Covid at GTFC | Page 3 | Vital Football

Covid at GTFC

This stinks. Why? Not because of Grimsby, with 1 positive test, who have done the right thing by govt advice, nor Leyton Orient with a shedload of positive tests who correctly postponed and now been thrown out of the Carabao Cup.

So why in heavens were West Ham allowed to proceed with and win their game midweek when cand seem to be set to play on Sunday despite 3 positive tests? Surely track and trace protocols require the whole West Ham squad "bubble" to self isolate and may instead have infected Hull players?

As I say, it stinks.

When we heard about Grimsby having games off because of an infected player yet West Ham gaily continuing despite multiple infected people, stinks was our immediate reaction too.

And aside from that, it's now hard to see how this season is going to get played to completion.
Cases are now rising rapidly and more and more players and staff will get this virus at clubs all over.
Hence more and more matches will keep getting postponed.
And presuming cases continue to rise, and with winter coming up that has to be the right presumption, then stricter lockdown measures have to be expected in all areas.

Add the complete lack of fans at our level, then playing this whole season and funding it too both now look most unlikely.

Our best hope is that if season is curtailed again that we're still sat in a promotion spot when it happens.

I don't think you're wrong. If it is curtailed, though, it could be too early for a decision on places. It's possible that it will, in effect, just be abandoned.

I don't think you're wrong. If it is curtailed, though, it could be too early for a decision on places. It's possible that it will, in effect, just be abandoned.

Yes indeed.
Different leagues did different things for season 2019-20. We had Premier & Championship completing the season after the delay. We had league 1 & 2, deciding places on points per game, then carrying out automatic promotion & relegation plus playing out the play off matches.
Other leagues lower down just said all abandoned with no teams up or down.
Guess it would depend on whether we make it past at least half the season or not as to what could happen. And who knows, we might get all the season but I very much doubt it.

I was thinking if you have to call matches off for Covid the opposition awarded the match 2-0, that would avoid a fixture pile-up. Probably even itself up over the season.
But thinkng about it, would just mean clubs not declaring they've got infections.

I was thinking if you have to call matches off for Covid the opposition awarded the match 2-0, that would avoid a fixture pile-up. Probably even itself up over the season.
But thinkng about it, would just mean clubs not declaring they've got infections.

I'd have done that to Celtic and Aberdeen when they had players deliberately flout rules.
Can't really punish clubs though if players just happen to contract this.

Problem is, given that EFL tests aren't mandatory, if a Club progresses in the Cup then potentially puts itself at a disadvantage because they're mandatory ahead of FA Cup ones I believe.

Needs to be on a case by case basis as they're doing.

For example, a Radio Humberside reporter tweeted, and then quickly deleted, that Grimsby had perhaps not quite followed the regulations correctly, which is why they weren't allowed to play but Stevenage were.

Crewe's is a different case to the above two as well.