Covid, Phase II. Commonsense is the order of the day. | Page 90 | Vital Football

Covid, Phase II. Commonsense is the order of the day.

Brain diseases and psychiatric disorders ‘more common’ after Covid-19

08 April, 2021 By Steve Ford

A distressed young woman, possibly with long Covid

Source: Ingimage

There is a potential link between Covid-19 and subsequent mental health and neurological conditions, according to the largest study yet to look into the relationship.
It found one in three Covid-19 survivors received a neurological or psychiatric diagnosis within six months of infection with coronavirus, adding to growing evidence of so-called ‘long Covid’.

“These are real-world data from a large number of patients”
Paul Harrison​
The observational study of more than 230,000 patient health records was published in The Lancet Psychiatry journal and looked at 14 neurological and mental health disorders.
Anxiety and mood disorders were the most common conditions found among Covid-19 survivors, said the researchers.
They noted that, since the pandemic began last year, there had been growing concern that survivors might be at increased risk of neurological disorders.
A previous observational study by the same group reported that Covid-19 survivors were at increased risk of mood and anxiety disorders in the first three months after infection.

However, until now, there have been no large-scale data examining the risks of neurological as well as psychiatric diagnoses in the six months after Covid-19 infection.
The latest study involved data on 236,379 US Covid-19 patients. Those aged over 10 years who became infected after 20 January 2020 and were still alive on 13 December were analysed.
This group was compared with 105,579 patients diagnosed with influenza and 236,038 patients diagnosed with any respiratory tract infection, including influenza.
Overall, the estimated incidence of being diagnosed with a neurological or mental health disorder following Covid-19 infection was 34%.
“Sadly, many of the disorders identified in this study tend to be chronic or recurrent”
Jonathan Rogers​
For 13% of these people, it was their first recorded neurological or psychiatric diagnosis, noted the researchers.

The most common diagnoses after Covid-19 were anxiety disorders (in 17% of patients), mood disorders (14%), substance misuse disorders (7%), and insomnia (5%).
The incidence of neurological outcomes was lower, including 0.6% for brain haemorrhage, 2.1% for ischaemic stroke, and 0.7% for dementia.
According to the study authors, the risks of a neurological or psychiatric diagnosis were greatest in, but not limited to, patients who had severe Covid-19.
A neurological or psychiatric diagnosis occurred in 38% of those who had been admitted to hospital, 46% of those in intensive care, and 62% in those who had delirium during their Covid-19 infection.
The authors also looked at flu and other respiratory tract infections over the same period to help see whether the neurological and mental health complications were linked specifically to Covid-19.
After taking into account underlying characteristics, there was a 44% greater risk of neurological and mental health diagnoses after Covid-19 than after flu and 16% than with respiratory tract infections.
As a result, the authors suggested that Covid-19 does lead to a greater risk of neurological and psychiatric disorders than these other conditions.
“The effect across the whole population may be substantial for health and social care systems”
Paul Harrison​
However, there was no clear evidence that Covid-19 led to an increased risk of parkinsonism or and Guillain-Barré syndrome.
Lead study author Professor Paul Harrison, from the University of Oxford, said: “These are real-world data from a large number of patients.
“They confirm the high rates of psychiatric diagnoses after Covid-19, and show that serious disorders affecting the nervous system (such as stroke and dementia) occur too.
“While the latter are much rarer, they are significant, especially in those who had severe Covid-19,” said Professor Harrison.
“Although the individual risks for most disorders are small, the effect across the whole population may be substantial for health and social care systems,” he noted.
“As a result, health care systems need to be resourced to deal with the anticipated need, both within primary and secondary care services,” he added.
Writing in a comment article, Dr Jonathan Rogers, from University College London, said: “Sadly, many of the disorders identified in this study tend to be chronic or recurrent, so we can anticipate that the impact of Covid-19 could be with us for many years.”

A personal perspective:

Since recovering, I have found my mood swinging, I have had difficulty in concentrating and I have found I'm quicker to get angry/agitated both with myself and others.

My intolerance for stupidity/idiots is at an all-time high. I can't seem to avoid them; Stupid people, many of whom expect their government to do everything, answer everything, provide everything and blame everyone else for their circumstances are really pissing me off. Live is tough, shit happens, spend time preparing yourself, and whilst it won't cure everything, every problem you have in your life, it will help.

I am keenly aware of these post-infection 'symptoms' and am working hard to counter them, especially with exercise, which I would say makes a huge difference, the catch-22 is that after I'm exhausted by the efforts.

Which in turn makes me start thinking up excuses to avoid it! I know if I allow myself to be, I'm a lazy bastard by predetermination, so I refuse to allow myself to get away with it, but also know I have to give myself time to fully recover.

I now hate my personal trainer with a passion (whom I appointed to get me physically and mentally back on track), I almost wanted to punched his lights out this morning = so now I know I have serious anger issues lol!

I have of course constantly told myself to 'man up' and stop whining.

That said, our play, our results haven't helped me one iota! LOL!

Beijing Admits Chinese Vaccines’ Effectiveness Low

By The Associated Press

April 11, 2021 Updated: April 11, 2021

biggersmaller
Print

In a rare admission of the weakness of Chinese coronavirus vaccines, the country’s top disease control official says their effectiveness is low and the government is considering mixing them to get a boost.
Chinese vaccines “don’t have very high protection rates,” said the director of the Chinese regime’s Centers for Disease Control (CDC), Gao Fu, at a conference on April 10 in the southwestern city of Chengdu.
Beijing has distributed hundreds of millions of doses abroad while trying to promote doubt about the effectiveness of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine made using the previously experimental messenger RNA, or mRNA, process.
“It’s now under formal consideration whether we should use different vaccines from different technical lines for the immunization process,” Gao said.
Officials at a news conference Sunday didn’t respond directly to questions about Gao’s comment or possible changes in official plans. But another CDC official said developers are working on mRNA-based vaccines.
Gao did not respond to a phone call requesting further comment.
“The mRNA vaccines developed in our country have also entered the clinical trial stage,” said the official, Wang Huaqing. He gave no timeline for possible use.
Experts say mixing vaccines, or sequential immunization, might boost effectiveness. Researchers in Britain are studying a possible combination of Pfizer-BioNTech and the traditional AstraZeneca vaccine.
The coronavirus pandemic, which began in central China in late 2019, marks the first time the Chinese drug industry has played a role in responding to a global health emergency.
Residents receive the COVID-19 vaccine on the move vaccination vehicle during the 3rd World Health Expo held in Wuhan, Hubei Province, China, on April 8, 2021. (Getty Images)
Vaccines made by Sinovac, a private company, and Sinopharm, a state-owned firm, have made up the majority of Chinese vaccines distributed to several dozen countries including Mexico, Turkey, Indonesia, Hungary, Brazil and Turkey.
The effectiveness of a Sinovac vaccine at preventing symptomatic infections was found to be as low as 50.4 percent by researchers in Brazil, near the 50 percent threshold at which health experts say a vaccine is useful. By comparison, the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine has been found to be 97 percent effective.
Health experts say Chinese vaccines are unlikely to be sold to the United States, Western Europe, and Japan due to the complexity of the approval process.
A Sinovac spokesman, Liu Peicheng, acknowledged varying levels of effectiveness have been found but said that can be due to the age of people in a study, the strain of virus, and other factors.
The Chinese regime has yet to approve any foreign vaccines for use in China.
Gao gave no details of possible changes in strategy but cited mRNA as a possibility.
“Everyone should consider the benefits mRNA vaccines can bring for humanity,” Gao said. “We must follow it carefully and not ignore it just because we already have several types of vaccines already.”
Gao previously questioned the safety of mRNA vaccines. He was quoted by the official Xinhua News Agency as saying in December he couldn’t rule out negative side effects because they were being used for the first time on healthy people.
Chinese state media and popular health and science blogs also have questioned the safety and effectiveness of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine.
As of April 2, some 34 million people in China have received both of the two doses required for Chinese vaccines, and about 65 million received one, according to Gao.
The Sinovac spokesman, Liu, said studies find protection “may be better” if time between vaccinations is longer than the current 14 days but gave no indication that might be made standard practice.
By Joe McDonald and Hiuzhong Wu

Attachments

• 1618167522670.png
    1618167522670.png
    430.8 KB · Views: 1
A personal perspective:

Since recovering, I have found my mood swinging, I have had difficulty in concentrating and I have found I'm quicker to get angry/agitated both with myself and others.

My intolerance for stupidity/idiots is at an all-time high. I can't seem to avoid them; Stupid people, many of whom expect their government to do everything, answer everything, provide everything and blame everyone else for their circumstances are really pissing me off. Live is tough, shit happens, spend time preparing yourself, and whilst it won't cure everything, every problem you have in your life, it will help.

I am keenly aware of these post-infection 'symptoms' and am working hard to counter them, especially with exercise, which I would say makes a huge difference, the catch-22 is that after I'm exhausted by the efforts.

Which in turn makes me start thinking up excuses to avoid it! I know if I allow myself to be, I'm a lazy bastard by predetermination, so I refuse to allow myself to get away with it, but also know I have to give myself time to fully recover.

I now hate my personal trainer with a passion (whom I appointed to get me physically and mentally back on track), I almost wanted to punched his lights out this morning = so now I know I have serious anger issues lol!

I have of course constantly told myself to 'man up' and stop whining.

That said, our play, our results haven't helped me one iota! LOL!

Ex the fact that you recognise all this is a strength. Many people do not face up to what they know is not their normal pattern of behaviour and sink further into the mire, so well done you. By your nature I can tell, even if your predisposition is not so, you battle to overcome this and strive to get well and back on track, Well done and keep up the good fight.

Spurs have obviously contributed to your current phase and that has affected all of us on here. Shame on the manager and some of the players for letting us all down bigtime. Heh ho thats what supporting spurs has become though. If they showed half the fight you are showing we would be top four.

Ex the fact that you recognise all this is a strength. Many people do not face up to what they know is not their normal pattern of behaviour and sink further into the mire, so well done you. By your nature I can tell, even if your predisposition is not so, you battle to overcome this and strive to get well and back on track, Well done and keep up the good fight.

Spurs have obviously contributed to your current phase and that has affected all of us on here. Shame on the manager and some of the players for letting us all down bigtime. Heh ho thats what supporting spurs has become though. If they showed half the fight you are showing we would be top four.

Thanks for the kind words, if you saw the state I am in this morning, you'd maybe tell me to 'man-up!'

It is beginning to feel like a real struggle and my mental reserves are low.

But thanks for the encouragement.

Denmark has now halted the Astra jab completely. I think I read the Johnson and Johnson one had some clotting issues. Is there a test that can be done before human use. Some people have lost their lives. Should clotting be a standard test on vaccines on animals before humans ?