Covid, Phase II. Commonsense is the order of the day. | Page 2 | Vital Football

Covid, Phase II. Commonsense is the order of the day.

Just means you haven't got it - be grateful for that and keep calm and carry on!
I thought this test just gives a result that only pertains to the moment the test was taken...ie: he didn’t have on that day but he might have it now.

I understand that is the widespread opinion but wonder if that is based upon work done prior to the discovery that the protein used by Covid-19 to access the body is furin which is contained in every endothelial cell as opposed to previous Corona viruses which use a protein found almost exclusively in the lungs...natural evolution maybe or not?

The cornerstone of science is repeatable observations under any conditions; the issue with any virus is that what we do know is that over time they mutate, so from that simplistic pov it means that constructing a virus of any description would be the ultimate folly; as I said earlier you can't make a virus prejudiced i.e. you cannot make it so that it is selective and favours one set of racial genotypes over another - virus's do not have an 'intelligence' it simply has a RNA strand that causes it's genes to replicate and repeat - they are not programmable. It's a nice fanciful piece of quasi science to claim that they could be, but the best brains in the World have not managed to pull it off.

So there is no repeatable science to support any of the claims and there is even less evidence to even try, the virus is being studied at over 200 of the Worlds top scientific institutions; nothing is being ruled out, but good science is being applied and ruled in.

If you believe and understand the scientific method, (which drives repeatable conclusion science), then any chance of anything being 'manufactured' is to be honest, simply ludicrous in my view and those who study virus's for a career/living.

Last edited:
I thought this test just gives a result that only pertains to the moment the test was taken...ie: he didn’t have on that day but he might have it now.

Any test, can only last for the moment you're in, after that, all bets are off!

South Korea firm says COVID-19 antiviral drug results positive

By
Thomas Maresca

South-Korea-firm-says-COVID-19-antiviral-drug-results-positive.jpg

Health workers in protective suits test potential coronavirus patients at a drive-through center at Seoul Metropolitan Eunpyeong Hospital on March 4. File Photo by Thomas Maresca/UPI | License Photo

expand_gallery.svg

SEOUL, June 1 (UPI) -- South Korean pharmaceutical firm Celltrion announced positive results from a pre-clinical study of a new antiviral treatment for COVID-19 on Monday, reporting a 100-fold reduction in viral load of the disease in animal testing.

The Incheon-based company said it anticipates starting its first clinical trials on humans in July, according to a news release issued Monday.

Advertisement

Celltrion, which conducted the study in collaboration with South Korea's Chungbuk National University College of Medicine, said that its antibody treatment showed a rapid reduction of symptoms followed by a remission of the disease in comparison with a placebo group.

"The research team observed improved recovery in terms of clinical symptom scores such as runny nose, cough and body aches, after the first day of treatment," the statement said. "From the fifth day, significant clinical remission was observed."

RELATED Researchers unsure about COVID-19 reinfection

Two groups were given high and low dosages of the treatment in the trial and were compared to a placebo control group.

The group treated with a high dosage of the drug saw its viral load reduced by 100-fold, Celltrion said, while both high- and low-dosage groups saw lung inflammation cleared within six days. Recovery time was also shortened with the drug.

The company is building upon its research in antiviral antibody treatments for other coronaviruses, including Middle East Respiratory Syndrome and influenza, said Kwon Ki-sung, head of research and development at Celltrion, in a statement.

RELATED U.N. expert: Repatriation of North Korea workers delayed amid COVID-19

"Celltrion is leveraging its advanced technologies to lead efforts to develop a novel antiviral antibody treatment containing potent therapeutic antibodies that can neutralize the virus," Kwon said.

He added that the company has the capacity to produce large quantities of the treatment.

"Celltrion hopes to commence first-in-human clinical trials in July and has the capability to roll out mass production of the therapeutic antibody treatment once it is ready," Kwon said.

RELATED Korea startup develops COVID-19 early detection patch

Drug companies around the world are racing to find vaccines and treatments for the infectious respiratory disease that has resulted in more than 372,000 deaths around the globe so far, according to a tracker operated by Johns Hopkins University.

Remdesivir, an antiviral drug by U.S. pharmaceutical company Gilead Sciences, showed effectiveness at reducing recovery time and lowering the fatality rate of COVID-19 patients during a placebo-controlled trial, the results of which were announced in late April.

South Korean health officials said on Friday that they would seek expedited approval from the country's Ministry of Food and Drug Safety to import remdesivir as a treatment for critically ill COVID-19 patients.

South Korea reported 35 new COVID-19 cases on Monday as the country looks to contain new cluster infections tied to nightclubs in Seoul and an e-commerce distribution center in nearby Bucheon. Monday's new cases represented a continued decline from the 75 cases reported on Thursday, which marked a nearly two-month high.

Overall COVID-19 cases in South Korea rose Monday to 11,503 while the death toll rose by one to 271.

The cornerstone of science is repeatable observations under any conditions; the issue with any virus is that what we do know is that over time they mutant, so from that simplistic pov it means that constructing a virus of any description would be the ultimate folly; as I said earlier you can't make a virus prejudiced i.e. you cannot make it so that it is selective and favours one set of racial genotypes over another - virus's do not have an 'intelligence' it simply has a RNA strand that causes it's genes to replicate and repeat - they are not programmable. It's a nice fanciful piece of quasi science to claim that they could be, but teh best brains in the World have no managed to pull it off.

So there is no repeatable science to support any of the claims and there is even less evidence to even try, the virus is being studied at over 200 of the Worlds top scientific institutions; nothing is being ruled out, but good science is being applied and ruled in.

If you believe and understand the scientific method, (which drives repeatable conclusion science), then any chance of anything being 'manufactured' is to be honest simply ludicrous in my view and those who study virus's for a career/living.

That’s encouraging..thanks.

For the first time since about early March BBC's News at Ten didn't lead with Covid. Instead it focused on the riots in America. It's the same with The Times today. The first story on the front page is the riots. I don't whether this is reflective of the mood since the rapid easing of lockdown i.e. Covid is no longer the big news story because so many people seem to think we've passed the worst of it and ignoring it now. Or the riots really are bigger news than Covid to people in this country.

For the first time since about early March BBC's News at Ten didn't lead with Covid. Instead it focused on the riots in America. It's the same with The Times today. The first story on the front page is the riots. I don't whether this is reflective of the mood since the rapid easing of lockdown i.e. Covid is no longer the big news story because so many people seem to think we've passed the worst of it and ignoring it now. Or the riots really are bigger news than Covid to people in this country.

To see the US once again ripping itself apart over the actions of yet another rotten apple is incredibly sad, but there is also the element of US rioting (just as there was in Tottenham) that it's the chance to do some 'free' shopping - it's demeaned the reason for the protests, but it also says much about how some think they can behave - given the right excuse.

It's such a tragedy.

To see the US once again ripping itself apart over the actions of yet another rotten apple is incredibly sad, but there is also the element of US rioting (just as there was in Tottenham) that it's the chance to do some 'free' shopping - it's demeaned the reason for the protests, but it also says much about how some think they can behave - given the right excuse.

It's such a tragedy.
I think describing it as another rotten apple is under selling the issue that there are fundamental problems to the very core with American society. Of course some of the people on the streets are acting terribly, but generally when so many people are out on the streets it's because there's quite a lot has gone wrong for a long time. It's so sad to see, but tbh it was only a matter of time before this sort of thing happened in America.

I think describing it as another rotten apple is under selling the issue that there are fundamental problems to the very core with American society. Of course some of the people on the streets are acting terribly, but generally when so many people are out on the streets it's because there's quite a lot has gone wrong for a long time. It's so sad to see, but tbh it was only a matter of time before this sort of thing happened in America.

I couldn't immediately think of another term to describe him - but if you have one, fire away!

As for the rest, I lived in the states for long enough to know that what seem simple issues to us, are far more complex than I would deem myself qualified to judge them on, a partner in a business in the US is like most every other Black American - angry, if not furious at these continuing examples of Police behaviour, but even he now is just as angry at how he sees the bad elements in his community acting as if it's just another opportunity for free shopping/looting, it's gone way beyond protesting about the death of a man now. He wants Trump to deploy the army now and start shooting looters on sight.

There is no evidence to suggest a coronavirus 'second wave' is coming
Misleading models based on the Spanish flu cannot be allowed to dictate our policy on lifting lockdown

Hugh Pennington 1 June 2020 • 7:00pm

The functions of a Covid-19 press conference seem to be to transmit information, praise the indefatigable, and brandish a doom‑laden cudgel at the public. A common theme is that if virus-control measures are not observed, or are relaxed too soon, there will be a second “wave” or “peak” of infections.
In the UK, an often-repeated prognostication has been that this second wave might be more virulent than the first and that the NHS would be overwhelmed. The message from Geneva during the World Health Organisation’s press briefing on May 25 was more nuanced, but of the same ilk. The point was made that the decline in cases in many countries has been due to the control measures, rather than to the virus running out of steam of its own accord, and that relaxing them could lead to an immediate second peak for which we should get ready.
I am a second-wave sceptic. I said so in evidence to the Scottish Parliament’s health and sport committee in April, and was criticised by Nicola Sturgeon for it.
I started my virological career working on viruses spread by the respiratory route and was mentored at that time by June Almeida, the discoverer of human coronaviruses. I consider that the evidence supporting the notion of a second wave or peak of Covid-19 infections in the UK that would swamp the NHS is very weak. If we get the easing of lockdown wrong, far more likely would be a continuation of infections, many in the form of localised outbreaks, but not waves or peaks.
The idea of a devastating second wave comes almost entirely from the 1918 Spanish flu pandemic. The first wave occurred in June and July and the second in October and November. The first was mild and the second was lethal. It is yet to be explained why the infections occurred in waves and why the virus faded away after the first and then returned.
Mathematical modelling textbooks do not discuss it. There was no effective social distancing in 1918 and it had nothing to do with herd immunity. It is possible that the first-wave virus differed genetically from the one that caused the second, but this is an entirely speculative theory because no virus samples from the first are available for scientists to test – influenza virus wasn’t discovered until 1933.
Subsequent flu pandemics have been much less lethal. The Asian flu second wave was less lethal than the first. Hong Kong flu in 1968-69 caused fewer deaths but had a second wave that killed more in Britain than the first (though the first was more lethal in America). And swine flu in 2009 killed 10 in its first wave and 137 in its second.

Flu is very different from Covid-19. Although both are commonly spread by the respiratory route, and both have infected prime ministers (David Lloyd George got the Spanish flu), the more we learn about Covid-19, the less its biology and epidemiology resemble that of flu.
There have been no flu-like second waves (or even peaks) in China, South Korea or New Zealand. There was no second wave with Sars, another coronavirus.
In the absence of controls, flu has an R rate of seven; Covid-19’s is between two and three. And far more than with flu, Covid-19 cases have very commonly occurred in clusters. In New Zealand (which may well have eradicated the virus), 41 per cent of cases occurred in 16 clusters of 13 or more cases in each. And, sadly, in the UK the virus has taken an enormous toll on residents of care homes, many of which have had multiple cases.
The only country so far to have made a good start with virus control and then suffered a relapse has been Singapore, when the virus got into the migrant-worker dormitories in which infection control and social distancing was almost impossible (just as in British care homes).
Defeatist flu models still lurk behind current Covid-19 predictions. That the virus will persist for ages is a flu concept. These predictions should be put to one side. Like Sars, and unlike flu, the virus is eradicable. If China and New Zealand are striving to be free of it, we should be, too.
Hugh Pennington is emeritus professor of bacteriology at the University of Aberdeen

Interesting ex.

As I've said before it must be very difficult to make policies based on limited understanding and disagreement among the experts. Whilst I hope Pennington is correct he's making a prediction based on picking and choosing which viruses he'd model on, but picking things that spread far less than c19 already has. He may be right that Spanish flu is a bad choice, but who is to say sars is a better one? It would perhaps be dangerous to assume no 2nd wave will come this early, though an assumption it will definitely come also seems foolish.

It's also confusing that he's calling for an easing of lockdown without fear of a 2nd wave whilst comparing to New Zealand whose early lock down and closing of borders (plus smaller and sparser population) have been what got them to where they are now. Surely either you have to call for us eradicating with lockdown measures before easing, or argue it'll die out naturally and NZ were too strict.

Interesting ex.

As I've said before it must be very difficult to make policies based on limited understanding and disagreement among the experts. Whilst I hope Pennington is correct he's making a prediction based on picking and choosing which viruses he'd model on, but picking things that spread far less than c19 already has. He may be right that Spanish flu is a bad choice, but who is to say sars is a better one? It would perhaps be dangerous to assume no 2nd wave will come this early, though an assumption it will definitely come also seems foolish.

It's also confusing that he's calling for an easing of lockdown without fear of a 2nd wave whilst comparing to New Zealand whose early lock down and closing of borders (plus smaller and sparser population) have been what got them to where they are now. Surely either you have to call for us eradicating with lockdown measures before easing, or argue it'll die out naturally and NZ were too strict.

Got to say that I agree with everything you say. We seem to be in an environment now where all and sundry (experts in the field and some who just seem to be jumping into it) all want their place in the 'I warned you camp or the I told you so camp'..

I too found the reference to New Zealand a bizarre one, but also the call to eradicate it - without of course any detail given of just how we could do that?

All very frustrating, but then predictive science often is..

It's such a tragedy.
Spot on with that post.

Peaceful protests thumbs up but rioting, attacking your own kind and as you say "free shopping" thumbs down, some people! any excuse.

There's a 2nd pandemic sweeping through the country post lock down release and this is the byproduct of it. Scummy behaviour is certainly much higher than usual at the moment.

Where has all that hope for a all new, improved, changed society post coronavirus gone....
Sorry mate there really was never any hope, well not in my book anyway, we live in a me me self serve society now, and long will it last until attitudes and respect for others change.

I too
I couldn't immediately think of another term to describe him - but if you have one, fire away!

As for the rest, I lived in the states for long enough to know that what seem simple issues to us, are far more complex than I would deem myself qualified to judge them on, a partner in a business in the US is like most every other Black American - angry, if not furious at these continuing examples of Police behaviour, but even he now is just as angry at how he sees the bad elements in his community acting as if it's just another opportunity for free shopping/looting, it's gone way beyond protesting about the death of a man now. He wants Trump to deploy the army now and start shooting looters on sight.

I dont feel qualified to have much of an opinion on this but it seems extreme to resort to such a violent demonstration. Are things that bad that such scenes are justified ?
I found it a little coincidental that both the police officer who did the kneeling and the victim may have known each other by working at the same place previously. The victim had previously served 7 years for armed robbery. The police officer obviously went beyond measures necessary to restrain the victim and he probably is a bad apple within the police force. There were I think 3 other officers involved in the incident who could have intervened also.
72 % of the USA prison population are of Black African origin, so it seems more from that ethnicity commit crime and will get arrested. That could mean a higher death tally while in police custody in comparison to White arrests. What are the causes of death in custody ? Resisting arrest, drugs, alcohol? It's not always going to be police violence that causes death. There may well be a trend which indicates a racist problem but I dont think rioting and looting is the way to bring about change.

Finally got response to my test.....so scompleted it and sent it back,...got results
it came back negative...withloads of caveat so what does tht tell me...I aint got it at this precise moment in time of the test ...have I had it...not part of the test...what doies that tell me sweet FA

Good news Greavsie!