Covid, Phase II. Commonsense is the order of the day. | Page 4 | Vital Football

Covid, Phase II. Commonsense is the order of the day.

How do you deal with someone who has a sense of entitlement. They can't be reasoned with. Now multiply that by xxx & you have your monster in the room. Complain all we might this problem won't be going away anytime soon.

Selfish and Scum seem too light to describe these horrible sub humans.

I honestly didn't think people had such disregard for our land. Handle this in the appropriate way and the problem will go away.

CCTV, rubbish police (for want of a better word) and public education.

Not saying Australia is perfect, but this is a problem we don't have. If anyone so much as throws a cigarette but from a car window, and is caught by dash cam or any other means by the public of private sector, they are issue with a $350 fine.

Our citizens are vigilant to littering. It's not uncommon to be confronted by a passer by or anyone that witnesses the dumping of rubbish.

I actually received a $700 fine in the mail for 2 people throwing butts out their window from the same car. The car belonged to one of my sons, however was registered in my name. Not only did I not know he smoked, but was disappointed that a child of mine could do this. He hadn't lived with me since he was 11 years old. His mother left me in 2001 along with our twins. This was a consequence of not have a father figure I guess.

Any, I digress.

PIGS!

Part I - Man made?!!

Well as many of us suspected; someone of some credibility is also claiming that it escaped from a lab in wuhan....

However, it's time for an about face for me, as the first set of Scientists in the World to find evidence that it was manipulated from animals is about to be published (previously there was complete unanimity that this wasn't the case)....

If this gets subsequently proved as accurate by other scientific studies (as they will have to do for this report to be credible) - this will have an absolute bombshell impact......

A former head of MI6 has said he believes the coronavirus pandemic "started as an accident" when the virus escaped from a laboratory in China.
In an interview with The Telegraph, Sir Richard Dearlove said he had seen an "important" new scientific report suggesting the virus did not emerge naturally but was man-made by Chinese scientists.

The apparent discovery will raise the prospect of China paying "reparations" for the death and economic catastrophe wreaked upon the world, the former intelligence chief said. It comes as Beijing faces growing pressure to explain precisely how coronavirus first began to spread late last year.
International scientists have reached a near-unanimous consensus, however, that the virus emerged in animals – most likely bats or pangolins – before jumping to the human population.

But Sir Richard, 75, pointed to a scientific paper published this week by a Norwegian-British research team who claim to have discovered clues within Covid-19's genetic sequence suggesting key elements were "inserted" and may not have evolved naturally.

From the outset, the Chinese government has endeavoured to "lock down" any debate about the origins of the virus and Beijing's handling of the crisis, he claimed.

"I do think that this started as an accident," Sir Richard told The Telegraph's new Planet Normal podcast (listen through the player at the top of this story). "It raises the issue, if China ever were to admit responsibility, does it pay reparations? I think it will make every country in the world rethink how it treats its relationship with China and how the international community behaves towards the Chinese leadership."

Sir Richard, who was the head of MI6 between 1999 and 2004, cited startling new peer-reviewed research produced by Professor Angus Dalgleish, of St George's Hospital at the University of London, and the Norwegian virologist Birger Sorensen.
In their paper, the scientists claim to have identified "inserted sections placed on the SARS-CoV-2 Spike surface" that explain how the virus binds itself to human cells.
"The SARS-CoV-2 spike is significantly different from any other Sars that we have studied," the paper says.

It warns that current efforts to develop a vaccine are destined for failure because the true aetiology of the virus has been misunderstood. To remedy the problem, the researchers are developing their own vaccine, produced by Immunor AS, a Norwegian pharmaceutical company led by Mr Sorensen.

Sir Richard described the study as "a very important contribution to a debate which is now starting about how the virus evolved and how it got out and broke out as a pandemic", adding: "I think this particular article is very important, and I think it will shift the debate."
TELEMMGLPICT000005693544_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqUNR7fVA0ipkTYIKx6jAjz9lWisdcFsV0HTSsPkMmKEE.jpegimwidth=480

He revealed that the Dalgleish/Sorensen paper had been rewritten several times. An earlier version, seen by The Telegraph, concluded that coronavirus should correctly be called "Wuhan virus" and claimed to have proven "beyond reasonable doubt that the Covid-19 virus is engineered".

"We are aware that these findings could have political significance and raise troubling questions," the authors originally wrote. The paper was widely circulated behind the scenes after being distributed for peer review, while intelligence officials reportedly examined its findings.

However, one of the authors, John Fredrik Moxnes, the chief scientific adviser to the Norwegian military, asked for his name to be withdrawn from the research, throwing its credibility into doubt. Scientists from the Francis Crick Institute and Imperial College London also dismissed its conclusions, it is understood.
Correspondence seen by The Telegraph shows that, in April, the initial paper was rejected by leading academic journals including Nature and the Journal of Virology, which deemed the research "unsuitable for publication".
Much of the paper was watered down to remove explicit accusations against China, and the rewritten study was then judged to be of sufficient scientific merit to be accepted for publication in the Quarterly Review of Biophysics Discovery, a journal chaired by leading scientists from Stanford University and the University of Dundee.

A further analysis produced by Prof Dalgleish and his colleagues, due for release in the coming days, claims the Covid-19 virus has "unique fingerprints" that cannot have evolved naturally and are instead "indicative of purposive manipulation".

Entitled "A Reconstructed Historical Aetiology of the SARS-CoV-2 Spike", the new study, seen by The Telegraph, suggests the virus is "remarkably well-adapted virus for human co-existence" and is likely to be the result of a Wuhan lab experiment to produce "chimeric viruses of high potency".

The paper concludes: "Henceforth, those who would maintain that the Covid-19 pandemic arose from zoonotic transfer need to explain precisely why this more parsimonious account is wrong before asserting that their evidence is persuasive, most especially when, as we also show, there are puzzling errors in their use of evidence."

The paper has not yet been accepted for publication in any scientific journal.
"This [the first] article was submitted to a… journal, which refused it within a week of receiving it, and in the same period accepted for publication two or three Chinese articles that relate to the virus, within 48 hours," Sir Richard said.
"So I mean, as this debate about the virus develops, I think all this material is going to be in print and is going to embarrass a number of people, I think. Let's suggest that the Chinese maybe have too much say in their journals, in what appears and what doesn't."

part II

Wuhan Seafood Market, where experts believe the outbreak started, was sealed off by authorities in the city Credit: Sophia Yan
The Chinese government has always insisted that the outbreak began in a "wet market" in the city of Wuhan late last year. But critics have questioned why some early human cases and their contacts appeared to have no connection to the area.
Two laboratories in Wuhan studying bat coronaviruses – the Wuhan Institute of Virology and the Wuhan Centre for Disease Control – have been suggested as the possible true sources of the outbreak.

Sir Richard suggested scientists may have been conducting secret gene-splicing experiments on bat coronaviruses when Covid-19 somehow escaped through a lapse in biosecurity.

"It's a risky business if you make a mistake," he said. "Look at the stories... of the attempts by the leadership to lockdown any debate about the origins of the pandemic and the way that people have been arrested or silenced.
"I mean, we shouldn't really have any doubt any longer about what we're dealing with."

Sir Richard said he did not believe the Chinese had released the virus deliberately, but accused Beijing of subsequently covering up the scale of its spread.

"Of course, the Chinese must have felt, well, if they've got to suffer a pandemic maybe we shouldn't try too hard to stop, as it were, our competitors suffering the same disadvantages we've got," he said.

"Look, the Chinese understand us extremely well. They have made a study of us over the last decade or longer, particularly through attending our universities. We understand the Chinese very poorly. It's an imbalanced relationship in that respect."

Last month, the US Secretary of State, Mike Pompeo, claimed there was "enormous evidence" that the coronavirus outbreak originated in a Chinese laboratory, but did not provide any proof. However, the US National Intelligence Director's office later said it had determined that Covid-19 "was not manmade or genetically modified".

During a television interview on May 9, Matt Hancock, the Health Secretary, said: "We don't have any evidence that this is a man-made coronavirus."

Matt Hancock said: 'We don't have any evidence that this is a man-made coronavirus.' Credit: Shutterstock
Scientists analysing Covid-19 have also reported no signs that the genetic sequence was manipulated or distorted in any way. Nevertheless, Beijing is facing growing pressure to reveal everything it knows about the origins of Covid-19 amid accusations that the rest of the world may have been misled.
Sir Richard praised the Australian government for leading calls for an official inquiry after Scott Morrison, the Prime Minister, suggested that the World Health Organisation needed tough new "weapons inspector" powers to investigate the origins of Covid-19.

"I think it's very courageous of the Australians to take China on," Sir Richard said. "I mean, there's an obvious, huge imbalance in terms of power, both economic and military and political, but they are showing the way. You have to have a critical relationship with China."

He urged the UK Government to abandon plans to allow the Chinese telecoms firm Huawei to have a role in building Britain's new 5G network, and to reduce the reliance on Chinese factories to make cheap personal protective equipment (PPE) for frontline NHS health workers.

"We need to go into reverse," he said. "It's important that we do not put any of our critical infrastructure in the hands of Chinese interests. So telecommunications, Huawei, nuclear power stations, and then things that, you know, we require and need in a crisis, like PPE.

"We have allowed China so much rope that we are now suffering the consequences, and it's time to pull the rope in and to tighten the way we do business. It's very, very important that we keep a keen eye on this and do not allow the Chinese to, as it were, benefit strategically from this situation that has been imposed on all of us."

Sir Richard criticised George Osborne, the former Chancellor, for proclaiming that Britain would be China's "best partner in the West" during a charm offensive in September 2015.

"I think the problem with young politicians, and when he was in office he was young, is that they lack experience and they lack depth of knowledge, and I don't think that George Osborne really understood what the leadership of a real communist party is like," Sir Richard said.

"I spent most of my career dealing with the issue of communism, with the autocratic nature of the way that these parties are run and their immense disregard for law, for human rights, for all of these areas, and I mean George Osborne just conveniently disregarded all of that."

Earlier this week, Liu Xiaoming, the Chinese ambassador to the UK, said Beijing would welcome an international investigation into the origins of the pandemic, insisting his country had nothing to hide.
"China's record is clean. It can stand the test of time and history," he said.

Selfish and Scum seem too light to describe these horrible sub humans.

I honestly didn't think people had such disregard for our land. Handle this in the appropriate way and the problem will go away.

CCTV, rubbish police (for want of a better word) and public education.

Not saying Australia is perfect, but this is a problem we don't have. If anyone so much as throws a cigarette but from a car window, and is caught by dash cam or any other means by the public of private sector, they are issue with a $350 fine.

Our citizens are vigilant to littering. It's not uncommon to be confronted by a passer by or anyone that witnesses the dumping of rubbish.

I actually received a $700 fine in the mail for 2 people throwing butts out their window from the same car. The car belonged to one of my sons, however was registered in my name. Not only did I not know he smoked, but was disappointed that a child of mine could do this. He hadn't lived with me since he was 11 years old. His mother left me in 2001 along with our twins. This was a consequence of not have a father figure I guess.

Any, I digress.

PIGS!
It does seem to be a cultural thing. My parents were Irish. As a kid we used to go over there every summer. At that time they used to have the 'cleanest village in Ireland' competition. One year (I was about 10 or 11, I think) there was a large group of us outside a shop and I dropped/threw a sweet wrapper on the ground (coming from London it was quite normal - at least where I lived). One fiery, young Irish girl of a similar age, had an apoplectic fit and tore me to shreds. It is still probably the most humiliating experience of my life. But it just wasn't the done thing over there. At least in those days.

It does seem to be a cultural thing. My parents were Irish. As a kid we used to go over there every summer. At that time they used to have the 'cleanest village in Ireland' competition. One year (I was about 10 or 11, I think) there was a large group of us outside a shop and I dropped/threw a sweet wrapper on the ground (coming from London it was quite normal - at least where I lived). One fiery, young Irish girl of a similar age, had an apoplectic fit and tore me to shreds. It is still probably the most humiliating experience of my life. But it just wasn't the done thing over there. At least in those days.
They still hold a "Tidy Towns" competition,nationwide,every year Gary. It's part of our Culture at this stage but since lockdown, theres been an increase in litter across the country which is a shame.

They still hold a "Tidy Towns" competition,nationwide,every year Gary. It's part of our Culture at this stage but since lockdown, theres been an increase in litter across the country which is a shame.
It taught me a lesson Vinnie. Mind you, I probably shouldn't be blaming my fellow Londoners for my own bad habits. I certainly didn't get it from my parents.

Why would there be an increase during lockdown? You'd think it would the opposite.

I think/know the "lets not keep Britain tidy" has been around for years and years, no respect etc.

When I traveled to the States on a regular basis with my wife, Philly, Florida, Texas to name 3, the main comment from her was "how clean it was litter wise" and on returning through either Gatwick or Heathrow, it would be "we are back in the s**t hole", why has our land become so litter bound, what has caused it?

part II

Wuhan Seafood Market, where experts believe the outbreak started, was sealed off by authorities in the city Credit: Sophia Yan
The Chinese government has always insisted that the outbreak began in a "wet market" in the city of Wuhan late last year. But critics have questioned why some early human cases and their contacts appeared to have no connection to the area.
Two laboratories in Wuhan studying bat coronaviruses – the Wuhan Institute of Virology and the Wuhan Centre for Disease Control – have been suggested as the possible true sources of the outbreak.

Sir Richard suggested scientists may have been conducting secret gene-splicing experiments on bat coronaviruses when Covid-19 somehow escaped through a lapse in biosecurity.

"It's a risky business if you make a mistake," he said. "Look at the stories... of the attempts by the leadership to lockdown any debate about the origins of the pandemic and the way that people have been arrested or silenced.
"I mean, we shouldn't really have any doubt any longer about what we're dealing with."

Sir Richard said he did not believe the Chinese had released the virus deliberately, but accused Beijing of subsequently covering up the scale of its spread.

"Of course, the Chinese must have felt, well, if they've got to suffer a pandemic maybe we shouldn't try too hard to stop, as it were, our competitors suffering the same disadvantages we've got," he said.

"Look, the Chinese understand us extremely well. They have made a study of us over the last decade or longer, particularly through attending our universities. We understand the Chinese very poorly. It's an imbalanced relationship in that respect."

Last month, the US Secretary of State, Mike Pompeo, claimed there was "enormous evidence" that the coronavirus outbreak originated in a Chinese laboratory, but did not provide any proof. However, the US National Intelligence Director's office later said it had determined that Covid-19 "was not manmade or genetically modified".

During a television interview on May 9, Matt Hancock, the Health Secretary, said: "We don't have any evidence that this is a man-made coronavirus."

Matt Hancock said: 'We don't have any evidence that this is a man-made coronavirus.' Credit: Shutterstock
Scientists analysing Covid-19 have also reported no signs that the genetic sequence was manipulated or distorted in any way. Nevertheless, Beijing is facing growing pressure to reveal everything it knows about the origins of Covid-19 amid accusations that the rest of the world may have been misled.
Sir Richard praised the Australian government for leading calls for an official inquiry after Scott Morrison, the Prime Minister, suggested that the World Health Organisation needed tough new "weapons inspector" powers to investigate the origins of Covid-19.

"I think it's very courageous of the Australians to take China on," Sir Richard said. "I mean, there's an obvious, huge imbalance in terms of power, both economic and military and political, but they are showing the way. You have to have a critical relationship with China."

He urged the UK Government to abandon plans to allow the Chinese telecoms firm Huawei to have a role in building Britain's new 5G network, and to reduce the reliance on Chinese factories to make cheap personal protective equipment (PPE) for frontline NHS health workers.

"We need to go into reverse," he said. "It's important that we do not put any of our critical infrastructure in the hands of Chinese interests. So telecommunications, Huawei, nuclear power stations, and then things that, you know, we require and need in a crisis, like PPE.

"We have allowed China so much rope that we are now suffering the consequences, and it's time to pull the rope in and to tighten the way we do business. It's very, very important that we keep a keen eye on this and do not allow the Chinese to, as it were, benefit strategically from this situation that has been imposed on all of us."

Sir Richard criticised George Osborne, the former Chancellor, for proclaiming that Britain would be China's "best partner in the West" during a charm offensive in September 2015.

"I think the problem with young politicians, and when he was in office he was young, is that they lack experience and they lack depth of knowledge, and I don't think that George Osborne really understood what the leadership of a real communist party is like," Sir Richard said.

"I spent most of my career dealing with the issue of communism, with the autocratic nature of the way that these parties are run and their immense disregard for law, for human rights, for all of these areas, and I mean George Osborne just conveniently disregarded all of that."

Earlier this week, Liu Xiaoming, the Chinese ambassador to the UK, said Beijing would welcome an international investigation into the origins of the pandemic, insisting his country had nothing to hide.
"China's record is clean. It can stand the test of time and history," he said.
Interesting stuff....whether this virus was a result of manipulation or not it seems that the scientific community are admitting that viruses can be be modified....it also highlights the role of governments controlling the media for their own political purposes as we have already seen with so much of the media coverage and suppression of alternative views and scientific studies.....I’m betting these guys are about to be royally trashed because the implications of what they are claiming is so explosive.

Part I - Man made?!!

Well as many of us suspected; someone of some credibility is also claiming that it escaped from a lab in wuhan....

However, it's time for an about face for me, as the first set of Scientists in the World to find evidence that it was manipulated from animals is about to be published (previously there was complete unanimity that this wasn't the case)....

If this gets subsequently proved as accurate by other scientific studies (as they will have to do for this report to be credible) - this will have an absolute bombshell impact......

A former head of MI6 has said he believes the coronavirus pandemic "started as an accident" when the virus escaped from a laboratory in China.
In an interview with The Telegraph, Sir Richard Dearlove said he had seen an "important" new scientific report suggesting the virus did not emerge naturally but was man-made by Chinese scientists.

The apparent discovery will raise the prospect of China paying "reparations" for the death and economic catastrophe wreaked upon the world, the former intelligence chief said. It comes as Beijing faces growing pressure to explain precisely how coronavirus first began to spread late last year.
International scientists have reached a near-unanimous consensus, however, that the virus emerged in animals – most likely bats or pangolins – before jumping to the human population.

But Sir Richard, 75, pointed to a scientific paper published this week by a Norwegian-British research team who claim to have discovered clues within Covid-19's genetic sequence suggesting key elements were "inserted" and may not have evolved naturally.

From the outset, the Chinese government has endeavoured to "lock down" any debate about the origins of the virus and Beijing's handling of the crisis, he claimed.

"I do think that this started as an accident," Sir Richard told The Telegraph's new Planet Normal podcast (listen through the player at the top of this story). "It raises the issue, if China ever were to admit responsibility, does it pay reparations? I think it will make every country in the world rethink how it treats its relationship with China and how the international community behaves towards the Chinese leadership."

Sir Richard, who was the head of MI6 between 1999 and 2004, cited startling new peer-reviewed research produced by Professor Angus Dalgleish, of St George's Hospital at the University of London, and the Norwegian virologist Birger Sorensen.
In their paper, the scientists claim to have identified "inserted sections placed on the SARS-CoV-2 Spike surface" that explain how the virus binds itself to human cells.
"The SARS-CoV-2 spike is significantly different from any other Sars that we have studied," the paper says.

It warns that current efforts to develop a vaccine are destined for failure because the true aetiology of the virus has been misunderstood. To remedy the problem, the researchers are developing their own vaccine, produced by Immunor AS, a Norwegian pharmaceutical company led by Mr Sorensen.

Sir Richard described the study as "a very important contribution to a debate which is now starting about how the virus evolved and how it got out and broke out as a pandemic", adding: "I think this particular article is very important, and I think it will shift the debate."
TELEMMGLPICT000005693544_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqUNR7fVA0ipkTYIKx6jAjz9lWisdcFsV0HTSsPkMmKEE.jpegimwidth=480

He revealed that the Dalgleish/Sorensen paper had been rewritten several times. An earlier version, seen by The Telegraph, concluded that coronavirus should correctly be called "Wuhan virus" and claimed to have proven "beyond reasonable doubt that the Covid-19 virus is engineered".

"We are aware that these findings could have political significance and raise troubling questions," the authors originally wrote. The paper was widely circulated behind the scenes after being distributed for peer review, while intelligence officials reportedly examined its findings.

However, one of the authors, John Fredrik Moxnes, the chief scientific adviser to the Norwegian military, asked for his name to be withdrawn from the research, throwing its credibility into doubt. Scientists from the Francis Crick Institute and Imperial College London also dismissed its conclusions, it is understood.
Correspondence seen by The Telegraph shows that, in April, the initial paper was rejected by leading academic journals including Nature and the Journal of Virology, which deemed the research "unsuitable for publication".
Much of the paper was watered down to remove explicit accusations against China, and the rewritten study was then judged to be of sufficient scientific merit to be accepted for publication in the Quarterly Review of Biophysics Discovery, a journal chaired by leading scientists from Stanford University and the University of Dundee.

A further analysis produced by Prof Dalgleish and his colleagues, due for release in the coming days, claims the Covid-19 virus has "unique fingerprints" that cannot have evolved naturally and are instead "indicative of purposive manipulation".

Entitled "A Reconstructed Historical Aetiology of the SARS-CoV-2 Spike", the new study, seen by The Telegraph, suggests the virus is "remarkably well-adapted virus for human co-existence" and is likely to be the result of a Wuhan lab experiment to produce "chimeric viruses of high potency".

The paper concludes: "Henceforth, those who would maintain that the Covid-19 pandemic arose from zoonotic transfer need to explain precisely why this more parsimonious account is wrong before asserting that their evidence is persuasive, most especially when, as we also show, there are puzzling errors in their use of evidence."

The paper has not yet been accepted for publication in any scientific journal.
"This [the first] article was submitted to a… journal, which refused it within a week of receiving it, and in the same period accepted for publication two or three Chinese articles that relate to the virus, within 48 hours," Sir Richard said.
"So I mean, as this debate about the virus develops, I think all this material is going to be in print and is going to embarrass a number of people, I think. Let's suggest that the Chinese maybe have too much say in their journals, in what appears and what doesn't."
It does also possibly tie in with the observations another scientific group has made about this version of the Corona virus happens to need a completely different protein to replicate that is present everywhere in the human body rather than just the lungs.

It does also possibly tie in with the observations another scientific group has made about this version of the Corona virus happens to need a completely different protein to replicate that is present everywhere in the human body rather than just the lungs.

I wish I'd read the original scientific report first now: the Telegraph have gone for s sensationalist headline;
Having now read the actual paper this story is referring to(there is a link from telegraphs news story) the ex-head of MI6 has formed the conclusion that is was 'man-made' simply from the original papers authors use of the word "inserted".

The actual paper itself was to discuss the approach to vaccines that has to go into the nature of the virus. The actual conclusion from the paper mentions nothing about the virus being manmade.

So I dropped the Uni scientists an email, amazingly got an almost immeadaite response, they're not happy, they have been massively misunderstand and mis-quoted. God give me strength!!

If the virus did come from the wet market, China is still responsible IMO. By allowing the trade of live animals known to carry such viruses in the past. By not having strict hygiene laws in place , by allowing such markets to operate, by allowing the consumption of dangerous disease carrying animals.

If the virus did come from the wet market, China is still responsible IMO. By allowing the trade of live animals known to carry such viruses in the past. By not having strict hygiene laws in place , by allowing such markets to operate, by allowing the consumption of dangerous disease carrying animals.

I still believe what I was told and repeated here, that security at the lab was compromised by those responsible for disposing of the bodies, instead getting a backhander from a stall holder, who probably knew full well where they were from.

And as you say, I too make them fully responsible in exactly the same way for all the same reasons as you.

That said the backlash against China and the way it behaves is now in full swing, including Boris restating our committment to our obligations in HK, and we'll need to be careful now as the Chinese are easily capable of manufacturing an international incident/crisis/confrontation just to distract.

I wish I'd read the original scientific report first now: the Telegraph have gone for s sensationalist headline;
Having now read the actual paper this story is referring to(there is a link from telegraphs news story) the ex-head of MI6 has formed the conclusion that is was 'man-made' simply from the original papers authors use of the word "inserted".

The actual paper itself was to discuss the approach to vaccines that has to go into the nature of the virus. The actual conclusion from the paper mentions nothing about the virus being manmade.

So I dropped the Uni scientists an email, amazingly got an almost immeadaite response, they're not happy, they have been massively misunderstand and mis-quoted. God give me strength!!
Lots of people playing games during this whole saga EX.

AstraZeneca to ramp up supply of potential coronavirus vaccine to 2bn doses

The new deals come in addition to existing agreements AstraZeneca has struck to supply 400m doses to the UK and US

By Hannah Uttley 4 June 2020 • 7:08pm

Britain’s biggest drugmaker will be able to supply 2bn doses of a potential coronavirus vaccine as early as September, double the previous amount it had planned to deliver.
AstraZeneca said it will ramp up delivery after striking new deals to manufacture the vaccine, which is being developed by scientists at the University of Oxford.
The firm has agreed to supply one billion doses of the jab to low and middle-income countries as part of a tie-up with the Serum Institute of India, the world’s largest manufacturer of vaccines by volume.
It has also signed a $750m (£595m) deal with health organisations the Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations (CEPI) and GAVI vaccines alliance - both founded by Bill and Melinda Gates - to produce 300m doses.
AstraZeneca boss Pascal Soriot said he expects to know by August if the vaccine is effective. If it proves successful then the jab could be ready for distribution as early as September - starting in countries including the UK and US.
The new deals come in addition to existing agreements AstraZeneca has struck to supply 400m doses to Britain and America.
CEPI chief executive Richard Hatchett said there is still a possibility the vaccine may not work, but added that the organisation is confident in its success.

He said: “We believe the probability of success is high enough that we are willing to support the manufacturing at risk so that when we do collect the data and it shows the vaccine is both safe and effective we'll be able to move out as quickly as we possibly can."
Mr Soriot added: “The only thing I can tell you for sure is that we're going to give this our best shot and we keep our fingers crossed it will work.”
AstraZeneca plans to prioritise vulnerable people if the vaccine is successful, particularly those who are at most at risk of severe impacts from the disease such as the elderly and people with medical conditions, including hypertension or diabetes.
Some of the one billion doses to be produced by the Serum Institute will be used in India, with the remainder allocated globally depending on the greatest need.
Mr Hatchet admitted there are likely to be “bottlenecks” in the manufacturing process as a global glass shortage is making it more difficult to procure vials needed to deliver the vaccine.
He said: “The more lead time that we can have to address this incredibly complex logistical challenge of delivering a vaccine once we have one, the more likely we are to have countries, ready to receive and deliver the vaccine to their populations.
“Solving the problem of having a vaccine doesn't result in its being delivered. Vaccinating hundreds of millions or billions of people globally over the next one to two to three years, however long it takes, is going to be a massive challenge.”

Bill Gates is baffled by the ‘stupid’ vaccine conspiracy theories about him
webp.net-resizeimage-3-1.jpg

By Andy Meek @aemeek

June 4th, 2020 at 10:39 PM

• Both governments and private entities — like Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates’ family foundation — are continuing to fight the effects of the ongoing pandemic, though the coronavirus’ US toll continues to rise.
  • During a conversation with reporters on Thursday, Gates himself addressed vaccine and coronavirus-related conspiracy theories that have been circulating about him.
  • Gates said the misinformation about him is “so stupid” that it’s hard to figure out how to deny it.
The coronavirus pandemic in the US has had the inadvertent effect of shining a light on something that’s fascinated me for some time now. It’s the second act of Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates, who at 64-years-old has transformed himself from the wonky, acerbic, PC-loving foil to Apple’s Steve Jobs and into one of the leading philanthropists in the world. That’s included committing billions of dollars from his personal fortune, through his family foundation, to advocating for specific issues like enhancing health care around the world. As part of that work, he’s also been a vocal advocate for the last several years about countries needing to take more steps to prepare themselves to fight coming pandemics — and, now that the deadly COVID-19 pandemic is upon us, he’s pumping tens of millions of dollars into the race to find a successful vaccine for the virus. In addition to doing what he can to augment the government’s fight against COVID-19.

Which is why Gates says he kind of can’t understand how he’s become the target of outlandish and moronic conspiracy theories, telling reporters on Thursday that the misinformation that’s out there about him is “so stupid” that it’s hard to know how to address it.

Gates was on a call with reporters ahead of an announcement by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation that it’s pledging another $1.6 billion to the Gavi vaccine alliance — “to deliver lifesaving vaccines to the world’s poorest countries,” according to the foundation. That’s in addition to $100 million set aside specifically for COVID-19 vaccines. “If the current pandemic has reminded us of anything,” Gates’ wife Melinda said, “it’s the importance of vaccinating against deadly diseases. The pledges that leaders are making today will help Gavi save even more lives.”
Meantime, Gates did take a moment Thursday to address some of the bizarre myths about him that have been circulating and finding new audiences since the outbreak of the coronavirus:

The same kind of thing also circulates on Facebook, especially with Facebook groups like this one:
screen-shot-2020-06-04-at-9.04.58-pm.png

During the call with reporters, Gates was asked about a recent Yahoo News/YouGov poll that purported to find 44% of Republicans polled saying they believed the Microsoft co-founder is, according to Yahoo News, “plotting to use a mass COVID-19 vaccination campaign as a pretext to implant microchips in billions of people and monitor their movements.”
Responded Gates on Thursday: “In a way, it’s so bizarre, you almost want to view it as something humorous, but I guess it’s really not a humorous thing. I’ve never been involved in any sort of microchip-type thing.
“It’s almost hard to deny this stuff because it’s so stupid or strange that to even repeat it almost seems to give it credibility.”
Related to this, Gates did allow that while he thought that kind of thing is mostly silly and absurd, he thinks there could be a small chance it actively harms efforts to get a coronavirus ultimately out to everyone who needs it.
“If you don’t get a broad uptake, then you wouldn’t have the dramatic effect you want to have, meaning that the risk of reintroduction is so low that you can go back to having things like big sports events,” Gates said. “The misinformation could hold us back at some point, but I wouldn’t say that that’s hurting us at this stage.”

For the record, I am utterly baffled too...

I also read to today, that after the morons targeting phone masts, now they're targeting the engineers..

How did we allow so many stupid people to be born and breed, or did we just make them all on our own...

I think I might start advocating Eugenics.

For the record, I am utterly baffled too...

I also read to today, that after the morons targeting phone masts, now they're targeting the engineers..

How did we allow so many stupid people to be born and breed, or did we just make them all on our own...

I think I might start advocating Eugenics.
At the risk of pushing another conspiracy theory I think a large part of the reason is the systematic infiltration and corruption of our education system, particularly Universities, by Russia and others....it’s even worse in the States..