurs....the price we pay for the diversion is Hari for example. Hope he returns when we can delete the good morning and covid threads and just talk (in the main) all things SPURS.

Bonjour Hari as Delboy would say...its been a pleasure.

Some interesting questions from today's briefing. One in particular was the decision to increase the second dose gap to 12 weeks. It seems a lot of thought was given and the figures weighed up. Chris Whitty justified the decision by explaining that even if only 50 % effectiveness is achieved it will have been the right way forward.

6:31PM
WHO experts investigating origins of pandemic unable to enter China at last minute
A World Health Organization team of experts investigating the origins of the Covid-19 pandemic has been unable to enter China at the last minute.
WHO chief Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus told a WHO press briefing that Chinese officials had not finalised the "necessary permissions" for the international scientific team on Covid-19, which was due to arrive in the country over the next day or so.
Dr Tedros said he was "very disappointed" with the news, as two members of the team had already begun their journeys.
"I have been in contact with senior Chinese officials and I have once again made it clear that the mission is a priority for WHO... I have been assured that China is speeding up the internal procedure of the earliest possible deployment. We're eager to get the mission underway as soon as possible."
Dr Mike Ryan, assistant director general for emergencies at WHO, said the delay was due to visa clearances. He said Dr Tedros had "impressed on Chinese officials" the critical nature of the mission. "We hope that this is just a logistic and bureaucratic issue that can be resolved very quickly," he said.

Some interesting questions from today's briefing. One in particular was the decision to increase the second dose gap to 12 weeks. It seems a lot of thought was given and the figures weighed up. Chris Whitty justified the decision by explaining that even if only 50 % effectiveness is achieved it will have been the right way forward.

Prof Whitty said that extending the gap between the first and second jabs would mean the number of people vaccinated can be doubled over three months, after being asked whether the longer gap could lead to an increase risk in an "escape mutant".
It is a worry, but a "small real worry", he said.
"If over that period there is more than 50 per cent protection then you have actually won. More people will have been protected than would have been otherwise," he told a No 10 news conference.
"Our quite strong view is that protection is likely to be lot more than 50 per cent."
The public health arguments are in favour of this approach, Prof Whitty added.

Prof Whitty said that extending the gap between the first and second jabs would mean the number of people vaccinated can be doubled over three months, after being asked whether the longer gap could lead to an increase risk in an "escape mutant".
It is a worry, but a "small real worry", he said.
"If over that period there is more than 50 per cent protection then you have actually won. More people will have been protected than would have been otherwise," he told a No 10 news conference.
"Our quite strong view is that protection is likely to be lot more than 50 per cent."
The public health arguments are in favour of this approach, Prof Whitty added.

This is why I didnt get too hung up on whether the protection was 80% , 62 % or whatever. Even at 50 % its positive. Also it's too soon to forecast the actual protection % until vaccinations are in full swing and after a decent time measure. They can only predict a % at the moment.

This is why I didnt get too hung up on whether the protection was 80% , 62 % or whatever. Even at 50 % its positive. Also it's too soon to forecast the actual protection % until vaccinations are in full swing and after a decent time measure. They can only predict a % at the moment.

In my opinion, you ideally wouldn't renege on a commitment already made. My parents were notified in mid December and had the first dose on New Years Day knowing the second would be 3 weeks away. Is it now fair to let this age group be subsequently told that the 21st Jan date for the second dose is moving to the end of March? Not for me.

I'm OK with the science informing a change in strategy but it should only be for people entering the communication and expectations process. It's as a much a mental health journey as as physical health one.

I also wonder whether it makes sense to get a section of the population through the 3 week process as that creates a completely different set of data from the 12 weeks process. Thats surely informs the science better.