Covid in the camp now | Vital Football

Covid in the camp now

Think the EFL must be looking at suspending leagues...but then again EFL & quick decisions don't go hand in hand
We need to be careful. If they start suspending leagues we are in points per game territory and where would that leave us? Probably league 2

We need to be careful. If they start suspending leagues we are in points per game territory and where would that leave us? Probably league 2

I doubt that they would go to a points per game solution given that we are only half way through the season and some clubs have not played each other yet, I suspect that if the league could not be finished from this point they would scrap promotion and relegation. TBH it might not be a bad outcome for us and would allow the league to reset with a fresh start for a new season when people have been vaccinated and fans allowed back in the stadiums.

To be honest I find the whole thing a farce. The rules around how and why games can be postponed for covid are not transparent and I’d suggest deliberately confusing. Some clubs can cancel matches, others are told to play on. The PHE stipulated isolation period is ignored by the efl as we saw when we played Crewe and Paul Warnes comments the other day. There is no integrity left whatsoever. Some clubs could play with crowds, others couldn’t. How is this fair competition?

It’s not just the efl, all the footballing authorities are equally as bad. International football has carried on, even friendlies. Players jetting off all over the world for these and europe to play in uefa club matches. Exceptions on isolation upon UK entry are made yet it’s perfectly evident players are still getting infected.

Not one single competition has been cancelled in the condensed calendar and the mantra is we must play on at all costs so they don’t lose money. Player welfare it seems is not a consideration. In the FA Cup you must play even with just 14 squad players now. It just makes a mockery of the whole thing. I think the only way they’ll curtail the season is if a player dies from Covid. Other than that it’ll be crack on.

To be honest I find the whole thing a farce. The rules around how and why games can be postponed for covid are not transparent and I’d suggest deliberately confusing. Some clubs can cancel matches, others are told to play on. The PHE stipulated isolation period is ignored by the efl as we saw when we played Crewe and Paul Warnes comments the other day. There is no integrity left whatsoever. Some clubs could play with crowds, others couldn’t. How is this fair competition?

It’s not just the efl, all the footballing authorities are equally as bad. International football has carried on, even friendlies. Players jetting off all over the world for these and europe to play in uefa club matches. Exceptions on isolation upon UK entry are made yet it’s perfectly evident players are still getting infected.

Not one single competition has been cancelled in the condensed calendar and the mantra is we must play on at all costs so they don’t lose money. Player welfare it seems is not a consideration. In the FA Cup you must play even with just 14 squad players now. It just makes a mockery of the whole thing. I think the only way they’ll curtail the season is if a player dies from Covid. Other than that it’ll be crack on.

👏👏👏👏👏 ....well said MiW, agree totally...sadly those gravy train associations (PL / EFL / UEFA) care only about themselves & the ££££/€€€€

I doubt that they would go to a points per game solution given that we are only half way through the season and some clubs have not played each other yet, I suspect that if the league could not be finished from this point they would scrap promotion and relegation. TBH it might not be a bad outcome for us and would allow the league to reset with a fresh start for a new season when people have been vaccinated and fans allowed back in the stadiums.
That’s an understatement. It would be the best possible outcome for us, provided we could utilise the furlough scheme to pay wages from here on in.

Points per game is not an option less than half way through the season. Plenty clubs haven't played each other yet, and because of weather cancellations as well as Covid, some clubs have played far more games than others: Stanley have played just 16 games in League One, whereas several have played 21 games. That's almost 25% difference, so points per game wouldn't be comparing like for like circumstances.

Essentially, it'll all depend on how quickly games can be played. If it's going to be April before a significant number of games can be played (even April is a big If, the way things are going) then they'd be better just scrapping this season. The run in would be hellishly busy with six months of games to be played in three months... That frequency is impossible for small squads like you find in League One and Two and still a major challenge even for Championship clubs and some of the smaller teams in the PL.

Player welfare, though, is seemingly very far down the list of EPL and Premier League priorities, and no doubt the money men will be cobbling together some half baked scheme to keep the pennies rolling in at the expense of player and staff safety, the integrity of the game and anything else that really should matter in sport.

I'm rapidly losing interest in football as a whole, if I'm honest. It's only the fact that I genuinely love our club that I'm still maintaining any interest. Time was that I'd watch any game because I loved football for football's sake, but that's long gone now the entire sport has turned into a billionaires' pissing competition.

Last edited:
The_Pon

I'm rapidly losing interest in football as a whole, if I'm honest. It's only the fact that I genuinely love our club that I'm still maintaining any interest. Time was that I'd watch any game because I loved football for football's sake, but that's long gone [/QUOTE]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That statement is 100% how I feel, and I've felt like that for a couple of years now

Good post

The_Pon

I'm rapidly losing interest in football as a whole, if I'm honest. It's only the fact that I genuinely love our club that I'm still maintaining any interest. Time was that I'd watch any game because I loved football for football's sake, but that's long gone
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That statement is 100% how I feel, and I've felt like that for a couple of years now[/QUOTE]
Same here, along with some other Latics fans i know,
Football used to be the 'be all and end all' now it's getting to mean f'all.

Carrying on from MiW's post ( #7), I wonder that after the government's announcement of a total lockdown will the Footballing authorities & other sporting bodies decide to do the decent thing & cancel all sporting events or will they be too busy counting there beans whilst filling their larders??

Carrying on from MiW's post ( #7), I wonder that after the government's announcement of a total lockdown will the Footballing authorities & other sporting bodies decide to do the decent thing & cancel all sporting events or will they be too busy counting there beans whilst filling their larders??

You only have to look at Celtic's action today to know that clubs and authorities will not do the decent thing.
Link:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55535738

They’ll bury their heads in the sand and carry on. Sporting integrity, player welfare and wider community impact are not a consideration. The only consideration will be money and so they’ll carry on.

Judging by comments on here I’m probably in a minority in that I still enjoy watching the PL for example, but there is a bigger picture here in that the virus is far more transmissible and the health service under severe strain. Thankfully there is a pathway out now with the vaccine rollout and my personal opinion is the leagues should be halted to avoid unnecessary transmission given the end is in sight.

Cancel the season and no promotion or relegation would be a epic result for us. Give us a chance to get takeover done and rebuild in L1 rather than ending up in L2.

But i doubt they will though.

The worlds gone 'kin mad!!!!!

Dont suspend the season but get footballers vaccinated as a priority!!!!
Fuming, absolutely fuming whist we wait for vulnerable and the elderly to be vaccinated , a person who I previously had a bit of respect for comes out with this:

Sean Dyche, has called for fast-tracked coronavirus vaccinations in football, with the money saved on testing being diverted to the NHS.