Covid 19 | Page 11 | Vital Football

Covid 19

???? I was saying what Thatcher would do. Didn't think she was a Commie. Laissez faire free for all under bumbling Johnson. Shambles. Thatcher must be turning in her grave.
We could bring back Blair, he could accuse the Chinese of using weapons of mass destruction and deciare war on them.
Most of our politicians are crap, I think Boris is at least trying to do the right thing, unless you think he should ignore the scientific and medical experts that have been guiding his actions.

We could bring back Blair, he could accuse the Chinese of using weapons of mass destruction and deciare war on them.
Most of our politicians are crap, I think Boris is at least trying to do the right thing, unless you think he should ignore the scientific and medical experts that have been guiding his actions.
Gullible and naive.

Even the Tories know Johnson is purely out for himself. That's why I wanted Hunt to win the leadership even though he is apparently more right wing than Johnson. I say "apparently" as it is hard to know if Johnson believes in anything other than himself. At least the rest of the Tories tend to believe in what they say, whether I agree with them or not.

Anyone else thinking pubs might close once the summer is over ?

SD much harder to manage indoors. I think pubs might be a summer activity all the time Covid is with us ?

That's a great point. Particularly the old fashioned boozers with character; low ceilings & wonky doors etc. Bad news for jobs.

A couple of fellas I know who run pubs in the City are really struggling and think it's just a matter of time before the brewery pulls the plug.

Gullible and naive.

Even the Tories know Johnson is purely out for himself. That's why I wanted Hunt to win the leadership even though he is apparently more right wing than Johnson. I say "apparently" as it is hard to know if Johnson believes in anything other than himself. At least the rest of the Tories tend to believe in what they say, whether I agree with them or not.
Sounds strange when talking about a man who is warning about a second wave and further lockdowns to save lives, especially when advice from scientists is that he shouldn't worry about it.
Sounds more like someone who is putting human cost above financial or political to me.
Look, I get it that you don't like the man and some constructive criticism is great but you're letting yourself get all bent out of shape over him

Sounds strange when talking about a man who is warning about a second wave and further lockdowns to save lives, especially when advice from scientists is that he shouldn't worry about it.
Sounds more like someone who is putting human cost above financial or political to me.
Look, I get it that you don't like the man and some constructive criticism is great but you're letting yourself get all bent out of shape over him

He has certainly got more serious about things Nobby and his realisation that happy boosterism won't cut it is welcome. Let's hope he keeps to the new script but past form doesn't encourage optimism. I'm more relaxed now because I believe that the boring health care professionals, administrators and experts of all sorts are beginning to dig us out of a hole. The ordinary folk aren't doing badly either. We can all point at foolish behaviour but we have seen less civil disobedience than most other countries and lots of people are quietly doing good work.

That's a great point. Particularly the old fashioned boozers with character; low ceilings & wonky doors etc. Bad news for jobs.

A couple of fellas I know who run pubs in the City are really struggling and think it's just a matter of time before the brewery pulls the plug.
I was chatting to the owner of my local chippie last night and he has the same view. He's fine knocking out takeaways but is getting no one in for "sit down" meals. People are still too afraid to dine in. He pessimistically predicts it'll be a couple of years until it gets back to "normal", whatever that is.

I can see pubs being mothballed through the winter with a hope that next spring /summer we might be putting this further behind us.

Not sure if many independent pubs can survive on "garden takings" over a few months only.

He has certainly got more serious about things Nobby and his realisation that happy boosterism won't cut it is welcome. Let's hope he keeps to the new script but past form doesn't encourage optimism. I'm more relaxed now because I believe that the boring health care professionals, administrators and experts of all sorts are beginning to dig us out of a hole. The ordinary folk aren't doing badly either. We can all point at foolish behaviour but we have seen less civil disobedience than most other countries and lots of people are quietly doing good work.
Fair points but it depends which hole you're talking about. The same health care professionals are advising against worrying about a second wave which could be as destructive as the first, or more according to what you read.
Do we listen to them or him? Only time will tell.

20,000 protesters in Berlin complaining about lockdown.
What’s that about ?
Makes no sense at all.

20,000 protesters in Berlin complaining about lockdown.
What’s that about ?
Makes no sense at all.

That is bizarre. Ze Germans seemed to have been typically sensible and regimented during lockdown. My German family really questioned why we were so relaxed and liberal in our lockdown. I guess they have a percentage who are crazy as well

Baghdad thinks I'm a conspiray theory nutter fior imagining favours will be dished out but overnight we see an example of what I warned about.

I think my point whoooshed over your head a bit.

I think it is universally agreed that politicians are deemed to owe favours to those who support them, usually financially. I was mocking your focusing on a handful of Russians being given special treatment over all the other groups who donated.

It seems to be a bit of a meme on the left that Putin is effectively the head of some illuminati organisation and spends his day phoning other world leaders to tell them what to do. With the left, everything is always Russia, Russia, Russia! Russia was singlehandly responsible for Trump in the White House, people voting for Brexit, the Tories winning a landslide in the prior election, Russia is responsible for the Covid-19 virus and planted it in China to weaken both them and the western world**

Meanwhile any suggestions of wrongdoing made by conservatives leads to mocking of "and I bet you saw that posted on an anti-Vaxxor, Flat Earth conspiracy website". I've seen a number of posts on this forum where people suggested the anti-semite accusations within the Labour party was some sort of right wing conspiracy to undermine Labour in the run up to the last election.

When you look at most people in the House of Lords with business connections (and I assume this is what you were getting at), then a lot have business connections with a wide range of countries or religious groups. Right now, Russia is the big bad for the left. I bet on the grand scheme of things, those with Russian contacts are in the vast minority. I don't recall you making comments when Labour put forth Lord Poisonby who was director of one of the leading Russian gas and oil and reportedly had connections with Putin.

But to focus the point being made, the handful of people with Russian contacts will be competing with hundreds of other people who have also donated money to the Tories and maybe feel they are owed a few favours. When you also think back a few years and the bad blood caused by Boris as Foreign Secretary pointing the finger at the Russians over the Salisbury poisonings, I don't think Boris will be keen to give too many favours.

I'm sure the Russians who did get peerage recently aren't the first people to effectively buy a peerage and their associations with companies associated with Putin are not exactly secret and have been declared.

** I've seen this "Russia caused Covid" theory a few times and usually from anti-Vaxxors who think the Russians will then come up with a magical vaccine that will be forced injected and then somehow used to manipulate people while the xemu flowed through their veins.

I was chatting to the owner of my local chippie last night and he has the same view. He's fine knocking out takeaways but is getting no one in for "sit down" meals. People are still too afraid to dine in. He pessimistically predicts it'll be a couple of years until it gets back to "normal", whatever that is.

Quite a few of the restaurants (especially in London) our company deliver to fear a second wave/lockdown will be the end of them. They can just about get by on takeaways and customers dinning outside but they are unsure what the future holds beyond the summer when the weather isn't conducive to eating outside.

A lot of the Raddison hotels wie deliver to have already said they won't be reopening until the new year (or in one case to 2019 booking levels) and many have already made many staff redundant. The hospitality could well be almost obliterated by a second wave.

Quite a few of the restaurants (especially in London) our company deliver to fear a second wave/lockdown will be the end of them. They can just about get by on takeaways and customers dinning outside but they are unsure what the future holds beyond the summer when the weather isn't conducive to eating outside.

A lot of the Raddison hotels wie deliver to have already said they won't be reopening until the new year (or in one case to 2019 booking levels) and many have already made many staff redundant. The hospitality could well be almost obliterated by a second wave.
I know what you mean Captain.
Many hotels in Malta have totally written off 2020 and are planning to reopen next spring.
Funnily enough, the Raddison Blue is not one of them and hosted a weekend rave about three weeks ago.
Yep, they’ve had a spike and are now looking at restricting future weekend raves.

It does not sound to me that it has got worse. From the article itself:

Greater Manchester Police (GMP) said the decision was taken to help agencies respond "as effectively as possible", including with extra resources.
People "should not be alarmed" by the news as it was "standard practice", Manchester City Council said.

You may remember that NW mayors expressed the opinion that lockdown was eased too early given the R rate in that area in June. They were on to this early and were calling for action from government before it woke up.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/live-emergency-press-conference-rising-18376958

There is also the small matter of sick pay at £95 per week for many, who are invited to isolate. That needs to change quickly.

I think a local mayor would have the power to impose a local lockdown if he thinks it's needed. He would of course then have to take the flak from those who disagree with it.

I think there is something available at this time in U.K. laboratories , but it has to be stored at very low temperature. and this is a problem, but I believe this will be available soon.